Should the USA go to war over Taiwan?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by czsmithGT, Sep 21, 2020.

1. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Obviously the UK did not go to war over Hong Kong and now the people there are screwed.

I have no answer but just asking a question- when do we say enough is enough for Chinese agression- is there a red line or not? Honestly I think it may be too late to prevent china and the Democrat party from turning our country into a slave state absent a total nuclear war.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...s-world-war-3-xi-jinping-pla-usa-donald-trump

Taiwan invasion: China 'rehearsing takeover' of island - horrifying warning sent to Trump

GlockPride likes this.
  2. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

The UK and Hong Kong were completely different deal. The UK and China had an agreement, the UK lived up to it and turned it back over when it was complete. What China has done with Hong Kong since the turnover is reprehensible, but there was nothing the UK could go to war over. It's not like we didn't know that China does things like that all the time within their own borders.

I'd like to say no, that the US shouldn't interfere in things. "Friendly relationships with all nations and entangling alliances with none." But I don't think I can, especially after seeing what China has done to Hong Kong.

Jade Falcon, Pandaz3, NMG26 and 4 others like this.

3. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

China has made their goals crystal clear and they are not on a 4 year political timetable. Anyone who thinks they would ever live up to any deal made with the West has spent too much time in opium dens. With the Marxist people in our government we may already be doomed.

4. Burebista

Burebista "Democrats are garbage people"

We don't need to go to war with China to make them back off from attacking Taiwan.
    All we need to do is to slap economic sanctions on them and persuade all our Western allies to do the same.
    If the West stops buying their crap, their entire economy will turn to dust in a matter of weeks.

Glasgow, DNA, GlockPride and 10 others like this.
  5. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Might as well.

Sooner or later, we're going to have to fight it out with them. Might as well do it while Taiwan is still an ally, and we're the good guys in the situation, able to enlist help from Japan and Australia. Also, while their tensions with India are high.

Glasgow, DNA, GlockPride and 3 others like this.
  6. bdcochran

bdcochran

The world, and the nation states within it, are fragmented, with competing interests.

Whether a nation state is a Communist state or a western style economic state, there are competing interests in each.

If a leader of the PRC is unable to believe or get his followers to understand that aggression and greed will lead to war, there will be war.

Currently, the PRC has the forces and is aggressively claiming and pursuing economic domination of large portions of the uninhibited oceanic areas near China. It is not a wise policy.

With over 2 million Taiwanese currently working and providing economic advice within mainland China, invading Taiwan is not good economic sense. Attacking and conquering military forces in Taiwan will not avoid guerilla warfare by people who do not want to become Communists either.

Finally, becoming bellicose will only prompt the USA to relax controls on paid arms shipments to Taiwan.

Yes, there can become a war if more miscalculations are made by the PRC leadership. And, remember, Japan, at the bottom, is no friend of the PRC. Neither is Vietnam, the Philippines or any other Asian country like India that would realistically perceive that an invasion of Taiwan would be immediate threats to their own sovereignty. So, it is not a matter of the US drawing a red line.

7. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Well.....If islands can tip over and capsize, maybe the best solution is to tow Taiwan over to our side of the ocean. I'll bet the Taiwanese would go for that.....:dancing:

.....thanks for unwittingly supplying us with the solution, rep, Hank Johnson. :clown:

8. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Why would the UK go to war over Hong Kong? If anything, it was the imperial British that ****ed over China and forced them into that lease in the first place. Returning it was part of the deal.

My take on Taiwan is 'it depends.' If Taiwan asks for military aid -- and in all likelihood they probably would -- then I see it as a justifiable use of force to curb Chinese expansion. If Taiwan doesn't then, as much as it sucks, the US should butt out.

Lonestar 48, 'Ol Grandad and hogship like this.
  9. Bus007

Bus007

We have been supplying them with F16s and training since the 90s. My guess is we would help them.

Jade Falcon and hogship like this.
  10. Deltic

Deltic

We should have a carrier group or two protect the airports until we can evacuate all of our people. When we send the C-17s over there is no reason for them to go empty. You can haul a lot of ammo in a C-17. Meanwhile our subs could be having an unscheduled training event that involves using a lot of torpedoes. At the same time we can express our surprise at the remarkable effectiveness of the Taiwanese sub force. The Chinese navy can join the old Japanese navy at the bottom of the sea. I see no need to declare war or admit to anything.

Gauss Rifle likes this.
  11. BlueBayShepherd

BlueBayShepherd

You know real life doesn't work like that, right?

The Chinese would know that we did it, and they would declare war on us.

Also, Taiwan only has 2 modern submarines, both of which were built during the 1980s. Hardly enough to put the Chinese Navy at the bottom of the sea.

Jade Falcon and hogship like this.
  12. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I think their plan is Taiwan for now, then the Philippines. Then, probably Vietnam.

China slowly built their economic monopoly in the area since the 70's, now, they are ready for the picking.

India can be our ally here, if we decide to stop China's harvest.

13. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

Vietnam would be easier, they have a big land border with them and a warring history with Vietnam (Obviously Vietnam won ... then) The Philippines would be way different, and I think Taiwan is hard for them to do also. Still Taiwan has always been a thorn in the Communist's side. Depends on the USA election I suppose.

Longbow likes this.
  14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I say yes. I absolutely hate Communist China, and it would do me no end of happiness to see that country wiped off the face of the Earth. They are a blight upon humanity.

My only fear is that this would become a long, drawn-out conflict. We need to show them how superior our weaponry and technology is.

And preferably, we need to collapse the government and install a proper, free Democratic government that is peaceful with the West. And expose all of the atrocities that the Communist government has done to that country and their people. Bring Crimes Against Humanity charges against the leadership if you can.

But if it's war, then BRING IT. :50cal:

15. Deltic

Deltic

We could also do the Flying Tiger thing again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    NoJoy and Pandaz3 like this.
  16. Deltic

Deltic

The PLAN is trying to catch up with us but they are not there yet. We can probably spoof the heck out of them. I am not a bubble head and I may be wrong, but I think we could make them wonder which of their many enemies sank their ships. There are several navies in the area that would like to cut the PLAN down a notch. Some of them have pretty good subs. A rumor campaign could confuse the issues.

As for the Chinese declaring war I think they would only do that if they think they can win or if we made it really obvious that we were involved. If they could pretend we had no part in it they might want to limit their losses.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  17. kyjd75

kyjd75

When I saw the title of this thread I first assumed that we had a treaty obligation to defend Taiwan. But, after doing a little bit of reading, it turns out that is not necessarily so. So the topic is worthy of discussion. Under what circumstances, if any, do we actually as a country fully commit our military to a full-scale shooting war defense of Taiwan? Are there any, and if so, let's discuss what they might be. Short of the use of nuclear weapons, I have to think a shoot out with China would be nasty. Or would they step back after we bloody their nose? What do you think?

18. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

We have people on our subs and while they can keep their mouths closed for awhile ...

Deltic likes this.
  19. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    China needs to get over being butt hurt over Taiwan.............they have the mainland, and have done a pretty miserable job of running it for the past 70 years. The fixation over Taiwan only goes to prove their shortcomings. IF, they want to move into the modern world, they would move to normalize relations and recognize Taiwan.
    This is a chance to see just how rooted in their past, China is.......................and how little they have truly improved.

20. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Chinese are nothing but cave men in suits. They cannot compete in modern world politics or military actions. Their cave man brain sees what they want and they goo oook! me want! No rhyme or reason to it. They need an ass whoopin!

Jade Falcon and Longbow like this.