Should you mix colors on night sights??

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Ryanty12, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Ryanty12

Ryanty12

Can anyone with night sights tell me your color set-up and how well they show up in contrast with each other? I don't know if i should mix up the colors or go with all green which is where i seem to be swaying towards.

2. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

A lot of people use yellow back and green front because they said it is easily to acquire the target when they are like that. I think all green should work good though.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Dim light or complete darkness, just waking up...some people have spatial disorientation and can't tell which green sight is the front one.
    If you have a different-colored front sight, then all you have to remember is to put the off-colored one inbetween the other two and you've got the correct sight picture.

4. hogarth

hogarth

I have yellow rear/green front on my G19. I like 'em. I'd avoid the orange rear ones, though, b/c I heard that orange doesn't glow as long as yellow or green, meaning you'd have to replace the orange rear sights earlier than you would the yellow or green ones.

5. rappa29

rappa29 JAFO

When I had my SiG P229, I had green front/orange rear Meps. I mixed colors for the reason stated above regarding quick identification of the front sight.

6. Ryanty12

Ryanty12

Can you tell a difference between the yellow and green? What im trying to say is does the green stand out enough against the yellow back sights?

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Can't hurt to use different colors.. but personally I don't see it helping beyond the hypothetical. I've never seen an example of a grip where the gun is so out of alignment that you could possibly confuse a rear dot for the front.

8. Ryanty12

Ryanty12

haha, ya i was kind of wondering that myself. i think the contrasting colors seem to be a good idea.

9. G20-IWB24/7

G20-IWB24/7 Mortician

Green/green for me (on every defensive pistol I own). I just like and prefer it that way. Can't give you any more scientific reasoning than that.

10. imaguy3

imaguy3

I have one that's all green (22), and another that's green front/orange
    rear (22c). When my all green's go out I'm replacing them with the different color setup...

I haven't "confused" a rear dot for the front, but if you go in a dark room, and from the draw try to instantly pick up the front sight, I find myself pausing for a split-second to make sure it is correct... as opposed to the split colors I instantly pick up the different color so I know which dot is my front...

Regarding the orange lasting as long as green debate. I bought my 22c used in 2003. It had the sites installed approximately 2-3 yrs prior to that according to the previous owner. I can still see my orange sights when it's dark/dim out. Granted they're not as bright as the front green sight, however isn't the front sight what you want to be focusing on anyway? I'm happy with them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. 125K9

125K9

With the exception of my new G19, all of my other pistols with night sights are Sigs. They all have Ameriglo green front/yellow rear. Yes, I can easily tell the difference between the contrasting colors as that's why I chose that color scheme to begin with. My aging eyes have a very hard time with three dots (not my preferred sighting arrangement anyway) that are all of the same color.

12. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

It depends a lot on your eyesight. My sights are getting a bit fuzzy, so I thought different colors would help, and also the issue of sight alignment.

I'm not too sure on the alignment thing, as my grip gets me there, but I'll take any advantage. Who knows what the scenario might be. You might be taking aim from an awkward position.

I bought Trijicon green front/yellow rear. Not much help at anything. I have to strain to see the difference. Too much time wasted. If you have great eyes, they may work out. Not so for me.

For less than 20/20 vision, I think Heinie Straight 8's or a bar/dot set up might be better than colors. One dot on top of another. Not looking for colors, and not seeing which one is between which. Big Dot might be good also.

I got Heinie QWIK Straight 8 Ledge sights. I like 'em.

13. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

All my guns have a blacked out rear sight and only one has a front night sight..

14. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

15. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Many shooters I know have this same set up.

:cool:

16. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

If it's dark, really dark, how do these shooters know the "front sight dot" is between the uprights? Just asking.

17. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

I have the orange/green Meprolights on my G26:

Low light
    [​IMG]
    No light
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  18. tinman517

tinman517

That works for these old eyes.

19. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I have green/green Trijicons on the G22
    Never a problem gettin em lined up in my nighttime backyard ASSAULT:wow: course and hittin the steel bad guy's

My G23 has Ameriglo green/yellow sights
    Maybe a bit quicker line up-certainly not a liability
    Positive for sure

20. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I have 2 Glocks with Trijicons and just installed a set of Zone 3 NS with green front and yellow rear...$67.99 + $2.15 shipping on ebay (what??? No $7-$10 for shipping?) I like the contrasting color better so they will be my choice from now on.

Zeke