Should Public Schools Teach Kids How to Handle Guns?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Feb 20, 2013.

1. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Not categorically. I wouldn't mind seeing it as an option though. Ultimately, however, firearm handling is a parental responsibility. I don't like schools assuming the role of parents on any topic. This one is no different.

2. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Parental responsibility.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Absolutely parental responsibility.

Just like religion, sexual practices, good manners and ethical values.

And after completing such a curriculum, the student leaves a loaded mag in an oven which results in one or more rounds cooking off and hitting someone, who you're gonna sue?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

I can barely trust them with Math curriculum, certainly not going to have them teaching gun safety.

5. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

I'd be happier if they'd simply resist the temptation to demonize firearms and firearms owner. Do that, and I'll call it a success.

6. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

Absolutely not. I can only imagine how it would be handled. If it was anything like my physical education classes, they'd just herd 50 people into a range, give them all guns, and let them shoot themselves for 45 minutes.

7. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

It is a basic skill so it should be taught as it will reduce accidents. If parents don't like it then they can send in a signed letter to have their kids removed from that class.

8. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Make a requirement that instructors have to be NRA certified.

9. mrdinks

mrdinks

My school taught gun safety in the 9th grade, and yes we went to a range and shot.
    I don't see what the big deal is?
    I think it would be great, I know it was for me.

10. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Gun safety should be taught rather than demonizing firearms. One of our local high schools is starting a skeet shooting project with the local conservation district.

11. WarCry

WarCry

My kid learned when he was seven, so I'm not sure if he would learn anything more from a school-based program.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably make people mad, but not every parent WANTS their kid to learn about guns. The 2nd Amendment is about the RIGHT to firearms. It's not a REQUIREMENT.

This article says it would be up to the school to decide if they want to teach it. I'd suggest a step further - offer it as an extracurricular. My school system has a high school rifle team - and I bet a lot of parents would drop a load in their bloomers if they realized how many guns are in the basement of the Jr. High (indoor rifle range).

So, the question of "Should schools teach the kids", the answer is no. That's a parents job - and, yes, it is their absolute right to NOT teach them, also, as hard as that is for some people to swallow. But putting a program in place and OFFERING it, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

12. Hyksos

Hyksos

Well, my father is a bit older, and he has all sorts of mini trophies from archery, rifle , and skeet shooting from when he attended summer camp as a child. Granted, back in those days he was at a private sleep-away camp, but it was not uncommon for those types of activities to take place at a summer camp.

My point is that today, camps like that are much less prominent, and they don't really impact many people who live in urbanized areas. Today, municipalities have taken on some of those duties. They host weekend events at local parks, or coordinate summer sporting programs for all the children. Would I be opposed to a municipality or state implementing firearm/archery instruction as a publicly-funded intramural sport for children? No, I don't think I would.

Do I think that public school teachers in elementary/middle school should be charged with teaching children such things? Absolutely not. Gym teachers? Ehhh, maybe archery on a limited basis. You can't really train with guns on school property, now can you?

(Now getting to the actual article)

I don't think I'd be opposed to a high school having a rifle shooting team, or offering firearm-safety classes. I don't think it is the job of the social studies or math teacher to teach students about firearms, but if the school has a teacher hired solely for that purpose, and his class was run in accordance with applicable educational requirements to make the class accredited, then I think I would support it.

13. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I would be OK with this, but I would REALY LIKE THE ******* PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM TO STOP VILIFYING GUNS! :steamed:

14. JimBean

JimBean

An optional class with simulation guns would be safe.

15. nursetim

nursetim

While I agree in principle, the fact is parents these day teach responsibility avoidance.

I would support blanket organized firearms familarization that could be opted out of.

16. dling

dling

Parental responsibility.

17. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Troof.

18. Reckless_kelly

Reckless_kelly

I was taught safe firearm handling by my father, but it was an informal, "do this, don't do this" kind of thing. I signed up for JROTC at my high school, and I received the formal firearms safety training along with actual shooting instruction. Because of the training and instruction at school, I decided to join the rifle team and learned how to shoot very well. Even 20 years ago, I had some teachers look at me unfavorably simply because I was on the rifle team (lettered in it and we had our photos in the athletics display), our Colonel had a few words with the administration and the teachers with problems, it never was an apparent issue after that. My high school had a locked armory with over 50 target rifles, 15 handguns, and around 150 de-milled M14s for drill, we also had an indoor and outdoor range on the campus.

19. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Heck, when I was a teen, lots of high schools had rifle teams. One school near here still has a range in the basement, though sadly it hasn't been used in years.