Should my new G17 rattle?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Redbike, Oct 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Redbike

Redbike

I previously owned a G17 which I purchased new. On impulse, I traded it for a Beretta 92 Vertec, which I immediately regretted before I even received the Vertec. It isn't that the Vertec is a bad gun, I just liked the G17. Regardless, I just picked up a new G17, one of the Lipsey grey ones. I noticed this gun rattles when I shake it. i do not recall my prior one doing that. The rattle is more pronounced when shaking the gun parallel to the slide, less pronounced when shaking it side to side. It is worse when the slide has not been racked, Is this normal?

Also, I just noticed this gun has a small crack at the bottom of the mag well. I bought it through Tombstone Tactical. Do I return it to them or to Glock?

2. mtstream

mtstream

dont know about the crack but the rattle is a good thing. It's the firing pin moving freely in the channel. One of the field inspections is to hold the trigger to the rear and shake the gun back and forth, listening for the rattle to ensure the pin is moving freely.

LASTRESORT20 likes this.

3. Redbike

Redbike

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

I am most upset I need to send this gun back as the grey is a very handsome color. I was afraid from watching YouTube vids the color would be too light. To the contrary, it is a medium-dark grey. Hope the color is consistent across this line.

I emailed Tombstone Tactical to inform them of the problem and asked them how to proceed to get an exchange.

4. Redbike

Redbike

Wow, Tombstone Tactical replied immediately:
    Did you happen to take possession of the firearm?Meaning did you do a 4473 and take it home with you?If you did, yes you will have to take with Glock on getting that warrantiedIf not, we can do a swap out of it.Let me know if you have any questions Thank you

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  5. mtstream

mtstream

Got a pic of the crack?

6. Redbike

Redbike

Just a moment.

7. Redbike

Redbike

Attached Files:

8. Redbike

Redbike

I noticed the crack as I was feeling that side of the mag well as the polymer looked thing there. I noticed that side of the mag well flexed some, whereas the other side did not.

Unfortunately, the link on the Glock website to contact them re. the warranty is broken.

Grrrrrrr....Now I can't access the Glock website at all. That Vertec sure is looking better about now, and my Hi Power.

9. oldman11

oldman11

Does it still rattle when it is loaded and chambered?

10. Redbike

Redbike

Haven't loaded it yet. Just picked it up over the lunch hour, didn't have time to sit and handle it until the past hour.

11. mtstream

mtstream

Don't try to contact Glock via e-mail they are old school if you want to reach them pick up the phone and call, they'll actually pick up the phone and answer. E-mails take about a month. Most likely you'll need to e-mail the photo to them but you'll be able to send it directly to whomever is helping you. Glock's US # 770-432-1202

12. Redbike

Redbike

Thanks for the info. I will be quite upset if they don't cover the cost of shipping and return, including the fee to my FFL for receiving the gun back.

13. Redbike

Redbike

So far, so good. I called Glock, informed them of the problem. They emailed me a return shipping label and I sent the gun to them today.

14. mtstream

mtstream

Good to hear, Glock has great customer service as long as you don't use e-mail :supergrin:

15. Redbike

Redbike

Update: Glock left me a voice mail. Said it is not a crack in the mag well, but a "ding," possibly from inserting a mag into the mag well. That doesn't make sense to me. I hardly handled the gun. Besides, the gun should get a "ding" from inserting a mag. Think about how some slap those mags in.

Caller said they are going to try to repair it "the best they can" and ship it back as they do not have any more of the grey frames.

I'm not sure I'm happy with this answer. The reason for the ding makes no sense, and I don't know about accepting such a repair on a brand new gun. As I said before, the side of the mag well with the ding seemed flimsy. Didn't have a chance to call Glock back to discuss this. Hope to do so tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what I should request? Any thoughts on what I should expect from Glock?

16. mtstream

mtstream

Did it not go all the way through the frame? Was it more like a cut that didn't go all the way through vs a crack that broke through the structure? I have seen cuts before, they can happen when something sharp cuts across the polymer just like scratches can happen to steel. They typically don't compromise the pistol in any way but appearance.
    The problem for you is it sucks that your new gun already has a blemish and there's no way to determine where it actually happened (likely after it left the factory).

You could always ask for it to be replaced with a Black frame. They're telling the truth about it being a limited run, if I remember correctly, they were made specifically for Lipseys so Glock may have only made what was ordered. Are you planing to use and carry it? If so, I personally would keep it because more stuff will happen to it as you use/clean/carry it.

17. Redbike

Redbike

18. Redbike

Redbike

What I am most concerned about is the structural integrity of the gun. The side of the mag where that had the "ding" was clearly flexing much more than the other side, which had no flex at all. Will see how the fix works and ask them about my options if I am not satisfied with the result.

19. Redbike

Redbike

Got the gun back from Glock. Seems they filled in the deformed area of the mag well, but the imperfection in the area can still be seen. Glock left me a return voice message that I should call them if I wanted to discuss just exchanging this frame for a standard black one since they don't have any of the grey. I will just live with what I have and hope the area isn't weakened to the point it cracks and spreads. I don't run my guns that hard so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Glock's customer service was excellent. Phone calls were returned quickly. Turn around time on the work was fast. Give's me peace of mind in terms of being willing to buy another glock. 19 or 26 is probably next.