Should the Feds enforce federal laws pertaining to MJ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

We have agreed on here that they have an obligation to enforce immigration laws. Why not those concerning marijuana?

I say forget about it. Decriminalize it.

Out West, treg, Duramaxsky and 6 others like this.
  2. refugeepj

refugeepj

the duty of the feds is to enforce federal law.
    if it is on the books, enforce until either the courts say no or congress amends/abolishes the law.
    i am very libertarian on this. don't feel it is the responsibility of LE to regulate what anyone does to self, as long as there is NO VICTIM.
    selective enforcement is what BHO and his administration did, creating a system where the rich and powerful elite had a different standard than the rest of us.
    if the law is there, enforce until the law is ruled unconstitutional or removed.

nursetim, pAZ Ron, cougar_ml and 28 others like this.

3. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Yes.

Ideally, if the law is unnecessary, stupid, etc - then it should be changed. But the agencies should not be determining which laws they will enforce and which they won't.

This isn't the same as giving certain crimes priority. I fully expect domestic terrorism, murder, etc - to get priority over weed. Each agency has to allocate its resources as best they can.

Obviously there is a grey area if a law states something obviously discriminatory, such as "only white people can ride in the front of the bus" or something stupid. But I hope we are past that.

ZX12R, jk_226, Fred Hansen and 10 others like this.
  4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

MJ has clearly had some very solid medicinal capability that has been underrated by Big Pharma.

Currently trying Hemp Oil and it's been great for the 50's+ aches and pains. I'll know soon how it does for cancer, prostate cancer anyway... that's my primary reason to try this out. Hemp has none of the "get me high" chemicals so I should not test 'dirty' either.

MJ grows here 'natively' now that it's been imported, so lets take advantage and build some more natural industries around the full range of use (rope, paper, medicinal) and open up some new industries while reducing the number of prisoners housed!

Kinda makes sense... Politicians won't go for it of course...

They would lose the Pharma and Cartel kick backs I would think.

Who's Next...

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I agree with the above.
    Either enforce the law or change it.

I do believe it has medicinal properties that can be exploited.

Easy to get marijuana products now that won’t get you high at all and from what I’ve heard really help medically.

crockett, Cubdriver, Pierre! and 5 others like this.
  6. cjsteineker

cjsteineker

I agree in principle with you guys, but it takes forever to remove a bad law.
    The federal government is going to drag its feet on this for decades.
    What do we do in the mean time, just pretend it’s ok for the government to bust people?
    I hope Sessions accidentally busts some kid with stage five cancer. That’s about the only thing that will force this to a head.

treg and varget like this.
  7. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified

I think the law criminalizing MJ is generally to appease pharmaceutical companies.
    MJ is a schedule I drug. Really? Come on, cocaine and methadone are schedule II!

But the LE's job is to enforce the laws. If the law sucks, rescind it; if it's good, why not enforce it?

The executive branch has the task of enforcing laws, the ones they like and the ones they don't.

BTW: I think the law sucks and should be revised.

janice6, Steel Head and varget like this.
  8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

What? Admit we lost the war on drugs? That isn't the way .fed works. They would rather double down and start a political war with the states.

As a non-combatant, I just look on with amusement. Kind of like a train wreck in slow motion.

9. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Yes - I'm with Trump and Sessions. Enforce the existing laws. However, I think both of these men are pushing enforcement to get Congress to lower the classification of weed to that of alcohol. Then states can do whatever they like. I think that, as is, Fed law trumps state law and the Fed law on the books says it's illegal. I can't imagine Trump gives a damned if someone smokes a joint or not.

nursetim, treg, Caver 60 and 3 others like this.
  10. faceplant

faceplant

Trying to change MJ laws on a national level is not going to happen. To many cowards who have used it in the past are sitting there with a drink in their hand worrying about votes. Doing it at the state level until enough states legalize it that it becomes inevitable is what seems to be working.
    Even our representatives from Colorado who support states rights on this would not vote for it if put to a vote in congress.

11. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Agreed.

Sniffler and janice6 like this.
  12. flyover

flyover

The law needs to be changed for medical use. I have never supported legalization for recreational use.

Industrial hemp needs to come into play as it also has many practical uses.

Caver 60, Detectorist and Dr. Bill like this.
  13. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I think the feds should enforce the law as it stands.

I also think MJ should be moved from Schedule 1 to Schedule II. as it does appear to have some legitimate medicinal use. But that would require Congress to change the law, and that is not likely to happen. Congress could also vote to decriminalize MJ completely. I don't think that will ever even come up for a vote.

So, yeah, the States permitting recreational use are basically gonna be screwed.

Caver 60 and janice6 like this.
  14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

All federal laws should either be enforced or removed from the books.

15. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Pharma and Alcohol industry’s certainly had the most to gain making weed illegal.

railfancwb, arkdweller22 and varget like this.
  16. A6Gator

A6Gator

We tried that "state's rights" thing before, when Lincoln was president. I recall it didn't end well for the states that were trying to take their own path.

Guess it's different now. If your a stoner or an illegal alien, life is good!

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

Where do the dealers in Colorado keep their money? I guess banks are out of the question do to Federal oversight...

railfancwb and Baba Louie like this.
  18. Schrag4

Schrag4

If it’s a bad law then enforcing it is the best (only?) way to get it removed.

19. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Yes. But the law needs to be tested. Timothy Leary managed to get the original Marijuana Tax Act shot down, now we need regulatory agency scheduling tested. The 'war on drugs' approach has failed.

treg and Old Buzzard 74 like this.
  20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

So we want federal laws for marijuana, but state laws for firearms?