close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sick dog on deck.

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by obxemt, Jan 2, 2005.

1. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Scottish Terrier, barely over a year old starting acting strange around Christmas. The vet has no clue what's wrong, treating her for a half-dozen different possible ailments (tick-borne disease, rat poison, auto-immune disorder, etc.). She's on four meds, one of which makes her pee all over the place constantly. It's been a nightmare. She's lethargic and just lies around. Her blood cell count is down, so her tongue and gums are almost white. She's completely alert, just acts like she feels miserable. The vet said the next step may be a trip to a vet school over four hours away to get a transfusion. It's really depressing, I needed to vent. Thanks.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Bless her heart!

I hope she gets better soon.

;w ;w ;w ;w ;w ;w ;w

3. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

It's Luekemia. If we do nothing, she'll die within the week. Even with aggressive Chemotherapy, she'd die within a year. She is actually my parents dog. Our dog, though I live 7 hours away, I visit often. I'm heartbroken and my Dad is devastated. When they bought that dog he upset me because he made the comment, "This dog will outlive me." They are planning to have her put to sleep tomorrow.

I hope Woof can take care of her for me. ;1

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yes, Woof will take care of her :)

Loosing a pet is so hard. People sometimes don't understand. It is just as hard as loosing a brother or mother sometimes.

Hang in there. Spend as much time with her before the trip. Stay with her then. Later, bury her in a nice spot where you can visit if you want. It will be hard but you will need to do it for yourself too.

You are in my prayers...

5. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I feel so terrible for my poor parents. Sometimes I thought this dog is the only thing that makes my Dad human.

They just went through this not even two years ago with their first Scottie, but she was like 15 years old. Dad was miserable and depressed for months afterwards until they got this puppy. I couldn't imagine going through this with a person.

I'm just glad I'm here for them.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

A good friend has leukemia right now. He got really sick like your dog did. We thought it was just a bug or something...until he was in the hospital and no visitors allowed as his immune system was so low. Amazing how something that serious can be written off as just a bug? Scary!

Your father must get really attached to his critters :) He will have to deal with this. You can't do it for him. You can be there for him but you can't do the work. You might think about taking him to the doctor for some antidepressants if he is that depressed?

Get him a new dog as soon as he can handle it. Maybe rescue one from the pound instead of a purebreed. He will also get the great feeling of rescuing an animal in addition to the joys a pet brings ;)

Hang in there...

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Oh dear Lord.......

I just got tears reading this thread.........

So sad, but it is so good that your folks are not gonna make her hang on and try and prolong her suffering. You guys are doing the right thing.

I hope you can try and convince them into getting another real soon.....you said it makes your dad human.......just know this leukemia is a fluke and most dogs do not get it. Just like most cats don't get cardiomyopathy like my little 2 year old Joshua ....I had to tell myself that, and I had to try again, and I am glad that I did. Sometimes my house is TOOOOOO active, but it is happy again!!

God bless your folks in this hard time in their lives......

8. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.

They are already starting with the comments of "no more dogs!" I don't believe them though. Like I said, Dad was awful to be around in the months without a Scottie. He's a sad old man anyway, it kills me to see him like this. I live in a city though, so if they go without dog, I'll find a great breeder and get him a puppy for father's day.

They talked it over with the vet. The vet does not think she is in any kind of pain, so they have no plans now to have her put to sleep tomorrow. They will give it a couple days and decide when they are forced to.

Again, thanks. GT is great therapy sometimes.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If they don't want another dog, get them a cat ;f

If she isn't in pain, then I would wait a while too. She may be miserable but she can be held and cuddled which may make it easier on both of your parents.

I put my dog down ONLY because he was in pain. He was over 19 and a half years old. Other than arthritis and cataracts (I know, I can't spell...) he was in perfect health. He couldn't take any pain meds other than his Orange baby asprin. Anything else would make him so sick. He loved his Orange baby asprin. I could get the bottle, take his asprin and lick it then he would take it off my finger :) Eventually, that didn't help anymore...

One day I came home and heard him crying outside. When I got in the house, he was in my bed sound asleep. I decided I imagined it. A week later I heard him crying outside again. The next day again. Both times he was asleep and squalling! A week later I called my vet to make sure he was in the office--I didn't want the fill-in guy to put down my Alf. I came home and grabbed him and went straight over.

I thought about it long and hard. The day I decided it was time, I had it done in less than an hour. It was the only way I could handle it.

We brought him home and a friend buried him in the edge of the woods next to our house. I planted some flowers on his grave.

When they are ready, they will turn her loose. If she isn't in pain, they have time to ready themselves.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

This is what we are here for. Talking about it with others helps :)

11. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

My Dad took her for a final walk and told my mother and I that he had "said his goodbyes" and that he couldn't bare to take his puppy to the vet. The loss of two Scotties in two years has been too hard on him. I have never seen the man cry until today. Mom and I took her about 30 minutes ago and it was peaceful. The vet was wonderful. I'm extremely sad and angry right now. Just wanted to let you two know. Thanks again. ;1

12. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Damn....

So sorry to hear of this....

;w;w

13. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I sit here with my big boy, an 11 pound siamese rescue in my arms with tears running down my cheeks.

Bless you for being with your folks at this sad, sad time. They are lucky to have you there, I was alone and it was the most unreal thing that I had to do back in July. I literally wailed in the vet's office over my little guy as he lay unconscience and dying.

I am certain Woof scooped that pup up.......he's holding him for your folks!!

Get your dad that new pup......please!! You will be glad you did!!!

14. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

You dad's furry friend is waiting for him at Rainbow Bridge. Woof will take care of him for as long as he needs too while he waits.

I had a hard time in the vet too. I don't think you would call what I did wailing...it was more like screaming in agony. Better to let it out than keeping it built up.

It will take time to get over this loss. Each person progresses differently-some may be ok fast and some slower. You dad will set his own pace.

Hang in there.

15. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Hey obxemt.........

Thanks for the PM, when I replied it said your PM box was full here on GT.......

I have a PM reply saved and will send when you clean your mailbox out.......

:)

16. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Sorry about that.. I've deleted some!