Shutting down the Richmond GSSF match - details

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Carlitos, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Carlitos

Carlitos

Looks like they are trying to shut down the Richmond club (and the GSSF round with it) and the key Zoning meeting is tonight; the anti gunners will be there in force. Will you? Here is the thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4938683#post4938683

More information from the Virginia Shooting Sports Association:

Please join the Board of Directors and friends and neighbors of Cavalier at the town meeting to be hosted by our Hanover County South Anna district Supervisor John Gordon.

The meeting will be held at South Anna Elementary School in Montpelier, at 7:00 PM on Wednesday the 21st of September.

This meeting was originally intended to be an informal event designed to inform the community of what the county is doing concerning the complaints against Cavalier. The county's desire was to explain where the process will go from here, and the time frame for the rezoning.

The anti-Cavalier forces, however, have hijacked the meeting and bought advertising space to promote our meeting as a regional anti-gun public forum.

We must counter their efforts by making certain that we have a huge turnout to demonstrate to our County officials and the news media that Cavalier is recognized as a regional asset and a good neighbor.

A few housekeeping details are in order please.

* The meeting is in an elementary school where Virginia law prohibits the carrying of firearms on school property.

* Appropriate dress would be what you would wear to a PTA meeting.

* Hanover residents who are Cavalier members should be among the first to speak.

* Public Officials attending must be treated with the utmost respect, as should everyone in attendance. Our enemies are expected to behave badly; let them. We will be polite and to the point.

* We need to fill up the seats prior to 6:30 p.m., starting with the front row.

We must have a huge turnout at this meeting.

Directions:
    From Richmond take Rt 33, Staples Mill Road, past the South Anna River. Turn left onto the second state road west of the South Anna River onto Walton Tavern Rd. Go approx. 3 miles and turn into the South Anna Elementary School at 13122 Walton Tavern Road.

Coming from Montpelier on Rt. 33 take a right on Walton Tavern Rd.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I wish you the best. A group of us has driven up from Florida a few years now to the Richmond match and it has been a great match. I would certainly hate to see it go away and most definately hate to see the "AntiGunners" win ANYTHING.

Please keep us posted and if we can be of any help like signing an online petition please let us know. Anything to help keep our sport alive.

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Yep, what he said. Keep us posted; happy to write as an interested party who plans to spend dollars in the area. I treat this kind of thing just like I do a CC issue in another state; although not a resident I have an interest because I might travel there. Ran into the same thing before with our local airport; everyone sprawls to the area, then complains about any noise because of full-power climbouts necessitated because they approved obstructions, etc.

The pen is ready.
    ;?

I mean, after all, when I retire and Don quits laughing at my short-timer count Danny said he'd show me some great dining possibilities if I made it to the Richmond match.

4. Carlitos

Carlitos

Wig19 and Don: thank you both for the support! I speak for all of Team Shooters Paradise GSSF I & II in saying we have enjoyed shooting with you guys all over the US and it my hope that none of our sport's venues are threatened with closure, today or in the future. To that end, I am cautiously optimistic about Cavalier, though the spectre of "lead polution" was raised here (fact is, lead is naturally occuring in soil all over the USA and in the case of a shooting range, the lead "leaches" only 1 to 2 inches into the soil form where it lands. There are far greater environmental "hazards" to worry about in the US than lead, and it is just an excuse that the antis try to use to accomplish their evil goals).

RussP, a Vietnam vet and Glock shooter in central VA was kind enough to post this update on the story on the Virginia section of GlockTalk: (Thanks RussP!). It is re-printed from the Times-Dispatch (with credit):

Hanover officials questioned on gun club
    Residents inquire about site's alleged zoning violations, its efforts to become compliant

BY MELODIE N. MARTIN
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Sep 22, 2005

Some say a private gun club in western Hanover County provides a safe place to hone and test marksmanship, while others argue it has become a noisy nuisance.

More than 200 people last night attended a community meeting, where dozens questioned county officials about alleged zoning violations by the Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club and its current efforts to make their facilities legal under existing law.

Chris Fletcher, who lives adjacent to the club's 400-acre facility near the Louisa County line, said after the meeting that he is concerned about the gun club's affect on his property value and the possible lead pollution.

"I'd like for them to be responsible as far as cleaning up their property and adjacent properties," Fletcher said. "And show some consideration for the community and not go out there at 7 o'clock in the morning and start shooting these high-powered rifles."

Hanover resident Randy McFarland, who recently joined the club, said Cavalier is one of the best shooting facilities in the state. He said the club has also provided outreach for youth and community groups.

"As far as the facility itself, the organization and the operation, it is the best around," McFarland said. "They really go beyond that with what they've done for the community."

Last spring, the county cited the club for several zoning violations, alleging that it expanded beyond its original 1965 permit and failed to obtain permits for new facilities built after 1974, when changes to the county's zoning ordinance required special permits for recreational facilities and firing ranges.

The club disagreed with the county's findings and filed an appeal with the Board of Zoning Appeals in May. In August, the club also applied for new permits that would make their current facilities legal under existing law.

The county Planning Commission may consider the permit requests as early as its November meeting, to be followed later with a decision by the Board of Supervisors.

Contact Melodie N. Martin at (804) 649-6290 or mmartin@timesdispatch.com

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

some law about existing ranges having the right to be there?

Starting the noise at 8am Mon through sat and at 9am on Sunday and stopping at dark seems to help with the neighbors.

Va has laws about
    If you bought a house next to a farm you got to expect smells.
    " " " a range you got to expect noise.

6. Carlitos

Carlitos

I agree. I recently moved into a condo located in one of the flight paths for Reagan Airport (formerly known as National airport).

Now, is it reasonable for me to ask: "How do I shut down this noisy airport?"

or: "I demand higher home values; you can't have an airport near my [new] home"

or "I do not care about the community benefits of air travel or anyone else's interestes. MY wants and desires come first!"

or "There might be a health hazard related to airplane exhaust or maybe a plane could crash so you have to shut down your airport for safety!"

I would be out of line raising any of these arguments. Yet the arguments above are akin to the arguments raised by the anti-gunners in relation to the Richmond range.

I would hope that the Courts and powers that be see it this way.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I'd be in heaven if I lived next to Cavalier and woke up to the sounds of a high power match!

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

You betcha! I'd wake up thinkin' I'm wastin' daylight.
    ;f

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I btdt each jet dumps something like 500 lbs of soot.

You will notice how your car gets dirty.