close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SHTF photos of Haiti

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock Man_G19, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Glock Man_G19

Glock Man_G19

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

It is sad, indeed.

But, we are all animals in desperation.

We'd like to think not, but...deep inside, we know it's true.

3. thejellster05

thejellster05

Wow.
    A man pulling a corpse out of a coffin to steal the coffin-that's insane.
    Looting is my biggest reason for owning guns besides home defense/carry.
    Crazy. :wow:

4. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Wow! Sad, very sad! :crying:

5. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Who knew that multi colored bouncy balls were so important to human survival.

6. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

7. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

What's sad is the earthquake is just an excuse. This stuff everyone is decrying is life as normal in Haiti. Robbery, theft of anything and everything, starvation, lack of basic services, no water; all of that existed before the earthquake. And it will exist no matter how much we "donate" to help this country.

8. Ersatz

Ersatz

The guy renting phone chargers is one enterprising SOB.

9. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Some of ya'll snivel and whine about government regulation... well sometimes it is in our best interest. Let Hati and it's lack of building codes be a clear message that sometimes regulation is a good thing. Just wanted to point that out.

As for the people, it's truly a sad event. I think the biggest tragedy is that once the people are saved and the city starts to recover, the government will not enforce stricter building codes to prevent such levels of destruction.

For the families and survivors I hope for them a speedy recovery.

11. rock_jock

rock_jock

To be sure, there is a proper role for govt, and protecting the public through things like bldg codes is one of them. I have always said that anyone who abhors ALL govt regulation should spend a few months living in someplace like Haiti, or better yet, Somalia.

12. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Number 31.. that picture pissed me off! May things clear up over there.

13. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Don't kid yourself into thinking we're better here. I went through Hurricane Andrew in Miami. In the immediate aftermath, people of all races, religions, creeds, and nationalities were looting. Most looted for food, clothing, water, and other necessary items of sustenance. The cops mostly turned a blind eye to them. Then there were the few who wanted to ransack Circuit City and steal TV's and VCR's (remember those). They didn't fare as well.

In a time of crisis, when all means of normal sustenance have been destroyed in an instant, people (who are primal animals) will do what they need to do to survive. I've seen it. It's actually pretty sad to see a normally law abiding person have to resort to criminality in order to eat. My family was lucky. Our home wasn't destroyed. We prepared in advance by getting non perishable foods and ate all the meat the next day as part of a massive BBQ. We were without power for 3 weeks. Many to the south went months. We also had the means to leave town for a few days at a time when the suffocating heat became unbearable (including a week at Disney). Those who were/are less fortunate did what they had to do. And like I said, despair sees no one's race. I know; that doesn't fit the skewed template some on here like to operate under.

14. gvf

gvf

Unless you haven't eaten in 5 days and see no hope you ever will, don't go around criticizing people who turn to irrationality and violence - easy to judge from the comfort of our living rooms as we sit in front of our computers -

also notice others of Haitians - hundreds, thousands - alone with no help, no food, water, tools - digging their fellows out of collapsed buildings with their fingernails - easing the pain of their fellows dying in the streets because they have nothing else - not even a band-aid - trying desperately to find a way to bury their babies -

don't judge - thank the gods it's not YOU!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  15. soundwave

soundwave

Well said.

16. noway

noway

so true word but their's catch 22, Gov regulation is needed, but the gov needs to know what they are doing in order to provide proper regulations.

The problem with Haiti, the gov official are uneducated in this process. Hence we see and read of the chaos in Haiti both during both natural disasters and man-made.

Until the governing body get's educated in how to run a country, this cycle will continue to revolve with no good output.

17. Babysinister

Babysinister

Agree completely. I also survived Andrew and remember how effective govt. regulation here was back then: there was massive - massive - violation of the hurricane building code, particularly with newer buildings. There was a famous aerial photo showing the Arvida and Lennar structures flattened all to hell in Florida City, Naranja, Homestead, etc. The old cinderblock flat-roof structures that were no taller than four stories (like my condominium apartment and that of my parents) resisted and remained standing. A book code is no protection against corrupt violations and flagrant neglect and non-enforcement. I don't buy the "new codes" bull either and am not switching from my old condo apartment to a newer structure. And let's not even get into the subject of homeowners' insurance down here...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  18. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

The first picture looks like something out of 28 days later.

19. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

I remember. All of it. I was 16 when the beast rolled through town and that and 9/11 are the two things that have really stuck with me.

BTW, I see you're in Kendale Lakes. I grew up in what is now Pinecrest. You're like 15 minutes away from my parents. Small world.

20. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

The crucible of Andrew changed me more than I ever could have thought possible. My aunt lived in Plantation, where I rode out the storm, and we were spared any major damage. I worked delivering medical equipment at the time, and our services were needed in all the worst hit neighborhoods: what an eye opener about how people will behave with their backs against the wall. To this day, that experience informs my decisions about safety and emergency planning.