Should the law be changed?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RedTape, Dec 3, 2004.

1. RedTape

RedTape

2. ToBePD

ToBePD SPC - E4

I wouldn't feel all that safe if I knew an 18 year old could go to a local store and buy a handgun before school. The private party purchase atleast makes it a little more difficult to purchase a handgun.

3. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Being under 21 I would like to be able to purchase a handgun, but I know most 18-20 year olds are not as responsable as me and some of the other underage people here on GT. I think the law should stick to 21.

4. ToBePD

ToBePD SPC - E4

Then again I do know alot of adult who are not as responsible as I am.

5. cjp85

cjp85

No, I used to think they should change it. Im 19 but I think that if your parents trust you enough with a handgun then you should be able to do what you want with it as long as its legal. To those whose parents wont let them, take them to a range that rents and do what you can to convince them.

6. Les the Bear

Les the Bear

im 22..

was i responsible at 18....
    should i have been able to buy a gun at 18?, yes...

i have very many 22 year old friends whom if armed, i would not feel safe around.

i feel 'I' was as safe at 18, just as i was at 21....

Legal responsibility for my actions, MILITARY RESPONSIBILITY, and the right it drive a 2000 pound car 65mph(more dangerous then most guns) at 18 years old should merit for the right to carry a gun while working in a bad part of town.... or to go shooting legally with my 21 year old buddies.

sorry about the spelling,
    happy glocker

7. BBrossard

BBrossard

I think if one can enlist in the Armed Forces and die for the country, one ought to be able to buy a gun, too. I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18, as well.

8. Texas Boy

Texas Boy

This argument has been around forever. It doesnt work.

9. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

The army thing I have no comment on but if I remember right there is a medical reason to have the age at 21 for drinking. Something about having a greater ability to metabolize alcohol or something like that. I understand that people grow differently but I assume that at age 21 enough people have reached that point physically that they can handle a little booze.

I think the age limit should stay the same. I made it through the first 21 years without a pistol. I imagine everybody else can too.
    I do feel that I was responsible enough to own/carry at 18 but that is really neither here nor there.

10. Vitamin G

Vitamin G Got G?

I could drive at 16... Thats capable of taking out FAR more people, and I can get away faster than riding a gun...

11. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

since you legally can only purchase handguns from YOUR STATE. and if your state says that at 18 you can carry, then you should be able to purchase.

my parents hate guns but i can only get ammo through them or if i wanna buy a gun from a ffl.

there needs to be a exception to the gca '68 saying that if you have been issued a state handgun/weapons permit that you should be able to buy a handgun and be exmepted from the 21 age restriction.

if i can be drafted, vote, pay taxes, serve on a jury, CARRY A HANDGUN, then why am i being restricted from my constitutional right

12. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

Wow... I feel the exact same way, with the exception of the last sentence. I am 20 years old. I can vote for the President of my country. I can drive a car. I have no curfew. I am eligible to be drafted into the military, and potentially die for my freedoms...

Yet those freedoms do not include the right to drink a beer after work, or buy my own ammo on the way to the shooting range...

Also, in Indiana, I can have my CCW and carry at 18. How ridiculous is that? I can CARRY A FIREARM (handgun) IN PUBLIC, but I am legally not allowed to buy my own firearm or my own ammunition.

Yes, I think if I am old enough to vote for my President, or die for my country, that I am old enough to buy a handgun. So either change all the restrictions to 18, or change all the restrictions to 21... but it's stupid to have two ages for two different rights.

13. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

dont look at it in saying.... i could kill many more people with other things. because bringing up the killing in anyway just wont work.

but then saying how your a citizen of the united states and that the bill of rights applys to you and that there is not a age limit in the constitution and that by law you are considered an adult by the age of 18. how can the govenment infringe against your constitutional right.

and to those that tell me to wait. it may sound like just something small and others before me have had to do it. but its wrong according to the CONSTITUTION. i may not like what you have to say but i will defend your right to say it to the day i die. i would only hope you took the same approach towards me that i take for you.

the constitution isnt something we can compromise on, to compromise on the constitution is to compromise on your freedoms.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

14. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

18 for everything, except alcohol, which should be 16, and driving should be 17.

15. Les the Bear

Les the Bear

it all should be a single age......

17, 18, 19, 21, whatever..... but voting, guns, draft, drinking, legal hogwash.... make it all one age....

being 22 iv 'got it all now' but it still gets under my skin.

16. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

i can kinda understand to some extent with the alcohol. because of medical reasons. but dont give me medical reasons with a gun. thats a completely different reason. [​IMG]

17. Les the Bear

Les the Bear

so beer does not get a 22 year old drunk?

so you mean it will screw you up LESS when you 21 years old.....

load of crap....

im not a drinker.... nor was i.... its the point....

before your can be old and wise, you must first be young and dumb.

and on a side note i think cigerettes mess you up more then beer(pack a day)

sorry bout the spelling.

18. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

Yep.

But Uncle Sam gets lots of money from cigarette sales, so we don't want to limit that market unless we absolutely have to!

Advice:

I worked in a bar for 2 years. It was my first job when I was 15 years old.

If you are responsible with alcohol, there are no real adverse affects to consuming it. If you are responsible with tobacco, it will still eventually kill you.

19. ToBePD

ToBePD SPC - E4

You have everything but you can't rent a car until your 25, as I was told. Atleast most companys are like that.

20. Vitamin G

Vitamin G Got G?

As a drug and alcohol counselor, I think I read somewhere that the human body is not uneffected developmentally until the early 20's