Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,225 Posts
I have had 3. One I returned for refund. They have their place in MN. If you depend a lot of time outdoors. I use the vertical one the most. You are not muzzling other with that. I have even been allowed to take training using it. (?After request, getting there early, moving me to end...)

A fully zipped up jacket Makes a IWB slow. But a vertical shoulder rig can be accessed with jacket halfway unzipped. (I like long jackets,). It's handy in the rare times you need to drop a Duce in a public bathroom. ;)
Carrying lots of heavy stuff it does not get snagged,,or in tight corners, spots

·
NRA Life Member
32,160 Posts
Used to carry a Smith Model 15 in a shoulder holster in the missile site. The holsters we were supposed to use were big floppy messes on a second belt that always got caught on the arms of the chairs we had to sit in ( old B-52 seats on rails ).

Didn't take me long to get a Safariland X15 vertical shoulder holster.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Does anyone carry in a shoulder holster?

I purchased a couple holsters from Gunfightersinc for my 26 and 43x. I got the wraith IWB for both guns. I also saw they have a shoulder holster.

https://gunfightersinc.com/spectre-shoulder-holster/

So I broke down and ordered one for my 43x. It arrived about 5 weeks later and it seems awesome. I can’t use it yet cause it’s still summer but I can’t wait to try it out with a jacket etc. should be a lot better for driving etc.

Anyone have any shoulder holster experience? Likes, dislikes?

Thanks
James
I have a few and really like them.Went with Galco with the duel mag, pouch. Extremely comfortable.

·
Registered
13,280 Posts
Shoulder holsters are really cool on TV and in the movies.

They really suck in real life. Try running after someone and seeing your pistol making sparks on the pavement ahead of you at night.

The horizontal holsters present a MUCH higher risk of a grab attempt by an opponent.

I have personally experienced both.

Then there's the back and shoulder pain, the fact that you can't take off your damned jacket or coat, the frequent unintentional exposure of the weapon to public view, and did I mention the back and shoulder pain?

Rookie cops and detectives use shoulder holsters. If they survive to become hairbags they carry on the waistband.
It depends on the gun and the holster.

I used to carry my backup in a shoulder holster under my uniform shirt when it was a revolver. Why? Because I was in patrol in a car and have been attacked while sitting in the car.

The button down uniform shirt protects it from the grab but it’s still available.

And yes, I have had to draw it many times. It’s a lot easier to draw sitting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a safariland for a sw 19 and later a jackass for a sw 659, and they ended up in the holster drawer.... I did like a ken null for a sw 642, but sold it with the gun... now that I have a 43X will have to see if null makes a shoulder rig

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Miami classic is a great way to carry while driving or riding a motorcycle.

I have one for my Kahr.

I am s but too fat to use it currently. But I am working at losing the excess weight.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Yes I do. G17 - very easy - albeit a little heavy - but a lot of fire-power. Horseshoe leather with the thumb retention trimmed off - still very secure - the rest is Galco. Works good! I'm waiting for a new one from Andy (he is struggling with illness) for my G48. I don't know why people ignore shoulders - they work in a lot of circumstances. :cheers:
Handgun holster Leather Brown Belt Gun accessory

Reactions: Jbritt

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the replies and experience. I wore it tonight when I picked up my wife and it’s way more comfy for being in a car. Gotta make a few adjustments. I think I like it better without the belt straps and it adjusted really tight under the arm pits. Seems to be more stable when drawing and running etc (yes I ran around the house lol).

So far I think it will be perfect for what I want it for. Mainly driving when I have to pick up my wife late at night or in winter when I’ll have in a jacket or coat.

As far a Gunfightersinc goes, I love their holsters. I don’t care about their “models” or whatever. I didn’t think their guy with the holster looked like a convict or a parolee. Actually he looks a little like me 20 years ago lol. I get what you are saying though with the name “gunfightersinc” and their “commercial” of the holster. I found them when I bought a Ronin OWB for my 19x Off of amazon. I like that they don’t use screws. I know what cant i want so I don’t care about adjusting that and I like their really positive retention so I never wanted to adjust that. Overall a really high quality kydex holster with some unique designs like the shoulder holster and their chest holster etc. lead time is a little long (3-6 weeks) but they have quick ship options (1-3 days).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Black Still life photography Photography Monochrome Metal
Here’s a picture of just the holster. Sorry for the crappy pic but it’s late and I don’t care that much right now. I like the 45 degree angle it sits at. Nice angle of draw.

I’m going to take it with me when I go to the country this weekend and practice drawing while seated and shooting out the window. Can’t do that **** in the city.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I wear a shoulder holster at work. It is issued and we have to wear what is issued. All of us hate them and take the holster off when we are in the office.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Tried one for awhile. Didn’t continue for all of the reasons previously mentioned. All told, it was a lot of apparatus just to carry a handgun.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I’ve used it for the last two night when I drive to get my wife and I love it for just driving.

Kinda chilly today so when I was out running around I wore it with a light fleece jacket. I like it a lot so far. I only wore it for about 4 hours but I didn’t get any shoulder pain or any discomfort. I had to take it off when I returned home cause the temp warmed up and it was too hot for a jacket so back to my AIWB.

·
Registered
30,518 Posts
Years ago I bought a nice one at a gun show.

Just didn't like wearing it.

I loaned it to a fellow to try, and possibly buy.
He returned it. He couldn't like it either.

I'd suggest that before anyone puts a good bit of money in one, if possible, they try it first.

·
Premium Member
CLM #38
10,986 Posts
After carrying Glocks for the past 20 years and before that, several 1911's, with all due respect, can you explain to me, how a 1911 is as you say, is MUCH safer to carry in a shoulder rig than a Glock.
I would be happy to. Having carried 1911's and Glocks for the last 37 years concealed on a daily basis, it will be easy for me to enlighten you.

The 1911 is a single action pistol. It is cocked, and, in that state has at LEAST two ACTIVE safeties which require actions other than pulling the trigger to deactivate. The thumb safety must be depressed, and the grip safety must be deactivated by the presence of a firm grip. Should something interdict the trigger (say a strap or piece of clothing) while the weapon is being inserted into the holster, the gun would remain safe and unfired. That example is not even taking into account those 1911's which are fitted with passive firing pin safeties. In those instances, there are three safeties involved, two of which require positive actions to defeat, while that third firing pin safety would fall into the passive category.

Now let's look at the Glock. Despite the nonsense about SAFE ACTION, you are holstering a pistol that is three quarters cocked with NO ACTIVE safeties. Yes, yes, we all know about the firing pin safety and the drop safety, but both of those are passive, and are deactivated when the trigger is pulled or accidentally depressed. That's ALL that is required to fire the Glock. So if something interdicts the trigger of your Glock as it is being placed into the shoulder holster (or any other type of holster for that matter) you wind up with a very loud BANG and most likely some damage to your person, and hopefully no damage to any other person in the vicinity.

Therefore, I reiterate. Holstering a 1911 is SUBSTANTIALLY safer than holstering a Glock.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I wear a shoulder holster at work. It is issued and we have to wear what is issued. All of us hate them and take the holster off when we are in the office.
A police agency that just issues shoulder holsters? That’s a new one, most agencies where I’m at ban shoulder holster carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MedicineBow
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.