Should Trump nominate a replacement for Ginsburg?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by jeanderson, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Yes, nominate someone immediately and begin hearings

281 vote(s)
    93.4%
  2. No, wait until after inauguration

20 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. Pythonman

Pythonman

If this was a Democrat Presidents nomination for SCOTUS, and they had a majority in the Senate, does anyone even imagine they would give a flying damn about what the Republicans thought in regards to waiting 2 months for an election to pass before nominating? Hell no they wouldn't wait. They'd ram it through so fast it'd make our heads spin. And with 100 Per Cent of the democrats on board with the vote. None of the weak spined crap RINO garbage we have to contend with in the GOP.

JDubbs316, pAZ Ron, wprebeck and 3 others like this.
  2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Come on man!!

Well, if one of them wants to accuse her of being racist, they can feel free to do so, but once she holds up a picture of her two black adopted children while eviscerating said Democrat, that person will have proven to the entire world what a fool they are.

Pennsyltucky and nursetim like this.

3. thewitt

thewitt

Huh?

Republicans controlled the Senate and were not going to confirm.

If the Democrats controlled the Senate today, they would certainly not confirm a Trump pick.

That's a precedent.

4. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Trump needs to nominate a replacement immediately, and McConnell needs to get them confirmed.

As for the pissing and moaning about the Democrats...For God's sake! Grow a pair! You know they would do the same to us.

BGDaddy, wprebeck, B C and 1 other person like this.
  5. 7th District

7th District

The mainstream media is getting this wrong as well. I’d say they are doing so intentionally.

The rule set in 2016 was when the senate & the presidency were held by opposing political parties. Had Chuck & the Dems controlled the senate in 2016, I don’t think they would have hesitated a day to push Merrick Garland through.

6. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

And the precedent went back even further. In the not so distant past, a vacancy came open in the last year year of a republican president and the democrats said they should\would wait for a new president. It might have been Reagan. It seems like it was Bidens idea back then. In Obama's last year, McConnell used that precedent to hold off until Trump won, and that is said to have helped Trump because it made a lot of right wing fence sitters more open to Trump.

It doesn't really matter. If election issues go to the SCOTUS, democrats have one less vote, and we might be better off like that instead of another judge who goes rogue after getting in. If the incentive helps Trump win, he still gets to fill the position.

There is absolutely no doubt the democrats would fill it if the positions were reversed. But unlike republicans, democrats don't have turncoats who sabotage the agenda, and if they do, they pay dearly. Nutless McConnell isn't a threat to saboteurs.

pAZ Ron and 7th District like this.
  7. jwagess

jwagess

Would a Democrat President hesitate to nominate someone?

jr24, B C and nursetim like this.
  8. nursetim

nursetim

The left will equate it as the same as Jefferson sleeping with Sallie Hemmings, it doesn’t prove they aren’t racists.

9. nursetim

nursetim

The republicans need to follow suit!

Pythonman likes this.
  10. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

11. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Funny to hear a man who weaponized large portions of the federal government for use against the people, lecture us on what the Constitution says and the rule of law.

nursetim, JFrame and Officer's Match like this.
  12. B C

B C

13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Where is it written that a President is prevented from appointing a judge?

If it's buried somewhere in the fine print of the Constitution, it can be amended.
    If it's just a verbal statement from a politician, it can be ignored;
    if you leftists don't like it, you can elect a different politician.

One Congress can't bind the hands of a subsequent congress.

14. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Trump will likely nominate Judge Barbara Lagoa. There's a high degree of communication occurring this weekend between DC and Judge Lagoa.

B C likes this.
  15. thewitt

thewitt

Um... nowhere.

The job of the President is to nominate judges.
    The job of the Senate is to advise and consent.

There are no timing restrictions.

Paul53 likes this.
  16. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again!

Looking back over the many responses, I perhaps should have phrased my question differently. It's clear that a president is obligated, under the Constitution, to nominate a SCOTUS justice. I don't disagree there. My question was more one of the politics of it, and its effect on the election. Should hearings and a vote be rushed before the election? That has the optics of trying to pull a fast one. That will fire up Democrats.

I wish nothing more than to see a 6-3 (or 5-4, if you discount Roberts) conservative majority. I want to see the 2A defended as well as the rights of the unborn. I want to see sanity restored in our immigration system and I want to see the wall built. If we can get Donald Trump re-elected and hold on to the Senate (and maybe pick up a seat or two), this will happen. I don't see it as urgent to replace Ginsburg right this very minute. Just my $.02

17. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

If the Senate does not confirm a new SCOTUS seat they will be guilty of giving aid and comfort to the enemy in a time of war. This is war.

pAZ Ron and nursetim like this.
  18. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

All this crap about hypocrisy is nothing but partisans BSing the ignorant. In '92, Biden announced that a Dem Senate would not confirm a Republican nominee in the last year. In '07, Schumer announced the same. Then in 2016, McConnell announced that a Republican Senate would not confirm a Dem nominee under the same circumstances. Whether any of us like it or not, the Senate is not a rubber stamp for the Executive, and all 3 of those men we're acting in accordance with the constitution. And right now, with the Senate and the Executive controlled by the same party, McConnell is also acting in accordance with the constitution.

If you want someone to blame, Harry Reid is your man. McConnell warned him that nuking the judicial filibuster would blow up in the Dems' faces, but their philosophy for the past few decades at least, has been that they will do whatever it takes to win today, and they'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Well, that cigar exploded on the evening of November 8th, 2016, when Trump was elected President.

And if Trump fills the nomination and the voters don't like it, they're free to throw the bums out. If the founders are looking down on us right now, they know that everything is going according to plan.

jeanderson likes this.
  19. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry....

That's an interesting thought. "We'll have to confirm and seat her before you get to see what qualifications she has." D's would implode!!!

Pythonman and nursetim like this.
  20. NoJoy

NoJoy