close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SHTF now?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by jdavionic, Jul 30, 2011.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Just curious on your thoughts regarding the chaotic gov't induced financial crisis. We often discuss terrorist strikes, hurricanes, tornados, etc...all have very dramatic transitions into SHTF. However perhaps this transition is much more gradual in the case of an economic collapse.

What do you think we'll see in the next 6 months to a year?

My $0.02 worth. I think the gov't will deadlock and no budget on 8/2. However I think the 8/2 deadline is a bogus line in the sand. I do think that the spinning of the crisis to motivate action is actually spinning out of the control on the con artists in DC.

Now the world is watching. Now the bogus deadline has evolved to have meaning. I expect a downgrade in US bond ratings. I expect higher interest rates, decline in the dollar, inflation with growing unemployment, and an American public that has become dependent on the gov't who will now demand more free handouts.

2. Dexters

Dexters

I would add that since the revised economic number have come out for GDP people are concerned about a double dip recession. Large companies are announcing large lay offs.

Unemployment will go up over 10%+ and it will be even more difficult for most because unemployment benefits are expiring and there will less appetite to extend them beyond the current 99 weeks(?).

So, I expect a slow stock market decline into 2012 sometime.

It might even be call the second Great Depression but I do not think it will be as bad as the first one. That will just be the hyperbole.

3. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

4. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

I am very concerned about a international loss of confidence-based sell-off/dumping of dollar based securities/financial instruments!

I am very concerned about another credit crisis!

I am very concerned about a rise in interest rates & inflation or even hyper-inflation!

I am very concerned about any individual, company or government entity that is teetering on the edge of financial ruin now..

..& how a massive increase in their cash flow problems & bankruptcies will effect those left standing!

5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

The part that those outside of the S&P interest seem to overlook is that "survivalist" have been concerned about economic collapse for some time. And while my AKs, ammo, radiation detection equipment, etc are all important parts of my preps, my fiscal preps are also important.

Here we have a possible SHTF where there is no sudden event, no thugs in the streets, ... but just a seemingly subtle transition to a condition that we've witnessed in other nations.

6. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Yea...though material preps are nice to have 'just-in-case'..

..I really like that I tote the title on all 3 of my POV, no credit card bills, etc.

And the preps (food/fuel/etc) can really be a nice buffer if a sudden loss of income were to occur.

That being said...I believe there is also the potential for an sudden outbreak of ugliness!

And...in addition...I am very concerned government might become even more predatory!

Wait & see....pray for the best...prepare for the worst! :supergrin:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Which is what makes it such a likely scenario imo - we've seen it before and are seeing it now. Unlike asteroids or zombies, this is something with a discernable, predictable, and trackable pattern to it; a pattern that imo we're seeing develop. :sad:

8. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Specific concern or just general? IMHO, when you see an adversary distracted and on their knees, it's a good time to try and tip humpty dumpty off the wall. I would expect if I have the obersvation, our enemy are many steps ahead.

Is that what you were referring to, or something else?

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Anyone believe this is just one just dog and pony show that just keeps getting perpetually postponed until those the government owes money to tries to take it by force...which will not happen?

-Emt1581

10. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Not sure I follow you. China? I don't think so.

I do think they are playing political games. I think the representatives, like Pelosi, are painting an end of the world scenario to intentionally cause panic so that they get their way in the resultant panic bill that gets passed. However I also think that this game has spun beyond their control now and the consequences are now beyond their control as well.

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Consequences....that's just it...we RARELY if EVER face consequences as a country. Our Gov. continues to BS it's way out of trouble and maybe it's because I'm not yet 30...but quickly approaching it...and have never seen the Gov. face any sort of consequences... :dunno:

In regard to China...did you mean they would or would not take by force?

Thanks

-Emt1581

12. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I was trying to guess who you meant by 'those we owe that would take it'. WRT your follow up question, no I don't think they'd take it by force.

13. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Actually...specific & general!

In either...best to be prepared to be reactive when necessary..

..and also proactive when necessary! :whistling:

Reactive....easy......proactive.....less so!

In the larger scheme of things...

..the Chinese are masters of asymmetrical warfare..

..financial is definitely a facet of that...IMO!

While there are many others also gloating over our woes..

..some need to be really careful what they wish for! :upeyes:

14. bdcochran

bdcochran

I am responding to the original questions.

1. politicians are elected by promising a job, hope, and a place in the lifeboat. There have been many promises made - lifetime VA medical benefits, SS, Medicare, food stamps, bloc grants to states and localities. There is an inability to follow through and deliver the benefits.

2. there is an inability to pay promised retirement benefits to retired/retiring civil servants and people covered by defined benefit pension plans.

My mentor was predicting riots by August 2011.

My response is very simple. I cannot control the big events to come. I can control myself to some extent. So, I focus on exercise, sensible eating, getting rid of things I don't need, fixing up things that are useful.

I don't waste my time ranting.

15. Dexters

Dexters

I agree with you but it is interesting talking about it.

As to Aug 2011; it might be Aug. 2012

16. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

17. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

It may come sooner than August 2012, but I don't expect it to sudden. Just a gradual escalation.

18. engineer151515

engineer151515

Argentina is the outline.

The people who felt America held too much sway as the world's remaining superpower are about to get their wish.

Hope they like standing in line for bread.

19. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

In a way, I feel its inevitable, that I've come to pray that it happens soon, and all at once, and so bad that so many things come crashing down that change is forced onto the system so that all the leeches and wasteful habits simply can't survive.

If not money, something of real substance will change hands for actual work; the government will be so crippled and so broken that Surveillance Society and the long arm of .gov overreach will come to an end in a ditch where it will never recover. People of no substance who do work that is absolutely meaningless for the govt so they can collect fat paychecks at my expense to live cushy lives in their little shell will actually have find something useful to do and it might involve painting or splitting firewood or loading a wagon and not texting "OMG" to their idiot friends on the latest technology as if anything thing they had to say was really important.

20. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Unfortunately the most likely SHTF scenario is a long slow decline economically and culturally until the USA resembles the broken countries Europe.

The current debt limit impasse is just one more mile marker on the road to ruin.