close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I Give Up On My Glock 22???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BlindBoyJoe, Jul 20, 2002.

1. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

I posted this message last week and didn't seem to get any helpful responses, so here it goes again. I have a glock 22 that is about 7 months old and I love it. I have never had a problem with it until last Sunday. I went the range and noticed that once and a while my last round wouldn't feed into the chamber. The slide would lock back and the last round would be sitting there looking at me still in the magazine. I have 5 magazines that I am rotating pretty often. FWIW I do put a little oil on the chamber ramp. Do you think that my mag springs are bad? Recoil spring is bad? Am I limp wristing (never had problem before). Any info is appreciated!!
    P.S. I know that I am not hitting the slide lock.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well, if you're absolutely sure you're not touchimg the slide lock, check your magazines. Does it happen with only one magazine or all of them? Have you made any changes in your grip? And I know you're not hitting the slide lock but that is the number one cause of slide locking open at inappropriate times. The oil will not help anything except collecting debris.

3. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

It sounds as if it is common among glocks. I was talking to a guy at the local gun store who said it happened to him as well. He rented a glock 23 at a gun range and complained of the same problem. The last round would not feed, the slide would lock open with the last round still in the magazine. What gives?

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There are only three ways I know of for a slide to lock open:

1. Follower contacting the slide stop lever--magazine must be empty for contact. N O R M A L.

2. Thumb contacting the slide stop lever. Operator Error

3. Faulty slide stop lever spring. Replace slide stop lever.

5. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

it's not common among glocks, it's common operator error.

6. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

My slide was not locking up with the last round still in the magazine. What was happening was the round was getting pinched between the feed ramp and the slide causing the slide to stay open. It looked as if the flat end on the bullet (.40) just didn't want to lead the bullet into the chamber. I know this because it happened to me again today. Do you think that it is my magazine spring? The guy at the range told me that glocks have weak mag springs and that he has replaced all of his mag springs with wolff springs. Maybe this can cast some light on the issue. Any more input is appreciated!!

7. Fireglock

It could be the mag spring or it could be bent feed lips on the magazine. As I asked before, have you noticed if it happens with just one magazine or several or all? If it's only one it's possible it has been dropped and has landed on the lips bending them. Magazine springs can get weak but I have to tell you that I have 10 10rd mags I've used on my 23 for 4 years and none have needed new springs. I shot 20,000 rounds through that gun last year including 7 GSSF matches. Have you changed ammo you're using since this issue has arisen?

8. BlindBoyJoe

BlindBoyJoe

I usually shoot American Eagle ammo. I have also shot Blazer, Fiocchi, and Winchester out of it. Now that you mentioned it, it seems to olny happen with the American Eagle ammo (that might not be a fair assesment since I shoot American Eagle 90%of the time). I should of brought ohter magazines today with me to the range but didn't think of it. I wanted to see if it would still happen with the same magazine even after stretching the spring and making sure that the feed ramp was dry. I have also never droped that magazine. ;b

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"Should I Give Up On My Glock 22???"

Yes, the situation is hopeless. Probably won't be hopeless for the G22's next owner.

10. Fireglock

Make sure the next time you shoot that your thumbs are not touching the slide. If you drag the slide it will slow down it can keep it from picking up the next round.