close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

should the entire text of linked items be posted?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Gary W Trott, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

I notice a tendency of many members here that seems, to me at least, to waste a lot of bandwidth. When starting a thread about some news or other item the entire text of that item will be posted along with the link. Wouldn't it be better to just post; a brief synopsis of what the item is about, what the poster's opinion on it is, a link to the full story? I'd think it would make things much easier for Glock Talk to conserve valuable memory space and mean less scrolling through the thread for the reader. Stay safe, Gary

2. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

makes sense to me, Gary.

3. MoonMan

MoonMan CLM

Why are you worried about bandwidth and storage space? If Eric is happy, we should all be happy.

I personally like not having to click a link to read the story (and like a link also so that I can confirm that it is is real). If the story is very long, perhaps the poster could list a screen or two of the story and the link.

Just my opinion.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Gonna have to agree with MoonMan on this. Especially for those of us chained to older/slower computers and dial-up modems, the annoyance of having to click a link, wait for the page (and all it's associated multimedia ads) to load, read the story, and go back to GlockTalk to comment is quite a put-off.

Much better to have the story, or maybe just the pertinent section of it, right where the comments will be recorded. Also nice to have when the other site moves/deletes the story, and the link goes 404. Ran into that situation just recently, myself.

ChaChing, that's my three cents (adjusted for inflation).

5. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Dear DJ Niner (and MoonMan),

Those are very good points. Being on DSL service sometimes makes me forget what things used to be like :). I'd like to clarify also that I do think that the pertinent section(s) should be included. What annoys me is that many of these stories are extemely long, and one has to read quite aways down sometimes to find the pertinent section(s). When the story is fresh, and the link still active, any other parts of the original article which might pertain to the discussion will surely be brought in by posters who respond to the thread.

I'm sure you've noticed that some posters, and perhaps it's because they don't know how to edit very well, will leave the entire original post in their reply after having used the "quote" feature. All this can tend to change, at least in my opinion, interesting threads and topics into very boring and tedious ones. Stay safe, Gary

6. TJ in PA

TJ in PA Mistaken ID

Gary, Theres only one person I know that does that all the time especially in one particular section. I been surfing this site for about two years now and just became a member so I have seen this trend. I agree with you 100%

7. paulthelefty

paulthelefty

I would rather see the text and not the link, but that is just me, working off a 31K connection.........

Paul

8. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I can agree with not posting extremely long stories/sections/quotes. I've seen a few that the poster had to break into two parts to get past the max word limit for a single post. While the story was interesting, this was obviously excessive.

9. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Step out of the ice age folks, get DSL.

10. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Sorry, I have a fulfilling life outside the electronic world; a cost/benefit analysis says it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money, monthly, for the little time I use the 'puter.

Not that there's anything WRONG with spending your entire life online...;)