close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I let people know that I carry...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jjcool, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jjcool

jjcool

I'm signed up for my CC class next month and will hopefully be carrying soon. My first instinct is to not let anyone know that I carry except for my wife. Mainly because I remember what I used to think of people that carry and I guess I'm more concerned about people thinking I'm some sort of weirdo for carrying a gun. Also, it would seem the more you publicize it the more you become a target.

My first question is how many people here make it general knowledge that they carry?

My second question is, if I intend on keeping it a secret how to I go about my daily activities which would require me to sometimes leave my gun locked in my car without letting people that ride with me know that I carry? Is that even possible or should I just assume that if someone is close enough with me to be riding in my car it ought to be ok to let them know that I carry. My work doesn't allow CC and I frequently go to places when traveling that serve alcoholic drinks. I also go to the bank and post office pretty regularly. So that being said, how would I go about removing my gun and leaving it in the vehicle without everyone around me knowing?

For example, I went to an office two weeks ago. I traveled three hours in the car to Charlotte, NC. when I got there the sign on the door said no concealed weapons. My boss was with me. Let's assume I already had my permit and was carrying that day. Would I just excuse myself back to the car to lock it away or would I just have not carried that day knowing that was a possibility?

I don't mean to pose so many questions, but I'd like to get some feedback from people that do this on a regular basis and see what the general consensus is on whether you should let other people know that you carry.

2. mesteve2

mesteve2

3. KDH3

KDH3 Go Gators!

+1 no!! No!!

4. hi480volts

hi480volts

I don't tell anyone, not even my wife most of the time. She just assumes I have it.

5. jjcool

jjcool

so I assume this is an obvious answer that I'm not aware of. Forgive my ignorance.

You never let anyone know that you carry?!?

6. A6Gator

A6Gator

Concealed means concealed.

7. smitch3806

smitch3806

NO, somehow hide it!!!:shame:

8. A6Gator

A6Gator

Concealed means concealed. You might want to work out a plan w/your Frau/significant other should the gravest extreme happen, but that's about it, unless you get stopped by LE.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Somewhere between the guys who open carry down at the mall and scare the soccer moms and the guys who think they're such a ninja-fighting secret agent even their wives can't know they pack a gun, are the actual shooters, who really fire their guns and have been doing so for more than a year. The actual shooters don't think carrying a gun is any bigger secret than carrying a cell phone.

10. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I agree, NO, however if you are carrying during work hours you need to plan ahead. If you are carrying while working however, and it impacts your job, you need to decide if its a conversation you want to have with your boss. I'm not a lawyer, but you MAY put the business you work for at risk when carrying if an incident occured.

My work does not allow CCW, even in the parking garage.

11. Ersatz

Ersatz

Don't talk about it. If you absolutely must disarm in front of someone, do it slowly and carefully. If they say anything, inform them that you have a permit and don't like to talk about it because it makes some people nervous. I would also ask them politely to not mention it to anyone else for the same reason.

12. jjcool

jjcool

that was my other question. If I was approached by LE then I have to tell them, and then everyone around me would know. So it seems even more tricky to keep it a secret.

13. Olivers_AR

Olivers_AR

Operational Security (OPSEC), if they don't have a need to know, don't tell them. What if your work institutes a no weapons policy and your boss knows that you carry, puts him in a tough spot.

14. mastrbloata

mastrbloata

No.......I wouldn't tell anyone I had a license to carry, including "friends" that I had one, even if I did.

15. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

I have to tell people from time to time due to Alaska law and its never a big deal.

16. KujoGlock19

KujoGlock19

My family members know I carry, but I have yet to have valid motivation to tell anyone else...

17. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out already.

Not sure why one would even have to ask.

Only people that know is my immediate family and the folks here at GT.

:wavey:

18. jjcool

jjcool

I'm just curious what other people do. I'm new to this and would like insight from wiser, more experienced people. Like I mentioned in the OP, I once thought that people that carried weapons were weirdos, so obviously my POV can change. If I've got it figure out differently than the other people that already carry then I might like it to change.

19. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

CC=concealed

20. BK63

BK63

Always carry, never tell.