Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TEXAS COWBOY
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about taking the Armorer Class. Other than the Glock knowledge and the Pistol Purchase advantage, what other benefits would taking this class afford me. I'm not saying that those two benefits aren't worth the effort and money. However, I was just curious if anyone else had received advantages like job opportunities, affiliations, etc, that I haven't seen discussed on here. Thank you all in advance for your wisdom and input. I get so much help from my fellow GT members and I appreciate it more than I can tell you.

Keep on Glockin'

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I took the class so I could learn the right way to clean and take my glock down to the last spring. I.m glad I did. Its worth it for a guy like me.

·
Deo Vindice
1,208 Posts
It's not anything that's going to likely lead to any side work for you if that's what you're thinking. A friend of mine is a certified Glock Armorer but he's never made a dime off of that fact.

And my local gun dealer has no certification, but knows Glocks inside and out and just makes money by selling them....:tongueout:

It's basically on it's own merits. There's a lot of advantage to being able to work on your own guns. Very valuable skill and for that alone it's worth it to take the class in my opinion. That or go the self-taught route. If you've got a basic understanding of how firearms work, sometimes self-taught isn't too bad. Lots of videos and books out there. Worked for me with 1911's anyway.

Gunsmiths can get pricey for some pretty basic jobs, but if you've got the skills, self-taught or otherwise it's going to save you money in the long run if you're someone who likes to tinker with their firearms like me.

·
Registered
30,182 Posts
Well, it is informative.

It also helps dispel much of the dismaying internet misinformation about how Glock pistols should be cleaned, lubricated, maintained and supported in order to experience optimal functioning.

You can also buy parts directly from Glock for half (or less) of what it costs to buy them elsewhere.

Make a living at it? Very doubtful.

Connections? Possibly. You get to meet folks from LE/Gov agencies and gun stores (and now maybe GSSF members).

You do get the chance to listen to other folks who are either recertifying as armorers, or taking the class for the first time, and listen to the actual problems they've been experiencing (first hand).

While it's a relatively simple armorer class, as such things go, it's still possible to have problems. I remember in my last class where someone failed the written test and had to remain after the class to "remediate".

·
Shellback
5,833 Posts
While it's a relatively simple armorer class, as such things go, it's still possible to have problems. I remember in my last class where someone failed the written test and had to remain after the class to "remediate".
In my class, we had an older guy travel from 6-7 hours for the class.. He didn't know a thing about guns, nor Glocks, and didn't own a gun. He interuppted the instructor and class every couple minutes asking off the wall questions. It was way too odd, and during the first break the instructor sent him home with a full refund. It was plain crazy. :dunno:

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
I have not taken it, and will not, either. Why? Because I got a copy of the Armorers manual and read it from beginning to end and it was not that difficult to comprehend. Glocks are very simple and have the least parts of most guns. I also went to youtube and got some great videos on this very topic. Those videos were excellent and complemented the manual. Several people have videos, but you'll know which ones are best. I have met a few persons who took the course and they said that they learnt more from those youtube videos....before even going to the armorers class. Anyway, its your decision and you have to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I say take the class. Its well worth it, and you learn alot. You may be able to learn alot with youtube and stolen copys of armorers manuals, but I think that its still not as good as taking the class. I had Hodges for an instructor, and he was awsome!! Really good at teaching what ever part does and why, and showing how they all work together.

·
Registered
30,182 Posts
In my class, we had an older guy travel from 6-7 hours for the class.. He didn't know a thing about guns, nor Glocks, and didn't own a gun. He interuppted the instructor and class every couple minutes asking off the wall questions. It was way too odd, and during the first break the instructor sent him home with a full refund. It was plain crazy. :dunno:
Yeah, it's not uncommon to have relatively inexperienced folks slip into armorer classes. Over the course of having attended more than a Baker's Dozen of armorer classes over the years, I've seen where some folks who were attending hadn't even chosen to attend, but had been told to attend by agencies. Not everyone who attends an armorer class may necessarily be interested in being there, or have an interest in firearms beyond what's required for their job. ;)

As for the benefit of attending a class versus being "self-taught"?

A benefit of the armorer class is that you not only have the manual open beside you, but you have the advantage of an instructor being present. The instructor can not only properly demonstrate things, but can walk around the class and observe students, correcting things as needed. Students are often unaware of things they're doing wrong, too, even after looking at the manual and having watched the instructor demonstrate a task.

It's not uncommon to watch students do lots of things incorrectly during the class (as with any armorer class), all while thinking they're doing fine, too. I've seen any number of problems created for themselves by students ... usually when performing a task where the instructor had specifically warned against making a certain type of mistake and had demonstrated how to avoid making it. :whistling:

In the last Glock class I attended we were given info to allow us to order the class computer presentation on disc, too.

It's also beneficial to be a certified armorer when it comes to being able to directly contact the regional rep and get support and assistance.

The class is still relatively inexpensive when it comes to the course cost, although you also have to factor in the cost of travel, perhaps a motel or a meal or two if traveling from some distance, and then taking time off from work.

Just depends.

It's less expensive than attending the Sig Sauer Pistol armorer class (which was also open to non-LE/Gov/Mil/Sec last time I checked).

Re-certification is another issue, and there are benefits to it, as well. Keeping current on design and manufacturing changes periodically is often helpful.

Before I ever attended my first Glock armorer class I was already an armorer with other classes under my belt, and I'd closely read a copy of a '92 armorer manual. It helped me have a relatively easy time of it during the class, but I still learned quite a bit from the instructor & the rep which wasn't in the manual.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Tuf8seconds,
I'd take the class, you will enjoy it, & be taught the right way to do things. Not only will they teach you the right way, the'll teach you why. I think you'll enjoy the class even for yourself.
Frank

·
The Snowflakes have invaded GT
4,318 Posts
.... However, I was just curious if anyone else had received advantages like job opportunities, affiliations, etc, that I haven't seen discussed on here....
Whispering - I shouldn'y say anything but I feel you can be trusted. The CIA recuits at the AC. They are always in need of firearms experts. They send a team of agents, undercover of course. If you make 100% on the exam and demonstate in class that you have a better than average ability you will be contacted at a later time.
Agents start somewhere between $80K and $120 depending on experience.
Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Liter of Cola
192 Posts
Seems like the only questions asked during my class were all about od glocks. Kind of annoying but funny. One guy even went to the empty seats during the first break and took all the amorers manuals, Glock tools and orange cover plates out to his car.:faint: When the instructor realized it he called the whole class out and the guy still didn't fess up... at first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts