close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sick Dachshund

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by SouthernGal, Oct 10, 2006.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I was up almost all night last night with my dog. She's 11 and when I got to my parent's house (she stays with them every day while I'm at work) to pick her up yesterday my father informed me that she wasn't walking on one of her hind legs. I picked her up, put her into the car and did my best to examine her. I didn't find any thorn or sticker in her pads and nothing to indicate that she'd been bitten or stung by anything. She does spend a lot of time outside at my parent's house so she could have gotten into anything before I picked her up.

She came in, laid down in her bed and pretty much remained in one place. This is unusual since when I watch TV she usually wants in my lap. She was lethargic so I took a baby aspirin, cut it in half and gave it to her. The swelling in her leg was so extensive it was double its normal size by about 7.

At 9:30 last night she woke me up throwing up. This continued until almost midnight. There wasn't an unsoiled blanket anywhere in my house by this morning.

I'm at work now, waiting to her from my parents as to whether or not she's stopped throwing up. They said if she shows no signs of improvement in the few hours since I dropped her off they'd take her to the vet. I'm not sure if she's been stung or bitten or what but on an 8 pound dog I'm not sure what kind of reaction she'd have if that happened.

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Hey R.......

I wonder if she was bitten by a spider?? Sounds like all the hallmarks of being bitten by a poisonous spider........swelling of the leg, throwing up, lethargic.

This just sucks because I know that little girl means so much to you, and she has been there through thick and thin........

My thoughts and prayers are with you and with her that she recovers quick and this is just a day long thing.......I hope your folks get her to the vet anyway to rule out anything really, really serious.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Tell her I am driving up to give her a "S-N-A-C-K"........heh!!! :supergrin:

3. SouthernGal

It's funny that you mention this because I thought about the fact that my parents have a recluse problem at their house, and as much time as she spends out in the "shop" with my dad that place is infested with them.

I did look for a "bite" site on her leg but didn't find anything. She doesn't much like me messing with it.

I knew she wasn't feeling well this morning when I said the "S-N-A-C-K" word and she didn't move. That's never a good sign. If something happens to this dog I'm going to be devastated...

4. Armed&Feminine

Armed&Feminine Adhuc vivo!

Call Dr. W!!! He's the man! (that and he's off tomorrow, so today is the day to get her in)

5. SouthernGal

I've got to call my parents here in the next 30 minutes to find out what is going on. I'm hoping she's improved but don't know yet...

6. Armed&Feminine

Armed&Feminine Adhuc vivo!

I hope she's better. :hugs: I'm glad Peachie mentioned the spider bite; that didn't even occur to me. :sad:

7. SouthernGal

Update--my father gave her a 1/2 of a benadryl. He said she was laying down in the sun out in the driveway asleep. At least she's not getting into anything more while she's "passed out", and she's not vomiting at the moment.

8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I am still thinking it was some sort of a spider bite.......it just sounds like it is........with the fact she is itty bitty, only 8 pounds......(she needs more S-N-A-C-K-S!! :supergrin: ) a venomous spider is going to have more effect on her than say a 40 pound dog...........

R------give us an update when you get in Wednesday!!! I hope you and her had a restful night and she is back to normal, and it was just something that needed to get out of her system!! :hugs:

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:upeyes: I'm curious to know, 'Why' you are waiting? It shouldn't require an act of congress to bring a genuinely sick animal to the veterinarian's office. We're supposed to be proper caretakers for our family pets - Right?

What good does talking about it on the internet do? If you don't want to effectively deal with the problem, 'Why' bother to tell me about it? :freak:

10. SouthernGal

No vomiting yesterday after I dropped her off and she was given that benadryl. I'm pretty sure something bit or stung her and that she had some sort of reaction to it. The swelling in her leg has gone down and while she's still not "bouncy happy" like she normally is, she's not refusing food either.

She has a bad habit of "chasing" wasps, bees, spiders and the like so there's no telling what got a hold on her. She's a naturally curious animal. I still haven't been able to find a stinger or bite site. Just glad I dodged the bullet on this one.

11. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

that's some excellent news R...!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hugs:

Now.......S--N--A--C--K time!!! :supergrin: :wavey:

12. SouthernGal

Today I got a box of Nutra Ultra biscuits that a friend of mine gave me. Her new Longhair Doxie (which came to her from C2CDR.ORG) didn't like them. I'll have to see if she'll stand on her head for one of them :supergrin:

13. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

how's Sassy today??? Was she eating and taking to the new snacks???

14. SouthernGal

I think she's finally back to her normal self. She was bouncing around this morning and her leg looks back normal to me. Still not a "bite site" to be found anywhere on her though.

LOVES the Nutra Ultra stuff. It smells like kelp to me but she really likes them. :)

15. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

most excellent news!!! :thumbsup: