close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I Give Up On My Glock 22?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BlindBoyJoe, Jul 20, 2002.

1. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

I posted this message last week and didn't seem to get any helpful responses, so here it goes again. I have a glock 22 that is about 7 months old and I love it. I have never had a problem with it until last Sunday. I went the range and noticed that once and a while my last round wouldn't feed into the chamber. The slide would lock back and the last round would be sitting there looking at me still in the magazine. I have 5 magazines that I am rotating pretty often. FWIW I do put a little oil on the chamber ramp. Do you think that my mag springs are bad? Recoil spring is bad? Am I limp wristing (never had problem before). Any info is appreciated!!
    P.S. I know that I am not hitting the slide lock.

;b

2. dwestfall

dwestfall Millennium Member

3. Guest

From your post, I assume that this is happening with all 5 of your mags, instead of just 1 of them. Try cleaning your mags and stretching the springs out just a bit. See if that helps. If so, you should probably replace your mag springs. If not, then look at replacing the recoil spring.

After that, I'm stumped.

4. dwestfall

dwestfall Millennium Member

5. Chedderboy

Chedderboy

It happens to me once in a while with my SW 5906 TSW. Just try to keep your weak hand on frame, with fingers running forward.

6. G-22er

G-22er

BBJoe,

As some others have asked, is this happening with all 5 of your mags?
    If so, then the only thing I can think of is THE recoil spring. Is there any way you can get your hands on another G22 and try your mags in that one? From a friend or maybe just rent one and see.

If it's only happening with one or two mags, then I'd suggest replacing the mag springs & followers. You've had the pistol for 7 months. About how many rounds have you fed through it? Maybe on the safe side just replace the recoil spring anyway. Hope you can fix the problem. Keep us posted.

7. Terminator

Terminator

It has to be something with the mags. Id keep the 22 bro, dont even think it.

8. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

Have the gun, and the magazines, checked out by a certified Glock armorer.

9. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

It sounds as if it is common among glocks. I was talking to a guy at the local gun store who said it happened to him as well. He rented a glock 23 at a gun range and complained of the same problem. The last round would not feed, the slide would lock open with the last round still in the magazine. What gives? For the record it only happened with one magazine because that was the only magazine that I had with me. I did a recoil sping test and it seems to be OK. I am thinking about putting wolff mag springs in all my magazines. The springs in the magazines almost seem to week compared to my sig magazines. Thanks for all the responses. Glock Talk has really been a great resource for me. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
    :) +;c =;g

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The only way for the slide to lock open with a round still in the magazine is for the operator to hit the slide stop lever. It's a common operator problem. If you've removed the slide stop lever, you may have damaged the spring when putting it back in incorrectly, but that would effect more than just the last round.

I suggest you load up a magazine and fire all rounds S L O W L Y, watching your thumbs while shooting downrange.

11. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

My slide was not locking up with the last round still in the magazine. What was happening was the round was getting pinched between the feed ramp and the slide causing the slide to stay open. It looked as if the flat end on the bullet (.40) just didn't want to lead the bullet into the chamber. I know this because it happened to me again today. Do you think that it is my magazine spring? The guy at the range told me that glocks have weak mag springs and that he has replaced all of his mag springs with wolff springs. Maybe this can cast some light on the issue. Any more input is appreciated!!

12. G-22er

G-22er

BBJoe,

It's sounding more & more like a mag spring problem. I'm assuming you have 10-rounders? Doesn't matter...Try loading the mag with one less round and see if the last one still gets jammed between the feed ramp and the slide. How about all of your other mags? Are they still functioning ok?

13. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

I usually shoot American Eagle ammo. I have also shot Blazer, Fiocchi, and Winchester out of it. Now that you mentioned it, it seems to olny happen with the American Eagle ammo (that might not be a fair assesment since I shoot American Eagle 90%of the time). I should of brought ohter magazines today with me to the range but didn't think of it. I wanted to see if it would still happen with the same magazine even after stretching the spring and making sure that the feed ramp was dry. I have also never droped that magazine.

14. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Not a lot to add to this thread but...I recently purchased a GLOCK 27 and tried to load a .40 Golden Saber into the chamber by loading 1 round into the magazine and releasing the slide. out of six attempts with both magazines it worked correctly once. I am attributing this to the GS ammo's wide mouth hanging up on the bottom of the feed ramp.

This might be your problem but I would be surprised as the ball ammo usually works great. Just big mouth hollowpoints seem to affect the .40 this way.

15. REVIN KEVIN

REVIN KEVIN Pit Boss

SELL IT RIGHT NOW!!! DO NOT WAIT!!!

16. REVIN KEVIN

REVIN KEVIN Pit Boss

SELL IT RIGHT NOW!!! DO NOT WAIT!!!

17. rstand

rstand Millennium Member

I had this problem, I changd the mag springs with wolff +10 mag springs. I also bent the top coil to put extra pressure at the frt. of the follower. No problems yet.
    The extra power springs makes loading the mags tough, but worth it.;g

18. jeremy54b

jeremy54b Merely Here...

1. Stop oiling that spot, it doesn't fit one of the 6 drops Glock says to lube.

2. Check your mags.

3. Check your ammo, look for different rounds, change boxes completely and see if problem persists.

4. Pay attention to your grip, sometimes when my shooters count rounds, they unintentionally hit the slide stop in anticipation of the last round...don't ask me why, it just happens.

If it keeps happening, I would take your pistol to a Glock armorer.

Jeremy

19. russelldehart

russelldehart El Tamalon

BlindBoy,

I had a similar problem with my Sigarms Mauser M2 using UMC L40SW3. It is the only ammo that gives me trouble and it does it consistently. I guess some guns have trouble with a particular cartrige.

Russell

20. Ramboz

Ramboz

I do not think it is the mag spring...because for the mag to lock the slide lock there CANNOT be a round in the mag... Im positive it is the spring on the slide lock lever....I had that problem ...but it would lock back with 2 or 3 rounds in mag...I replaced slide lock and spring .....no more lock backs:cool: