Should my wife shoot bullseye?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by ithaca_deerslayer, May 1, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My wife shoots pretty good, but usually not this good. She's been working on IDPA, but today we went indoors, just the two of us for quiet time at the 50 ft range. She with her XD9, me with 3 22's in a 63, a 2206, and a 2206 red dot.

Her groups are all about 4" or 5" bouncing around the bullseye, with the first 3 guns. Pretty normal for her at this distance, but she's been trying, struggling, to get even better. Then for the heck of it she tried my 2206 with a red dot. First time she has shot it in about 10 years. It has a stiff trigger and is top heavy, but I did some bullseye with it years ago.

The left target was her first 10 shots with it. Offhand, 2 handed. We walked up to retrieve the target, and saw the 5 shot cloverleaf hole in the mix! The right target is her next 10, a 1 7/8" group centered in the bull. Then we had to hurry and leave to get somewheres.

With that right target, I'm thinking she can shoot as well as me now! But she must have been having trouble with open sights all this time. Maybe vision, or technique, or some problem. A red dot doesn't improve my shooting much at all, but it knocked her group size in half!

That cloverleaf has me scared. If she can do that again without the flyers from a trigger she wasn't used to. If she can shoot that right target again, but do it 1 handed. We've got to buy a better gun, like a 22/45. With a red dot, which she seems to need, I wonder if she'll be competitive at club level. Wonder if she can be better than me. Of course I want her to be better than me :)

So long story short, do you see potential in those two groups? We need a gun with a better trigger for this :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

She's been practicing when your not home! Nice shooting.

3. frankmako

frankmako

i would start. good reason to buy more guns and ammo.

4. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I see a S&W 41 in your future.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

She laughed out loud when she read that :rofl:

6. ca survivor

ca survivor

get her a nice 1911

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  7. Breadman03

Breadman03

You'd better be faithful to that lady.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

She's almost there.

Her target on left, 88 out of 100.
    My target on right, 95 out of 100.

Both one-handed, 50 feet, 2206 with red dot, 10 shots. The black bull is about 3" dia.

I think she is ready for some club level competition. She'll only get better, but I'm not gonna get better. A nice gun with a good trigger will help us both. But she's new at this type of shooting, so I think she's got lots of room to learn and perfect her shots still.

I'd like to see her purchase a new gun right now. Something she can grow into. But she's a bit tighter with the household money than I am.

I know there are better shooters out there, usually one or two at every club. But she can give it a go, with the right gun and some experience with it :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Here's a pic of the 2206 in question. Time for a better setup :)

[​IMG]