close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I get this rifle?(for hunting)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by LarryD1130, Oct 28, 2010.

1. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I have been wanting to get another rifle for a while now. I currently have a Remington 597 and a Glenfield 30-30. The rifle I always planned on getting was a Remington 700. The only problem is that I couldn't choose which model and caliber I wanted. Well instead of just choosing a certain caliber and model I just decided to break it up into groups and go from there. Target and hunting. For target shooting I'm going to get some model in .308. For hunting I'm probably going to get a 30-06 at first. I also plan on getting a .270 and some type of magnum down the line.

I was checking out a gander mountain ad and I saw this. Is this a good rifle? Is it a good price? Any reviews of this rifle will be appreciated.

http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com...id=1011051&pagenumber=2&listingid=-2085699060
    It's not the best link but it gives you a general idea.

2. 4Baldy

4Baldy

For hunting it will take down any animal in north America. About $500 after rebate sounds good for a 30-06.

3. vafish

vafish

Can't go wrong with a .30-06 for hunting.

The .308 and .270 are so close to the performance of the .30-06 that it really doesn't make any difference to the animals.

4. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Agreed. While the 308 has become hugely popular, the longer cartridge casing of 30-06 allows a wider range of bullet weight and velocity combinations.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob100.html

5. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

All I can add is that I have a Remington 700 BDL chambered in 30/06 that I purchased in the 70’s. It has never missed a beat and I wouldn’t hesitate to use if for anything from Hogs to Moose/Grizzly. Right after I bought it the .308 became all the rage and I had wished I had gotten a .308. Now I’m very happy with 06. Just took it to range yesterday and it shoots as good as when new.

I think you’ll be happy with either .270 .308 or 06. You just have a few more loading options with the .06 but probably wouldn’t miss them. It’s almost like potato po-tot-tow. But personally I like all the options I can get. :)

6. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Withing reasonable shooting distances debating the better caliber is like debating between Brunettes, blondes, and redheads... Within common hunting conditions it's just a matter of which one You'd better like to be seen with... With a proper marksman, they all three yield the same result..

7. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

LOL. Yeah I'm definitely putting a Leoupold on it but I don't know which one. I love the .308 caliber but it isn't offered in this package. I'm going to get a .308 with a bull barrel eventually. For this gun it was between .270 and 30-06. I personally like the 30-06 better. I know there are millions of people who will say the the .270 is the best, most accurate, caliber there is but I like 30-06 more. I think I'm going to go get this rifle today.

8. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Neither round has a single thing to prove to anyone, their legacy's are written in stone... The big deciding factor between them aren't rooted in reality, but rather manifestations of a hunter's boredom and mindplay... Have fun, and shoot the hell out of it... The more you shoot and become more familiar with the rifle, the deadlier it gets...

9. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

Can't go wrong with a 30-06. Can't go wrong with a Remington 700. I'd say do it and drop some game.

10. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Thanks. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to go get it. Hopefully I'll get some more posts before then but I think I already made my decision. What gr. bullet should I get?

11. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

What are you trying to drop? Depends on that. I live by the heavier the better. Also depends on how far of a shot you plan on taking. You don't want something that will drop like a rock after 500 yards but you don't want something that hits like a bb at 500 yards. It is hard to find a balance for hunting IMO. In Ohio its easy to decide because its either pistols or shotguns outside of bow season.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  12. bmylesk

bmylesk

dude! im in the same boat and have researching for couple months now and will purchase something by Dec. i think a .308 is the best way to go for hunting and practice shooting. ammo is much cheaper too! with the .308 and a good set up, you can really hit out there at 1000 yrds easy. the biggest and single factor for me was ammo price! because in reality you can do the same with most caliber from .270 to .338 and all in between. :cool:

13. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

In a .270, I'd prefer something 130-150 grains for deer.... In a .308 or 30-06 I'd probably go with 165 or 180 at the heaviest... Use a good bullet construction that is made to stay together..

14. bmylesk

bmylesk

Some states require like Utah soft point or expansion bullet. So in a since u don't want it to stay together. Just FYI

15. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

I didn't say a monolithic or a smooth nose solid... In other words, no thin jacketed hollow point bullet made to fragment.... Use a thicker jacketed bullet, or something bonded, or something with a partition in the body of it... Nosler partitions, Accubonds, Scirocco, Grand Slam, Fail safe, swift A-frame, Barnes X family bullets, etc will all do their job... While I'm here, let me not ever recommend a Sierra boattail gameking bullet, couldn't ever keep the lead core in the jacket even in .284 160 grainers...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  16. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Well I went and got the rifle today. I'm happy with my purchase even though as soon as dads buddy saw it he gave me slack for buying a 30-06 instead of a .308. He said, "What is this? The sixties?" I was going to buy a scope for it but I couldn't make up my mind. I was looking through the different leupold's and the one I liked the best was $550 and that's how much I spent on the rifle. I was looking at one for $400 that wasn't that bad though. Maybe I'll get that one.

17. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Don't let your dad's buddy bother you - he's a moron. As someone, above, posted, the 30-06 is much more versatile. The only thing the 308 has going for it (vs. the 30-06) is the short action. That doesn't make it (308) bad, it just makes dad's buddy a moron. Tell him the 308 is a necked-up .243.

I have a brand new 3x9-40, VX-II Leupold that I sent back to the factory. The variable adjustment was too tight - I could hardly move it when it was cold outside. I put it back on a rifle this fall and am having a tough time zeroing it. Sometimes the adjustments seem to 'take' and sometimes they don't. I'm taking it off and putting a Nikon on that rifle. I'm a big fan of Nikon - and I'm less and less a fan of Leupold. Take a look at Nikon.

18. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I like Nikon but I want to put a Leupold on this rifle. I can't decide if the VX-III is worth the extra money over the VK-II. Definitely going to get the 3-9x40 and probably a duplex reticle.

19. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

20. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Should I get the Leupold VX-II or the Leupold VX-III?