Should the USA go to war over Taiwan?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by czsmithGT, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

China has no where near the capability to take Taiwan right now. I doubt we could and we have more amphibious capability than the rest of the world put together. They also don't need to do it militarily they will influence local politics enough to make them a puppet state soon enough.

2. WT

WT Millennium Member

No, the USA should not be involved in a China - Taiwan War. We need to keep out of it.

The USN has played out 18 War Game scenarios with China as an opponent. The USN lost every time.

A USN carrier strike group in the South China Sea would be dead meat.

The Taiwan Strait is only 500 feet deep. It is probably seeded with many submarine sensors and submarine hunting drones.

Edit: looking closer at the Taiwan Strait navigation charts I was surprised to see that the water depth is not as deep as I previously thought. In many places it is only 100' to 150' feet deep. Not conducive to submarine warfare. I think hunter-killer UUVs would be more appropriate.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020

3. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Not our monkeys, not our circus.
    No American blood should be shed over Taiwan/ChiCom wars.
    I'm really interested to see India, Pakistan and China and the effects of canned sunshine.

Bus007 likes this.
  4. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I’m not sure but I see us either fighting them physically or we had better keep them in check by fighting them economically, industrially, computerverse and politically. We need to bring a lot of production back home; I.e. drugs, lead, steel, etc. We couldn’t fight a “hot” war with China right now if we wanted to. They’d cut our supply of Rx drugs off and 10% of the US would be dead within a month of us running out.
    We need to shutdown as much of their spying and industrial espionage as we can. They are wrecking us and catching up through rampant, blatant theft. They are using their belt and road approach to gain leverage over entire regions of the world.
    They are at war with us. Other than Trump, we really don’t seem to be fighting them. We need to get serious. We are either going to war with them in a metaphysical sense or in a real world sense, but it will happen.

5. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

The ChiComs would have to go through a part of our Pacific Fleet to attack Taiwan. That would be war. I can't see it progressing to Nuke war but anything is possible in a situation like that.

6. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

7. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Look at the circuit board inside your cell phone, and other electronic things, most of them are manufactured in Taiwan. We taught them.

Then look at Taiwan being the dominant supplier in world electronics. You'll get the idea that a conflict likely to have a lot of parties to get involved. It may shutdown Taiwan and revive semiconductor manufacturing in the US.

8. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I think that's most of Middle East also.

mike from st pe likes this.
  9. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Philippines might be a done deal. Their president already calls his country a province of China.