close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SHTF - Let's get real, folks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I’m just a few months shy of 62 years old and have been hunting upland game since I was nine. I’ve spent one year, 10 months, 13 days and 22 hours serving my country in the U.S. Army from 1969 to 1971 as a military policeman sentry dog handler (but who’s counting?). At the ripe age of 38 I began hunting big game with a .44 magnum Model 629 Smith&Wesson revolver and also rifles in later years … mostly whitetail deer and pronghorn antelope.

In 2005 I bought my first Glock, a Model 27, after despising their looks for nearly 20 years. Since then I’ve bought and sold more than a dozen of them, trying to find the right combination of concealment, accuracy and reliable stopping power. Currently I’m in the process of going to only ONE Glock, a Gen 4 Model 26, which matches up nicely with my wife’s Gen 3 Model 26 (for ease of sharing ammo and magazines). I spend most of each year in Arizona and summers at a family fishing cabin in Minnesota; both locations have a shotgun with extended magazines and fiber optic turkey sights. I practice extensively with the Glocks, shooting IDPA matches and the occasional ISPC match at the club level. When the clubs offer a shotgun side match, I bring along the shotguns.

Given all that background, I have to say I am genuinely puzzled by the threads I read here and in other gun-related forums about the sheer volume of guns and ammunition being stockpiled for a time when the SHTF. What’s that all about? Are there people out there who really think they’re going to be barricading themselves in their homes surrounded by loaded weapons and ammo and they are going to be attacked in such a fashion that they’ll be able to arm all their family members to hold off … what? Hordes of zombies? Ravenous vampires?

Folks, let’s face it – the odds of any of us getting into an armed encounter are VERY remote when we are out and about, but the odds of our homes being invaded are even MORE remote according to a friend and neighbor who is a retired Chicago police officer (30 years on the force between 1962 and 1992). My friend says home invasions were one of the RAREST forms of violent crime during his time in one of the toughest cities in the nation.

Just like there is a fever’s pitch over President Obama taking away our guns and ammo, there’s some sort of a group delusion that society is going to rapidly crumble away and we’ll be able to survive and re-build because we’ve got lots of guns and ammo. As far as the facts are concerned, all Obama has done is affirm the Bush decision to allow concealed carry in national parks (for those with permits). Oh, and his administration declined to challenge the Supreme Court’s decision a couple years ago supporting the Second Amendment in Washington, D.C. That’s it. Everything else is hype by fear-mongering people who might have a profit motive … hmmm, like perhaps the NRA and the companies that manufacture firearms and ammunition.

My guess is that most of the stockpilers are going to leave their children and grandchildren a wealth of weapons when they pass away and perhaps that is a positive outcome. But, the chances of getting any practical use out of that arsenal are about as likely as a pile of gold dust hitting the fan and blowing into my safe deposit box (or the hole out in the back yard).

Just my 2 cents’ worth, IMHO.

2. ken grant

ken grant

No telling what will happen if Obama and his people remain in control.
    No worry about a 2nd term will matter a lot.

Already there is a lot of talk about magazines and semi-autos in the media and Democrats. If the dems can get total control,all bets are off and what mags,semi's and bulk ammo you can buy now may go away.

3. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

I kind of agree with you, and I kind of don't, Snowbird. I think it's wise to have at least one reliable handgun, one reliable rifle and about 500 rounds for each (doesn't have to be expensive, defensive ammo - range ammo is fine).

And while I don't think any natural disaster is likely, I do think a global economic meltdown is a real possibility in the next 10 years or so. And if it doesn't happen, you have a few good guns and some range ammo - no big deal.

I do think it's unhealthy to have dozens of guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. It's my personal opinion that this is where you enter loony territory (unless you actually shoot that much). But you know what I am talking about: those guys who hoard guns and ammo and sit around in their basement, watching doomsday videos while wearing face paint and tactical gear (get a grip, Rambo!).

It's more important to have food, water, shelter and warmth. But that can also be taken to an unhealthy obsession, as well.

JMO.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. kenzo

kenzo

I think some of us use SHTF, zombie uprising, etc. just as an excuse to justify spending more $$ on our hobby. Some of the collecting / hoarding is justifiable, and the rest just a fun reason to give an excuse to buy more stuff.

regards

5. SARDG

SARDG

I wholeheartedly agree that virtually none of those who get on these forums and talk about the imminent SHTF moment and drawing their gun, and who are worried about the most effective round, or what sights are great in a shootout, etc, etc... will ever need to pull and use their firearm in that capacity in their lifetime. BUT being as it's better to have and not need, than need and not have, I carry 100% of the time - but only what's very easy to carry and conceal; a Kahr PM-9, not a Glock G29 with Buffalo Bore ammo.

