GlockTalk Forum banner

Should Trump nominate a replacement for Ginsburg?

• Yes, nominate someone immediately and begin hearings

Votes: 281 93.4%
  • No, wait until after inauguration

Votes: 20 6.6%
201 - 211 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Here are my thoughts;

• A President is elected for a four year term. Not a 3 year and 9 month term.
  • It is the President's duty to appoint a nominee for the Senate to confirm.
  • The Senate has a precedent of not having a hearing if the WH and Senate are of opposite parties and having a hearing if they are the same.
  • I don't care what kind of hissy fit the Dems have. It's the law and they would do the same if the roles were reversed.
So in conclusion, Trump will pick a nominee and it will be up to the Senate at that point. Apparently Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell are behind moving it through the Senate. Trump will win re-election, his pick will be confirmed and the Dem party will cease to exist during his second term. With a lot of them being arrested and convicted including BHO, HRC and the rest of the gang.

WWG1WGA.

·
Banned
458 Posts
Here are my thoughts;

• A President is elected for a four year term. Not a 3 year and 9 month term.
  • It is the President's duty to appoint a nominee for the Senate to confirm.
  • The Senate has a precedent of not having a hearing if the WH and Senate are of opposite parties and having a hearing if they are the same.
  • I don't care what kind of hissy fit the Dems have. It's the law and they would do the same if the roles were reversed.
So in conclusion, Trump will pick a nominee and it will be up to the Senate at that point. Apparently Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell are behind moving it through the Senate. Trump will win re-election, his pick will be confirmed and the Dem party will cease to exist during his second term. With a lot of them being arrested and convicted including BHO, HRC and the rest of the gang.

WWG1WGA.
Slight correction for accuracy: “Trump will pick a FEMALE nominee”. This is extremely different from picking the most QUALIFIED person.

·
Banned
458 Posts
Don't you pick your mate based on sex glands ?

Don't you remember that you blushed embarrassed at one time or another, when a family member asked you about your sex gland picked friend ?
I’m missing the applicability of your questions to Trumps sexist position of excluding qualified SCOTUS candidates based only on their (male) sex. If my answers are needed they are: yes and no. Would your position be the same if Trump announced he is now excluding all women and will only consider male nominees for SCOTUS?

·
Free Full Clip!
17,113 Posts
There is another advantage to doing the confirmation process befoire the election that no one is talking about. It will dominate the news and overshadow all the slimy mud the mudslinging slimy Libs will be slinging at Trump before election day.

And as far as the snivelers who are saying that it's not FAIR that Republicans wouldn't allow Obama to appoint Scalia's successor in an election year but now they're letting Trump do it, all I can say to anyone who actually thinks that, is one thing:

GROW UP!

·
Registered
55,341 Posts
I suspect that any woman President Trump nominates for the SCOTUS will be more competent than Chief Justice Roberts... Especially based on Roberts' last few decisions...

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Slight correction for accuracy: “Trump will pick a FEMALE nominee”. This is extremely different from picking the most QUALIFIED person.
The Dems are going to go after this candidate with such fury, it will look like Kavanaugh got a slap on the wrist by comparison. I'm already seeing hit pieces out on Amy Barrett.

The low-information sort buy into the lie that Dems are all for women and Repubs are all woman-haters. Seeing the Democrats absolutely savage Trump's nominee might open some eyes. Yeah, I guess part of it is cheap politics. But that's how it is, and I'm confident that there are a number of capable Constitutionalist females out there for Trump to pick from.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Does anyone else think it’s WRONG to make the initial SCOTUS screening by DNA/sex gland type??? This eliminates many (most?) of the senior experienced jurists in the U.S.! Doesn’t it embarrass the final Supreme Court Judge to say: “well, no, I wasn’t the most qualified attorney but I had the specified sex glands.....?”
Personally, sure. But it's politics and identity politics are part of the game, and as much as we prefer absolute constructionalist judges, personal lifestyle does allow a different lense to view life through.

I can say that when I noted that Trump was going to nominate a woman my wife (who is right leaning but pretty borderline) was pretty happy to hear it and felt it would be a fitting tribute to RGB.

So it matters, it shouldn't, but it does.

Still, on the short list of qualified candidates, how does one differentiate who is the most qualified for a judge anyway?

·
Registered
15,332 Posts
I’m missing the applicability of your questions to Trumps sexist position of excluding qualified SCOTUS candidates based only on their (male) sex. If my answers are needed they are: yes and no. Would your position be the same if Trump announced he is now excluding all women and will only consider male nominees for SCOTUS?
Like it or not, SCOTUS appointments are still a political matter since the President does not get to simply place the best candidate in the position, he must get 50 members of the Senate to agree with his pick.

·
Registered
14,869 Posts
THE PATRIOT POST

For the record: “The week after President Jimmy Carter lost his 1980 re-election bid, he announced the judicial nomination of a close ally of Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Ted Kennedy. The nomination sailed through the Senate, which confirmed the First U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge 80-10 less than a month later, six weeks before Inauguration Day. That nominee, Stephen Breyer, now sits on the Supreme Court. … Another bit of history: In 1980, [Joe] Biden voted to confirm Judge Breyer.” —David B. Rivkin Jr. and Andrew M. Grossman

201 - 211 of 211 Posts