GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a cheapo but I wanted to see what it was about before spending too much. I'm ready to move up now. Any recommendations for a decent vertical shoulder rig for a Glock 20 with 5.5" barrel and opposite shoulder spare mag pouch? One thing good about my current cheapy, I was able to fit a lite weight knife behind the mag pouches. The gun just would not stay fitted close to my body, it wanted to free float and swing causing it to print. (Supposed to be vertical but balance is wrong.) I had to do some serious mods to make it functional.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
It was a cheapo but I wanted to see what it was about before spending too much. I'm ready to move up now. Any recommendations for a decent vertical shoulder rig for a Glock 20 with 5.5" barrel and opposite shoulder spare mag pouch? One thing good about my current cheapy, I was able to fit a lite weight knife behind the mag pouches. The gun just would not stay fitted close to my body, it wanted to free float and swing causing it to print. (Supposed to be vertical but balance is wrong.) I had to do some serious mods to make it functional.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This comes to mind...

https://www.galcogunleather.com/vertical-holster-system-vhs-4-0_8_2_1526.html

-Tim

EDIT: Please disregard... I just realized they don't make this for the large frame Glocks, sorry.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I only have one SH. Galco. For the motorcycle. Much better on the bike than the OWB. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I have Galco Miami Classic rigs for both my G20 and one that works with my G19, 23, 26 and 27. Love them, but they're horizontal. Galco used to make the Jackass rig which was the same as the Miami Classic but vertical but I think they stopped making them. Might find a used one. Someone might have one on ebay.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I’m getting old but I remember when good leather shoulder holsters were only about $150. That one was going for over 250.
I think most nylon shoulder holsters aren’t any good for real EDC so I guess people are stuck with those prices if they want the comfort of good leather.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
I don't know if it would fit your Glock 20, but I really like this one?

https://specgear.com

I personally prefer the right hand cross draw one.

https://i2.wp.com/specgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cross.png?ssl=1

It does take some fitting to find the 'sweet spot'. I cut off a lot of the accessary stuff. Just leaving the holster and some spare mag pouches on the right hand side. It's extremely comfortable for me, once I get it properly adjusted. Once adjusted, it's pretty easy to put on without any problem. If your chest is right on the dividing point in chest sizes, order the larger size.

Of course with a concealed shoulder rig, you have to either pull a 'Superman'; or have shirts with snaps instead of buttons. If I'm using buttons, I frequently leave the second button down unbuttoned.

I have a drawer full of the traditional waist type holsters by many different makers, but with my bad back this is the only one I've ever found that is truly comfortable for all day wear. Again be prepared to spend some time adjusting it to find the sweet spot.

But since everything is velcro, fine tuning the adjustment is relatively easy. A mirror is handy for the adjusting process.

Edit I just found this in the FAQ section.

What firearms will fit in the TRUSS® Holster?
Almost all semi-autos and many revolvers will work fine in your TRUSS®. If you have a specific gun that you want confirmation, just email us and we will get you an answer. We also can do custom orders if your gun doesn’t fit in the standard TRUSS®.

Edit two. I personally carry my P365 up fairly close under my armpit, so the end of the barrel is above my belt line. Then I slightly blouse my shirt and carry a small glasses case in my shirt pocket to help hide the outline of the pistols butt. I also cross the shoulder straps on my backside, to keep them from slipping off my shoulders. And I don't use the pistol retention straps that come with it. If I've ever been 'made', no one has ever said anything.

At my age, I'm not engaging in hard physical activity. It is slightly warm in hot weather. But unless working on the farm, I'm generally in AC on summer days. For sweaty outside working on the farm, I have a conventional shoulder holster worn open carry style. I only conceal when I go to town.

·
Registered
156 Posts
T
I have a galco 'classic lite rig'. It's the raw leather... SUPER comfortable. Also configurable. Comes with horizontal carry, but it's modular so you can replace it with a vertical if you really want to.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/classic-lite-shoulder-system_8_2_1057.html
This is what I currently have on, it's a great rig. The only thing I don't like about the suede is it tends to stick to my undershirt and cause it to bunch up. Not sure if the smooth leather harness would solve this

·
Registered
513 Posts
I carry my Glock 20 in a Galco Miami Classic when I'm driving and in the woods. It's horizontal and almost has to be in this setup. I don't think a vertical holster would have enough resistance to draw without it secured somewhere lower than the holster/gun. It works in the horizontal position because the strap on your back prevents the holster from moving forward.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I carry my Glock 20 in a Galco Miami Classic when I'm driving and in the woods. It's horizontal and almost has to be in this setup. I don't think a vertical holster would have enough resistance to draw without it secured somewhere lower than the holster/gun. It works in the horizontal position because the strap on your back prevents the holster from moving forward.
I’ve had vertical shoulder holsters that didn’t need a tie down to be able to draw it. The leather is stiff enough that it doesn’t ride up as you draw

·
A swamp dude
10,925 Posts
I’ve learned that the Galco ‘Miami Classic’ is a fine shoulder holster if adjusted properly. Proper fit means the holster is tucked snugly under the arm pit, not hanging loosely. The proper fit allows arm pressure to be applied to hold the holster for a clean 1-hand draw.

Galco holsters are expensive, but they’re good quality leather products. I had to stretch my current Miami Classic to get a good fit for my G19, but the company’s on-line video explains how to stretch the holster for a perfect fit.

A shoulder holster is clearly the most comfortable way to carry a handgun.

·
2,994 Posts
T

This is what I currently have on, it's a great rig. The only thing I don't like about the suede is it tends to stick to my undershirt and cause it to bunch up. Not sure if the smooth leather harness would solve this
you can rub the suede smooth to resolve that. enough wear eventually burnishes it.

·
2,994 Posts
on another note, Alien Gear now does shoulder rigs. I have their shapeshift hip holster and it's one of the most comfortable ones I've worn. Their should harness looks a bit bulky in comparison to galcos, but I'm considering buying the pancake part from alien gear and mounting to my galco just to try it out. My Walther PPQ M2 is a super tight fit into the galco and I was looking for a fix to that anyway

·
Registered
513 Posts
I’ve had vertical shoulder holsters that didn’t need a tie down to be able to draw it. The leather is stiff enough that it doesn’t ride up as you draw
Are you referring to the leather on the harness? I can see that. I've carried a big bore in a bandito shoulder belt from time to time. I made a generalization when I should have been very specific about the the Miami Classic. The Miami Classic's harness system is very thin to make it comfortable [I guess in Miami] and you need some additional resistance to overcome the contact friction and retention setting. Something that should be considered if you order a vertical holster for this very specific system.

·
A swamp dude
10,925 Posts
Reactions: Caver 60
1 - 20 of 50 Posts