Should S&W Bring Back Some 59XX/40XX/45XX/10XX Models?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Operator_AF, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

I don’t disagree. Some may argue a 39XX would sell better than the others. I look at the 39XX series as a very viable carry gun for people in general, but specifically people that may have a more difficult time handling recoil from the sub 20oz single stack plastic pistols. If Smith could do what Beretta was able to do with their D hammer spring and bring the DA right to 8+/- lbs that could be a real viable option for some folks. Or, a 3953... great point you make!

pgg00 and mike from st pe like this.
  2. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

Frankly, with the technology Smith has developed for the EZ Shield trigger, putting that into a 3rd gen format metal framed gun might sell like crazy. They’d probably have to figure out how to delete the grip safety just because it would look totally goofy on a $900 3rd gen pattern smith auto.

mike from st pe likes this.

3. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

Small correction--The 410, 411, 910 and 915's all had Aluminum Frames, except possibly the "S" guns--Never owned one & I'm too lazy to look it up... :)

agtman likes this.
  4. C130640508

C130640508

I bought one of the first 6904s and when the salesman said watch this now,,,,,,, he decocked it and I said you're gonna do that over a live round,, he says yeah!!! I really did like that weapon. As for that ad you're seeing out of Atlanta,,,, you can't carry in the zoo which means you gotta walk around some mean ass streets unarmed!!

kahrcarrier likes this.
  5. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

I pulled the trigger on an insanely priced 5906 that is new-old stock. Put it on layaway so I wouldn’t lose the opportunity. Life with kids.

Anyways, does anyone know where I could find some different night sights? I’ve looked high and low and other than possibly a trijicon option I don’t see much, which is to be expected. I’d really like to put a heinie ledge type sight on the rear. I know Novak still manufactures their low mount carry sights for the 3rd gen series but from what I remember of my 4566 that rear sight can’t be used to charge the slide. (Can the safety selector be used to hook a belt or whatever and charge the slide, or does that risk damage?)

I intend to carry and use all my guns and not have safe queens. This gun will probably ride appendix if I like it enough and shoot it to my standards. I don’t care about the weight. Due to an injury I’m shooting one handed for the most part and the heft of that steel gun might actually benefit me.

How rust resistant are the steel in these guns? My sweat tends to rust guns. When I had my 4566 I only carried OWB with it so no real exposure like my guns get now.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Berto likes this.
  6. Mikegti

Mikegti

Most of the third generation Smiths are stainless steel like the 5906 and 4566, so they should hold up pretty well to rust and corrosion.

7. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Great guns. I owned several of them.
    But as others have said, it would be cost prohibitive. They had a ton of parts in 'em and were pretty complicated as opposed to today's Glock derivatives, which are much lighter and simpler.

8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

If they'd bring them back as a Single action only that could be carried cocked and locked I'd like to see it. Otherwise, no.

I had a nice Gen 2 model 39 and it was well made, accurate and reliable but I hated the whole DA/SA/Decocker mode of operation. It was the first 9mm I ever owned and I worked up a "subsonic" (never tried it with a suppressor) load for it using a cast 158 grain round nose from a Lyman mold loaded with Unique powder that was extremely accurate an would feed reliably.

I also experimented with "split" projectiles by putting a piece of paper in between the mold halves and loading the two halves in the case. When fired at a target at about ten feet , the two halves would print about an inch from each other, and exhibiting a certain degree of yaw but sometimes they would make single hole.

9. pgg00

pgg00

Trijicon was the only option I found when looking for my 4506

10. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

I wonder if factory magazines will come back in stock anytime soon. Anyone know anything about the 5900 series magazines made by United Defense? They look exactly like a factory S&W magazine to include the orange follower minus the S&W rollmark. Only other options I see are Pro Mag and Mec-Gar. I hear the Mec-Gars are top notch, as to be expected from that company.

11. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

I'm not sure they should bring them back but I always have my eye out on the used shelf.

My M-3953 is a terrific handgun.

12. captcurly

captcurly

During my time on the job I owned several Model 39 and 59. I also carried a 469 for four years before my Dept. went to Glock. I would love to see them re-produced and I would definitely buy. Regards to everyone at GT and please be careful out there.

13. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

If they would bring them back as higher end models, semi or custom I’d be interested. I bought a very nice 3906 a couple years ago that I really like. If I could pick a 1006 up on the level of a CZ Shadow 2 Orange I’d be all over it.

I’ve had enough service grade guns, now I’m more interested in stuff that’s not off the rack.

Operator_AF likes this.
  14. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

I always wanted a 3913----problem was when I had the cash, I could never find one and when I was broke, one would show up.

I'd buy one now if it were less than $1000.

15. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Always loved the styling of the 39xx LadySmth and also the 69xx guns. Glock has shown us how to simplify a pistol design and keep it reliable. S&W should take the Glock concept and run with it!

I would absolutely love striker fired, DAO gun with the looks of the 39xx Lady Smith or the 69xx.

16. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I was thinking in the $1500 range, either way won't be enough sales, and who seriously wants a heavy all steel vnine or forty with all the aluminum and polymer offerings? Because of lack of sales in the popular two calibers it wouldn't be profitable for Smith to reintroduce the 45&10.

vikingsoftpaw likes this.
  17. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

3913 was a great pistol.

The Shield is better.

NO

18. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

Who wouldnt want an all steel pistol? The gen3 guns are REAL guns.

19. S. Kelly

S. Kelly

No, because somehow, they'd screw it up.

20. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

With a very few exceptions, they weren’t all steel. Alloy frames, just like Sig & Beretta.