Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 Years ago I had surgery on my right shoulder to repair a fully torn rotator cuff, torn labrum and resection of the biceps tendon. The surgery was pretty successful, but it was never quite right. About 6 months ago I started having increased pain and reduced range of motion in the shoulder. Two months ago it got significantly worse. Right now drawing my firearm (G19.5) from an IWB holster isn't easy, fairly painful.

Had an MRI 3 weeks ago. Shows full tears to the labrum and the supscapularis tendon amongst other problems. My Ortho doc who did the original surgery said that shoulder joint replacement may be needed, but that was before the MRI. I have a follow up with him on 4/3.

Spoke with the physical therapist I've been using for the past 8 years or so. He looked at the MRI report and went over it with me in laymen terms. Basically I've got a really screwed up shoulder. He went over the process for the shoulder replacement, and told me I'd loose significant of range of motion.

SO my question for the GT collective is this. Has anyone here had shoulder replacement, and what were the results, and did it affect your ability to carry and potentially employ a firearm in an emergency situation?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
15,989 Posts
One of my Brother in Law had one replaced just after Christmas. Went very well, I was surprised because nothing ever goes to plan for him. He has finished PT and has pretty good range of motion, compared to before. Still working on building strength but he is pretty happy, for once..

· Registered
8,013 Posts
One of the reasons I carry appendix. Reaching to 4 o clock isn’t what it used to be.

After my surgeries, while in a sling, I carried a j frame in a Desantis pocket holster in the sling between my arm and body. I was shooting weak hand and couldn’t do manipulations, so a revolver seemed to fit the bill. No limp wristing and most malfunctions cleared with pulling the trigger again.

· Registered
416 Posts
My left shoulder (I am left handed) was completely replaced in January 2000......twice.

Someone screwed up and the wrong size ball was used and I had to go through a second surgery. I was not charged for any of itas should be.

23 years later I am having problems with that shoulder again.

This time I am going through VA Healthcare to see what is going on with it. The original probable cause of the shoulder having problems happened in Vietnam.

I seem to remember that the ball and joint that was put in was supposed to be good for 18 ish years so 23 is pretty good.

Now if I use my left arm for prolonged repetetive movements I can not use the arm for a few days.

And my shooting has been greatly curtailed. I am going to get better off hand I guess.

· Registered
339 Posts
I had total replacement (reversal) done a year ago this month. I'm about 95% back, and doctor says that's about as best as it's gonna be.

I carry at the 3:30 position with a N8 Tactical IWB holster with very stiff retention that makes it too hard to draw my 43X.

I have since ordered a tuckable leather IWB with essentially no retention to see if that's better.

· Premium Member
261 Posts
As far as carry and shooting, I bought a laser trainer and practiced daily. Did a lot of dry firing and draw strokes. Like others, I moved my weapon towards the front. I prefer AIWB or my Enigma nowadays, both positioned in more of a cross draw fashion. Always pocket carried, and that’s my main way of carrying. Do like a quality shoulder holster as well.

I’m a normal right handed shooter now. Left hand is just too damaged. Low recoiling handguns and lots of dry firing keeps me in the game.

· Registered
16,168 Posts
No answers to your questions. I would suggest that after surgery you consider walking in a pool for an hour a day with the water up to your neck. Such was not suggested to me (both arms and a girl actually bone out of the left). I did that walk for weeks with a girl friend and she recovered full use of her arm after RT surgery.

· Registered
5,683 Posts
One of the reasons I carry appendix. Reaching to 4 o clock isn’t what it used to be.
Didn’t have replacement but had right rotator cuff done. Normally carried at 3-4 o’clock, but post-surgery, there was no way I could reach back that far, let alone draw.

Living in the incredibly safe city of Memphis, didn’t want to be urchin bait, so went appendix w/a G43. Worked out okay for the 8 months or so I needed it to heal out.

· Registered
1,658 Posts
I just had rotator cuff surgery last summer. August 18.
Same thing. All tore up. Tendons torn. Couldn't move my arm.
The surgeon put in 5 anchors.

I haven't had any pain since the surgery and it's working fine,just a little weak.

This talk of this kind if surgery not lasting has me worried now.

But while I was in a sling,I'm right handed and it was my right shoulder I learned to draw my pistol left handed out of a right handed holster. I've always practiced shooting off hand but drawing was something new to learn.

· Registered
900 Posts
"SO my question for the GT collective is this. Has anyone here had shoulder replacement, and what were the results, and did it affect your ability to carry and potentially employ a firearm in an emergency situation? "

I had total replacement of my right shoulder in June 2020 after years of increasing pain and limited mobility. I am right handed and was 71 years old at that time.

It was a success as I had a very good and young surgeon with the latest training AND I work like double hard in physical therapy. In fact the therapist cut me loose over two weeks early because I was doing so well and he knew I would follow up with my continued workouts at the gym. I would look around the big physical therapy room and I would be the only person in there working hard enough to sweat. A kid who grew up our neighborhood has a Masters degree in physical therapy. He says it is very frustrating at times because the patients often expect him to do some magic to heal them and regain range-of-motion. But is doesn't work like that as the job of the therapist is to provide know how and equipment. It it the job of the patient to do the work because it's his or her body.

I can now thread my belt on the right side, sleep on my right side, easily draw my weapon from a 4:00 position and have excellent range of motion. None of that was possible for years before my surgery. A plus was that the post surgery and physical therapy pain of the shoulder replacement was a nothing compared to the physical therapy pain of a knee replacement , which I had a 54 years old. That hurt like unfiltered sin. My wife has had two knee replacements and a hip replacement and concurs with me on the knee replacement pain compared to her hip replacement. But we both agree our artificial joints function great and are worth the few weeks of necessary pain.

My surgeon suggested at least three months before shooting or riding my road bikes. I tried both at three months and neither were comfortable. But by five months I was shooting all the handguns I wanted including .357 Magnums and .45 ACP handguns. Road cycling took a few months longer as I was testing with my racing bike which puts me in a very stretched out forward leaning position on the handlebars.

So, to more directly answer your question: My results have been excellent and after five months I could shoot any handgun I own, carry any handgun I own and draw from any position I use. It takes hard work in the therapy, but the results will likely be excellent if you dedicate yourself to that therapy. Best of luck and may God Bless should you choose to go that route!

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"SO my question for the GT collective is this. Has anyone here had shoulder replacement, and what were the results, and did it affect your ability to carry and potentially employ a firearm in an emergency situation? "

I had total replacement of my right shoulder in June 2020 after years of increasing pain and limited mobility. I am right handed and was 71 years old at that time.

It was a success as I had a very good and young surgeon with the latest training AND I work like double hard in physical therapy. In fact the therapist cut me loose over two weeks early because I was doing so well and he knew I would follow up with my continued workouts at the gym. I would look around the big physical therapy room and I would be the only person in there working hard enough to sweat. A kid who grew up our neighborhood has a Masters degree in physical therapy. He says it is very frustrating at times because the patients often expect him to do some magic to heal them and regain range-of-motion. But is doesn't work like that as the job of the therapist is to provide know how and equipment. It it the job of the patient to do the work because it's his or her body.

I can now thread my belt on the right side, sleep on my right side, easily draw my weapon from a 4:00 position and have excellent range of motion. None of that was possible for years before my surgery. A plus was that the post surgery and physical therapy pain of the shoulder replacement was a nothing compared to the physical therapy pain of a knee replacement , which I had a 54 years old. That hurt like unfiltered sin. My wife has had two knee replacements and a hip replacement and concurs with me on the knee replacement pain compared to her hip replacement. But we both agree our artificial joints function great and are worth the few weeks of necessary pain.

My surgeon suggested at least three months before shooting or riding my road bikes. I tried both at three months and neither were comfortable. But by five months I was shooting all the handguns I wanted including .357 Magnums and .45 ACP handguns. Road cycling took a few months longer as I was testing with my racing bike which puts me in a very stretched out forward leaning position on the handlebars.

So, to more directly answer your question: My results have been excellent and after five months I could shoot any handgun I own, carry any handgun I own and draw from any position I use. It takes hard work in the therapy, but the results will likely be excellent if you dedicate yourself to that therapy. Best of luck and may God Bless should you choose to go that route!
Thank you for your input.

For me, every day is an andverture into the pain cave. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, 8 bulging discs, neuropathy in both legs and feet, previous surgery on the right shoulder, surgery on the left knee, full tear to the achilles tendon on the left foot, etc, etc, etc. I'll know more on April 3 what the doc wants to do. Readings others experience with replacement makes me feel a lot better should that be the course we take.

· Registered
9,411 Posts
As far as carry and shooting, I bought a laser trainer and practiced daily. Did a lot of dry firing and draw strokes. Like others, I moved my weapon towards the front. I prefer AIWB or my Enigma nowadays, both positioned in more of a cross draw fashion. Always pocket carried, and that’s my main way of carrying. Do like a quality shoulder holster as well.

I’m a normal right handed shooter now. Left hand is just too damaged. Low recoiling handguns and lots of dry firing keeps me in the game.
How do you like your Enigma? I was thinking about getting one for my G19.

· Registered
738 Posts
I had a standard shoulder replacement of the left shoulder in Feb 2018, shot Gunsite Alumni Shoot in October 2018, and October 2019, October 2020. Skipped GAS in 2021, due to reduced mobility in right shoulder, had reverse shoulder replacement of right shoulder in Jan 2022, fully recovered by June. I have more mobility in my right shoulder than I have had in years. I will be 71 this year, and as of now, plan to shoot GAS in October, Lord willing.

· Premium Member
261 Posts
How do you like your Enigma? I was thinking about getting one for my G19.
I really like it. I have the j frame and Glock shells (17,42,43). All carry well. I do believe the lighter pistols carry the best, but others are doable with the proper adjustments and getting use to the holster. Just got to find that sweet spot. I got the Sports Belt with each of mine. Really helps I think.

I think a 3” LCRX would be awesome in one!

· Registered
9,411 Posts
I really like it. I have the j frame and Glock shells (17,42,43). All carry well. I do believe the lighter pistols carry the best, but others are doable with the proper adjustments and getting use to the holster. Just got to find that sweet spot. I got the Sports Belt with each of mine. Really helps I think.

I think a 3” LCRX would be awesome in one!
Thanks! I appreciate your honest opinion and recommendation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts