Sick kitty: help needed.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goldenlight, Mar 8, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight

Kenzie, my 14 year old Calico cat, has been on Clavomox (ammoxicillin) since the evening of 3/2/10.

It's for an indolent lesion on her inner lip, discovered when she was in for a 'routine' dental cleaning.

The vet said if Kenzie's lip didn't look better in 5 or 6 days, to get a refill on the antibiotic; I got a 7 day course of liquid antibiotic. I had intended to get more, since I can't see any improvement.

Fifty milligrams of ammoxicillin; an old and cheap penicillin derivative; one capsule for a person. For a cat, about $25. Ouch!

The trouble is that when I got home, after being gone all day and evening, on Saturday, 3/6, Kenzie had eaten almost nothing. I got her to eat some treats: some turkey, some sardine, and some potato chips, and I gave her her antibiotic, and her Tapazole.

The Tapezole is to treat hyperthyroidism, diagnosed a year ago.

This morning, (well, about noon) Sunday, 3/7, she had eaten nothing over night. Even the turkey I had left out for her.

So, again, I gave her some treats, so her tummy wouldn't be empty, and gave her her antibiotic and Tapezole.

In just a few minutes, she threw up the small amount of food I had gotten her to eat, as well as the antibiotic, and her Tapezole.

I waited all day, and got her to eat a little bit of food.

I decided to give her a half dose of the antibiotics.

She just threw that up, along with her Tapazole, again.

Her tummy has been a bit more delicate since she's been on the Tapezole; nausea is THE most common side effect of that drug, unfortunately.

When I first started Kenzie on the Tapezole, a year ago, she had a very, very bad time with it, and I had to take her off of it for a week, and then and very slowly increase the dose over the course of several weeks, to get her to her full dose. She's been OK with the Tapezole since then, but I have noticed that she throws up if she eats too quickly.

I have taken to giving her half her food, waiting 15 minutes, and giving her the rest.

I expect the antibiotic is just making her poor tummy all that much worse.

I was wondering if switching to the tablet form of the antibiotic would be a little easier on her, since the liquid tastes terrible, I'm sure.

I was also wondering about an appetite stimulant. I remember somebody on the 'net mentioning a drug I can't recall the name of; I don't think it was a steroid, and I think it was in tablet form. Of course I can't find wherever I read that, now.:steamed:

I'm going to call the vet in the morning, but I have a meeting all afternoon, and if I can, I'd like to avoid having to bring Kenzie into the vet's office again.

She just HATES going to the vet; she's been there 3 times in the last month, it's very stressful for her, and being out of work, I'm trying to avoid the expense for ANOTHER vet's office fee.:steamed:

Just the antibiotic 'refill' is about $25. Any other meds will be equally expensive, I'm sure. I don't have much money to work with. :faint: The vet has gotten almost enough to buy a new Glock, in the past 4 weeks.

I did just force feed Kenzie a little bit of meat based baby food, but now Kenzie is hiding from me.

This is an old and cluttered house, and there are many places where Kenzie can hide, where I cannot find her. She has done this before, when she was so sick from the Tapazole. If she doesn't want me to find her, I won't find her.

So taking her to the vet's office tomorrow may be a moot point, anyway. This also happened once before.

Does anyone have any advice for me, please? Oh yes: Kenzie is 14 years old now. And quite sick. :crying:

Thank you.

2. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

I wish I had more to add that just saying a prayer for your kitty. I hope she recovers from this quickly and is with you for many more years.

3. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Prayers!

Is there a particular jingle she comes to? My idiot tux cat would drag his legless body down two flights of stairs if he heard the treat bag crinkle.

4. CBennett

CBennett

go to a different vet...and prayers out to you and kitty also but other than prayers...since im not a cat medical professional I cant help much. sometimes a differnet vet may know more or have a better idea of how to help...we switched vets like that and the cat went from thinking she was gonna be a goner then to getting different/new/better treatment at a different vet to lasting 2-3 more years with us.

5. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

I hate to be the cold one, but cats are like disposable razors, they get worn out, and they cost about 5 bucks to get a new one.

My brother went into about 2k in debt to take his girlfriend's cat to the vet and it still ended up dying....so now they have a new cat, and he is still 2k in debt over the last one.

Our family cat was 17 when she was put down. My dad didn't spend thousands of dollars to give the cat a couple more days to be miserable, he spent 10 cents and put her down humanely.

I am sorry to hear your cat is sick, but do you really think you are doing it a favor by pumping it with medication to keep it alive? How much quality of life is that cat having....

Again, I am sorry to be the blunt one, and I hope it works out for you.

6. Dragline

Dragline

We have a 17 year old cat that requires Tapazole (well Methimazole) and we have a pharmacy compound it to a cream which you rub into kitty's ear and the medicine is absorbed transdermally. This is much less intrusive then shoving pills down his throat and easier on the stomach too.

The appetite stimulant we were given at one time for our cat (it worked very quickly) is called Cyproheptadine.

7. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

Sorry about your kitty - it does sound like a change of vet might be in order just because the things you have been doing don't look like they are helping enough. Best to you both.

8. B. Somm

B. Somm Lady B/Team OAF CLM Millennium Member

Is Kenzie doing any better goldenlight?

B. :hugs: :angel:

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Try a new and highly recommended vet A.S.A.P.!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  10. Jdog

Jdog

So for $5.10 your kitty problem will be solved

11. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Prayers. I had a cat pass away recently.

I don't mean to sound like a girly man but it was tough to watch...
    I'm definitely a animal man...people not so much. I can be cruel to people.
    Animals definitely hold a spot in my heart.

Best of luck to you.

12. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Goldenlight........

like others here have said......take Kenzie to another vet. Tell the new vet your issues.

This is such a tough thing.......you do sound like a caring and compassionate human Goldenlight.......Kenzie is lucky to have a caring human in her life.

Cat's kidneys can shut down if they are not eating or drinking water......it only takes a couple days too.

PLEASE get her to the vet post haste.......

I am also not for keeping sick kitties alive. I have to think about their quality of life and my wallet too.

I am a cat lover......I have 2 siamese rescues that are the light of my life. There is NOTHING better than coming home from work to have your two boys meet you at the bottom of the stairs as you walk in the door, waiting for their pats and scratches............

13. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

When I walk into a room, where my little Goldie is sitting, she will get up and start yipping and squeaking for me to pet her on the head! :cat:

Precious has gotten to be a very big kitty. She will start making a small series of Yeeoorrr noises and wink her eyes at me while standing up on her hind legs and lifting her head for me to pet her. And Precious will sleep next to me taking up half the bed! She puts her butt against my ribs and hangs her front paws off the bed.

:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  14. goldenlight

goldenlight

My cat is doing MUCH better now.

She is off of the antibiotic, and now has an excellent appetite.

When she has had enough time to recover from the strain put on her body by the antibiotic, she will start a treatment of prednisone.

I am hoping she does not suffer any bad side effects, and it heals the lesion on her lip.

Than you all for your concern and support.

15. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

Good, glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update. :cat:

16. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

excellent news Golden.......

Keep us updated on her........lots of cat lovers on this board.......

17. B. Somm

B. Somm Lady B/Team OAF CLM Millennium Member

+1

B. :thumbsup:

18. elrod

elrod

What caliber for cat?

19. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is great news. I hope your kitty lives for at least ten more years. :supergrin: