Glock Talk banner

Should Looters Be Shot On Sight?

2790 Views 44 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  DWARREN123
In September 1989, Hurricane Hugo, a Category 4 storm, made landfall in South Carolina with wind gusts clocked as high as 120 mph. The storm left a wake of destruction along the state’s beachfront and to the so-called Low Country areas, leaving hundreds of thousands without power, and either completely destroying or inflicting major damage to more than 20,000 single family homes throughout the state.

As part of preparing for the storm, then-Gov. Carroll Campbell Jr. issued a ‘shoot-on-sight’ order to the South Carolina National Guard.

A few days after the storm had passed, Mary T. Schmich, a reporter for the Chicago Tribune, wrote about the devastation to the area and the heart wrenching scene, as “7,000 residents of the Isle of Palms and neighboring Sullivans Island were unable to return to their houses,” as the connecting bridge from the mainland was badly damaged, and too dangerous to cross.

Schmich wrote:

…they were only vaguely consoled by the news that martial law had been declared on the island to deter looters.

The National Guard are firing shots in front of boats to keep them from docking…And they`re shooting at looters.​

Well, guess what?

There was little to no looting in the aftermath of the almost Biblical hurricane, though structures were left opened with riches for the taking.

The ‘shoot-on-sight’ order worked.

Now, fast forward 25 years to Ferguson, MO, and a few months later to Baltimore, MD…[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]There's more in the article. Plus, click on the link to Schmich's original piece.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,970 Posts
Yes. 9mm to the head might change their minds (pun intended) about their shopping habits.

Reactions: chiefjack

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Having been in New Orleans when Katrina hit and the 3 weeks after and having seen rampant looting (TV sets, clothes, whiskey - not food, not water, etc., I can certainly see why we called 12 gauge shotguns "Looter Shooters" but I'd vote "no" on a shoot on sight policy.

Way too many crazies out there who would be shooting anything that moved. I'm not talking about cops or NG, I'm talking citizens.

We had moms and pops shooting at us in the rescue boats.

Defend yourself? Sure, fire at will and reload and shoot some more.

Shooting someone over a looted TV set (favorite item post-Katrina), I don't see it as a good thing.

· Registered
45,276 Posts
Shooting someone while you are home and they are breaking and entering, is reasonable. No matter the weather.

I do not advocate going outside and hunting human beings.

Reactions: LINKS2K

· Registered
2,453 Posts
Yes. 9mm to the head might change their minds (pun intended) about their shopping habits.
It would also blow their mind!!!!

Reactions: G-34

· Registered
3,939 Posts
Yes and I think it would be a one time event. I do believe that it would stop any further rioting/looting problems. This may seem harsh but sometimes being harsh is the only way. We know this will never happen because politicians do have the nads it would take to order it.

· Registered
9,061 Posts
I think there is a difference between shooting from outside the building and shooting from inside. If I am in my business and the windows come crashing in, then hoards of criminals come rushing at me I believe I would have every right to defend myself. It would only take a few bloody bodies right inside my business to discourage the rest.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts