Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my very first gun, a Glock 42, it arrives Thursday!!!
I see that the "RockYourGlock" website offers Hard Chrome Plating service for the barrel for $35. Should I do this? I'm thinking that the Chrome plating will protect the barrel from wear when the slide moves over the top of the barrel.

(I got the G 42 so that I can get proficient with it, and then teach my wife, she has very small hands).

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Stay away from all modifications except metal night sights for your pistol, if it has serious purpose as a weapon. If is a range toy ONLY, it doesn't really matter...although the "hard chrome" mod degrades pistol function and appearance. It will flake after application to a metal surface that has been nitrocarburized, as your G42's barrel surface has been.

Almost all aftermarket "enhancements" have only one primary reason for existence...to separate a fool from his money. :)

Welcome to Glock Talk!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've seen Glocks with over 30000 rounds and the barrel is just fine.
How much shooting are you planning on doing with that G42?
I guarantee the cost of Ammo will be much more than a new barrel IF you wear the surface out .

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The nitride treatment of the slide and barrel are better than hard chrome. It makes the steel just as hard, and leaves it dark in appearance.

The treatment Glock puts on its pistols is up to the task, and after-market parts, finishes, etc., are just not necessary.
+1. Glock's steel approaches near diamond hardness superficially. In addition, the surface of the barrels on all my Glocks are as smooth as silk, thanks to the nitriding treatment. Nitriding produces added lubricity to the surface of steels after treatment, and even more so with regular light applications of lube.

Hard chroming a Glock would probably be the last modification I would ever have done. But that's just my opinion. :).

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
The black finish may be rubbed a little over time. That is about as serious a problem as the tread on your tires losing the shiny black color.

Buy ammo and training instead.

·
NRA Life Member
65,486 Posts
I sometimes think people sign up here and ask these questions so they and their friends can make fun of the "OMG, it has to be hard chromed with a Zev wind meter and barometer installed or it's worthless" answers.

At least this guy has gotten the right answer, so far.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Steve, this is your very first handgun. You need shooting lessons to get the fundamentals down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Hard chrome is for STI competition guns, not Glocks. Put on better sights and find a local USPSA Grand Master to take lessons from.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Should I do this?
Do it if you like the bling factor. But it won't help the gun's function or durability.

You may find that most aftermarket changes to a Glock's internal organs will either not improve things or will make things worse. Adding aftermarket sights and Talon grips are one thing - because they don't alter the way the gun cycles - so its hard to argue against those. But doing a liver transplant on a Glock can mess things up. Chroming the barrel will probably not adversely affect anything, but one never knows. Plus, with the G42's reputation of being a little finicky, if the gun runs 100% I would just leave it alone. That's just me, but my testosterone is not what it used to be so I no longer have the compulsion to [bleep] with a new gun like a once did. I'm just satisfied if it cycles 100%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve, this is your very first handgun. You need shooting lessons to get the fundamentals down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Hard chrome is for STI competition guns, not Glocks. Put on better sights and find a local USPSA Grand Master to take lessons from.
Yes, Lessons, Absolutely!! That will be money well spent.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I see that the "RockYourGlock" website offers Hard Chrome Plating service for the barrel for $35. Should I do this? I'm thinking that the Chrome plating will protect the barrel from wear when the slide moves over the top of the barrel.

(I got the G 42 so that I can get proficient with it, and then teach my wife, she has very small hands).

No, Ammo, holster, maybe upgrade sights at the most. I would stay away from any other "upgrades" I've wasted so much money on unecessary nonsense I could have purchased more guns instead.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts