Should Private Health Care Insurance be Similar to Car/Home Insurance?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by zackwatt, Mar 4, 2010.

1. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

If you make decisions that are poor for your health, you cost more, therefore you are more of a risk and you pay more.

This does create a gray area for people with pre-existing conditions...

2. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

I don't trust the governemnt to judge my decisions.

Hell, I don't even trust the glocktalkers to judge my decisions.

One man's meat is another man's meal.

ML

3. zackwatt

No one said anything about the government...

4. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I think it would create incentives that would motivate people to form healthy habits in order to get a discount on their insurance. But the way to politically approach it, is not to go looking for certain people who should pay more, but to offer certain people discounts. As future medical evidence mounts and becomes irrefutable, additional discounts could be added for people avoiding the unhealthy lifestyle choices.

When I think about all the money that Blue Cross had to waste on lung cancer that shouldn't have happened last year, and the fact that I DO NOT SMOKE, I don't think it's fair that I can't get a discount for being a non-smoker.

With all the various ways they have to drug test people these days, surely they could create a test you can volunteer for, that would prove you don't smoke and you deserve the non-smoking discount. Anyone who does not want to take this voluntary test, would not get the discount - simple as that. With weight problems of course, we already have such a test. You just jump on a scale - and that test is already being forced on us anyway. I've never tried to tell a doctor that I don't want him to know how much I weigh, but I'm sure it wouldn't go over well.

"Non smoking" would be the most obvious and most politically acceptable first thing to offer a discount for IMO, because I think we've reached the point were even the smokers themselves would have to admit that smoking increases cost in the system for us all.

EDIT:

None of this needs to have anything to do with the government. Just let the insurance companies offer discounts according to their own assessment of what things they'd like to offer discounts for. I think there'd be a good outcome that would benefit everyone all around the table. As it stands now, I'm not sure it's even legal for insurance companies to do this because the ACLU would probably sue on behalf of the smokers.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  5. zackwatt

Voluntary tests for discounts are a great idea.