close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shoulder Carry question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by heavyweight_4u, Feb 20, 2010.

1. heavyweight_4u

heavyweight_4u

Im new to CCW and about to purchase a shoulder rig. Im looking at a Galco Miami Classic, my question is im a big guy and wondered if anyone knew how adjustable they were. Ive looked at my local shops but they dont have one for me to try on to see. I have a 58" chest for comparision. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

2. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

They are very adjustable. The key question here is WHY are you looking to get a shoulder holster?

IF you spend most of your day sitting in a vehicle, it can be good.

IF you spend a lot of time in the bathroom, it can be good.

IF you want one because you think it is the best (The professional) way to carry, DON'T get one. Many people will get one just for the COOL factor and quickly stop wearing it because it is not very concealable unless you spend all day in custom cut jackets, or winter jackets.

I only wear mine if I will be spending all day driving, AND will be wearing a jacket ALL day. Otherwise I carry using a Milt Sparks VM-2 or a Galco Concealable holster.

3. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

They have quite a range of adjustment.
    Years ago, I bought one for winter carry, more or less as a novelty because I can't stand IWB/OWB. It did not work for me at all.
    I don't know anyone that carries in a shoulder holster. YMMV.

4. heavyweight_4u

heavyweight_4u

I do alot of driving, roughly 3-5 hours per day. I also have a Galco IWB but its not very comfy while driving so its one reason for looking at a shoulder rig.

5. Just1More

Just1More

I wouldn't carry a gun in a holster that points it at someone. A shoulder rig breaks one of the golden rules of gun safety. They should be outlawed in my opinion.

6. rahrah12

rahrah12

I have one and use it a lot, I live in Seattle and often have a jacket, vest, wind breaker deal on...I wear a lot of athletic clothes like sweatpants and find it easier to use the shoulder rig when I do...

They have a lot of different adjustments that will help you get a good fit...

7. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I think shoulder holsters really come into their own during deer season. That is the only time I will use one. It is a back up to my rifle and I like it because it will keep the pistol on the offside from the shoulder in which the long gun is slung on. It keeps the two from banging into each other all day long. It also makes it easier to sit more comfortably in a tree stand for longer periods of time. (Mostly all day as well.)

They also would be great if you did a lot of driving.

They do have their drawbacks though as any other system will. I don't like the fact that most are horizontal holsters and end up pointing a loaded weapon at everybody behind you. You also need a fairly thick shirt or some sort of jacket to conceal them well enough in most situations.

Just my $0.02 on this subject.

8. HexHead

HexHead

Yes, because guns just go off all by themselves. :rofl:

9. Poppa Bear

Which IWB? The only IWB I have found comfortable is my VM-2 due to its wide footprint. For OWB my Concealable is quite comfortable, but it also has a wide footprint which helps distribute the bulk.

PS. My carry gun is a G22.

10. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

To answer your original question, while the rig is adjustable a 58" chest is getting toward the limit, IIRC. I'd certainly find one to try first, or make a deal with wherever you ordered it that it could be returned if it didn't work out. Lots of professionals have worn a lot of shoulder rigs a lot of time, and there is nothing wrong with them. But if they are not sized properly they will be a bit of a pain. You might call Galco direct and see what the upper limit of the rig is.

11. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

People carrying IWB/OWB should be forbidden by law from ever being on the 2nd or higher floor of a building, from entering buildings that have basements, or from entering cities that have subways, or from using bridges. They're violating one of the basic laws of firearms safety by pointing their holstered weapon at people below them. :upeyes:

12. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

They are not all that great.
    I will transition to one in the Winter time, but they get heavy after walking around a bit.

13. Poppa Bear

Mine only works because I have the offside mag pouch which helps balance the weight.

14. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

So does mine.

It's a Ross rig for a Glock 17, and has an offside magazine pouch for 2 magazines.

15. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

You could always look at a vertical carry shoulder holster.

16. 1234Havasu

1234Havasu

You might want to check the ads here on GT. I recall seeing that very rig for sale here in the last few days.

17. hambone33

hambone33

Like everything they have a time and place . I have 2 one for my j-frame one for a small frame glock . I'm a 58 in the chest and mine fit fine .

18. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Shoulder holsters fill a niche for some people. I use mine mostly when I wear a hoodie and have to be active-ish at church or something to just "hide" the gun more or less.

19. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Definitely a niche holster, but Galco's MC and Jackass shoulder rigs are top notch. As stated, you probably won't end up carrying that way very often. Shoulder rigs are quite adjustable. When properly tuned, a shoulder rig has the gun and offside mag carrier sitting closer to the armpit than the belt. When properly tuned, no tiedowns are necessary.

20. one"Lucky"shot

one"Lucky"shot your 6 is my 12

Don't forget little people and children! they are below belt line too.... :whistling:

I have and USE a shoulder holster from time to time. It is just easier to throw it on, with a jacket than to change belts, or pants, find the holster that fits the need.... blah blah. just grab the rig, a jacket gun and out the door you go! (with my rig, that gives you a loaded weapon AND two spare mags)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010