And although I've never had to pull my carry piece for any defensive reason in my life so far, I have been the victim of a home invasion and am probably very lucky I got through that alive. And although I had no guns at that time, a gun would have done little good as the first thing I knew was that three guys were waking me up in bed by putting a pillowcase over my head.

6. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

I understand the point...but really, can't I have my own reasons for doing the things I want to do. If I believe that having a stash of ammo is the responsible thing for me in preparation of protecting myself what do you care? Should I be rationed to only 10 rounds of ammo or 10 cases of ammo? Who cares. I hunt and recreational shoot as do most of us here. I keep reserves of ammo for various reasons, maybe one of those reasons will now be in case the aliens attack us again!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. Tap Tap

Tap Tap

Totally agree with you snowbird. Although I have way more guns than I really need I would like a lot more just because I enjoy shooting a variety of guns to keep it interesting. I also have a ton of ammo because any time I can catch a sale I load up since it doesn't seem to ever get cheaper. I have no delusions that we the people are going to take over an out of control government or that I will ever be barricaded in my own home handing out AR's.

The gun and ammo manufacturers do high fives every time a democrat gets into office because the far right consistently and predictably freak out with unrealistic drama.

I'm no fan of Obama but tell me exactly what has he done to limit your access to guns or ammo. Not hearsay and rumor but exactly what? If someone can come up with definitive proof then I will agree and head to the gun shop tomorrow while screaming that the sky is falling right along with the rest of the rednecks.

8. ricky

ricky Millennium Member

Some of us grew up in the aftermath of hurricanes, floods, riots ,power outages and numerous other incidents in which you where on your own.

I think you get the message now.

9. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Good points, all. Thanks for the insights.

I certainly will defend every sane (and legal) person's right to purchase and own as many guns and as much ammo as he/she desires. My only query is about the SHTF scenario. I am genuinely curious how some people see things coming unglued ... what sequence of events and what should I watch for.

Some of my acquaintances have very definite opinions about how society might break down and become anarchic. One thing that disturbs me is the way some people want to blame LEOs and the military for representing the government, which is a mess (they claim). Soooo, where do the lines blur between becoming an anarchist yourself and a justifiable challenge to elected authority? After all, we DID elect them and they DID create the laws and bureaus to put them in effect and decide what's legal and illegal.

10. SARDG

SARDG

Worry about the next four years...

11. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Excellent points, Ricky. Natural disasters are a perfect example of SHTF.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

As we approach the twentieth anniversary of Hurricane Andrew I can say unequivocally having a gun and some ammunition can be rather quite important after a disaster.

On the other hand I can also suggest that even if police are not responding to a wide variety of calls they probably will still investigate a contact shooting - in fact it might be part of the reason that other calls are going unaswered.

I will admit I have some difficulty imagining a situation here in the U.S. in which a guy could go through hundreds of rounds of ammunition but not take any hits himself and then repeat that later in the day or evening.

For the most part I would agree with the chances of being a victim of a home invasion are slight unless one is involved in drugs or other crime. However a couple decades back we did have a fair number of home invasions of upscale houses, usually double front doors, and few of the victims had any criminal background. I have no idea if that trend will happen here again, although it has not for a couple decades.

13. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

14. zbomb

zbomb

Rather have and not need than need and not have.

15. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

I will bet a bunch of people from the "Pearl Harbor" attack would have quite a different take on SHTF.

Man does not even know if he will get his next breath.

I will continue to look for the best and prepare for the worst. Maybe it is just me but I see our rights eroded more and more daily in this country of freedom. Good Luck.

16. SARDG

SARDG

There's an echo in here... There's an echo in here... there's an echo in here...

17. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have. If you want to continue down the road with your head in the sand or elsewhere, rock on. I'll stick with getting ready for what might happen.

18. ctious

ctious

Oh shtf will happen. It has happened in every nation that ever existed. We are no different. I do feel ours will be because of a money crash. Global. Credit is not money. It will end soon. It's already drying up. When its over millions will be out of work. What do u think they are going to do? Just look at unions already. How violent they get over a pay raise. Face it. Millions will die. I for one want to keep my family safe. And I will be prepared for it. There are things more important than ammo.

19. ctfireman

ctfireman

So having dozens of guns bc i simply enjoy shooting & owning a variety makes me loony?

20. NucPhysics

NucPhysics

The thing that bothers me is this craze about the Zombie Apocalypse. The government didn't put this plan together in case the dead rises to eat people's brains. It created it in case a major disaster happens, whether natural or man-made, and the government needs to protect itself from the people - innocent starving people or sick people needing medical attention.

Although many treat the government's Zombie Apocalypse as a big joke, for many people its a horror story, but nothing like the movies or those ridiculous zombie targets we see at the ranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.