Shoulder sugery and return to duty?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gary23, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Gary23

Gary23

Anyone here have any types of shoulder surgery. How long before you felt like you could get back to duty? Im facing a slap 2 labrum tear that is not under workers comp. Dr says 3-4 months but i dont have more than maybe 10 weeks of time built up. Also dept dont allow light duty.

2. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Is it a full tear where they reattach it, or a partial tear where they cut off the frayed edges and clean it up?

I had the frayed on my left shoulder, after 2 weeks, it felt better than before the surgery. Took a little while to build the strength back up though.

I had the full tear on the right, that was 6-8 weeks in a sling and then therapy to get strength back. That side had nerve damage also, so its still not right, but mechanically it was sound after the 3-4 months. I lost a lot of strength from the nerve damage, can't activate the entire muscle that lifts the arm.

You're in a bit of a different situation, as you might be required to get into a fight, so you need to be further along in your rehabilitation than me working on a computer in an office. Do you really want to risk reinjury by going back too soon?

Isn't labrum a tear on the edge of the socket, not the rotator cuff? Its still cartilege, takes same time to heal. Minimal blood flow to tendons, cartilege, so they heal pretty slow.

If they just trim the torn part of the socket off, should be quick recovery, but wondering if stability of the shoulder would be compromised long term? If they reattach, same 6-8 weeks healing time.

Good news if its socket related vs tendon related, that is you just lose a little strength from not using the arm much, and don't have nearly the rehab to get strength back.

Not a doc, just had my share of arthroscopic procedures... I'm more familiar with knees. Knees are like girlfriends, once they go out on you, its very hard to trust them fully again.

Understand you want to get back to work soon, but be careful not to reinjure, if you can't afford to take this time off, you really can't afford to reset the clock back to zero if re-tear it going hands on.

Randy

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

3. Gary23

Gary23

Its not a full tear but it has to be reattached. No i dont wanna risk reinjury but i wanna pay my bills and feed my family. I know i cant always avoid a fight but ive been in alot of them and most was started by proactive police work. Which i may have to lay off for a few months. Whats the treatment for your damaged nerve?

4. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Understood, sucks to be forced into making that choice...
    Meanwhile, TASER TASER TASER! Put a scope on the damn thing if you have to... ;)
    Hope it regenerates and reenervates the muscle. There's no actual treatment, it either comes back on its own or it doesn't. Its made some progress, a lot, actually (considering originally I couldn't pick up a full pop can at arms length), but I'm still hoping around 8 years later... Still markedly weaker than the other side, but improving. Its the axillary nerve, just affected the deltoid. Bicep, triceps ok, luckily.

Randy

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. joel724

joel724

Dude been there and done that! Almost a year ago I had my shoulder surgery done ( strong side shoulder ) 95% tear of the rotator cuff AND a SLAP repair ( torn labrum ) This was a Workers Comp. injury. I was out for almost 4 months and in reality...I came back too early. I didn't re-injury ... but it was still very sore. Its been a year and I am just now starting to feel like normal. if you want to know more feel free to PM me. I will also be glad to keep up with you while you are out. Good Luck!!!

6. The Hawk

The Hawk

I had rotator cuff surgery last June. Doctor said it was a severe rupture and could not be repaired again. He advised me to take it easy for several months. I finished physical therapy a few months ago. Lucky for me I retired in 2008 and injured my shoulder in 2009. I was able to bench press 300 lbs before my injury. I have worked my way up to 2 sets of 15 reps at 150 lbs. I understand how you feel about returning to work too early. I guess I could have gone back to work after 4 months but I know that I would not have been anywhere near 100%. I am still not there and may never be as strong as I used to be.
    My doctor said to expect full recovery in 12 months.
    To answer your question, I guess after 6 months I would have tried to go back to work. Take it easy though. You certainly do not want to reinjure that shoulder.
    Good luck. Sorry about your injury. It does suck.
    I was pleased with how quick I was able to recover after wearing that sling for 6 weeks post op.

7. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

A friend who is a Chicago cop has a partial injury. He was on leave due to this work-related injury for almost a year until the city paid off his doctor to say he could come back without surgery. If your department is willing to support your complete recovery, have the surgery and get it fixed.

8. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I hear what you're sayin, even tho I've been lucky enough to avoid any serious arm/shoulder problems. But I have had 6 ACL/miniscus reconstructions on my knees, and an ankle surgery. I've become a huge believer in physical therapy, and would definitely recommend you get into it evem before your surgery, as it will help your post-op recovery.

I could've sworn that you can apply for short-term disability for just such situations, I'm just not sure if its thru your state, or your job. If I were you, i'd contact your benefits coordinator and find out what your options are. STD sucks, but its better than a poke in the eye for paying bills.

Keep us posted, and take care of yourself!

Good luck

9. Gary23

Gary23

This is an old injury from my former dept. Work comp will pay for surgery but no lost wages cause it past the 2 year statue. My current dept says they have no liability cause it didnt happen with them. The only allow light duty for on the job injuries with them. Short term is denying me because they said its a work injury. Although lawyers have told me i cant collect a dime from WC. Its a bunch of crap and they just dont wanna cover me.

10. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Wow, that is truly a tough position you're in. About the only other thing I could say is maybe your bank or credit union will offer a short-term personal loan for the medical procedure and associated costs? I don't really know what to tell you beyond that. Sorry I can't be more help.

Keep us posted and good luck!

11. glock_40_calibe

glock_40_calibe Glocks Rock

Didn't you recently tussle with someone on the current job, and aggravate the existing injury? I'm just saying...

When I had my shoulder scoped I was off for about 6-8 weeks for recovery. I agree on checking into the personal loan for the extra time you don't have covered. Potential long term disability v. short term inconvenience with the loan. It wouldn't be worth it to me to go back before you were healed enough, and risk a permanent or longer term injury to it.