close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I get a spotting scope or binoculars?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by LarryD1130, Mar 1, 2010.

1. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I was at the range the other day and I got kind of sick of walking through the snow to my 200 yard target to see how I did with my AR. So I was thinking that I need to get something to look down range with but I don't know if I should get a spotting scope of binoculars. I'll be at the range a lot so I know I will use the spotting scope and I won't have to keep searching for my target and new hits. But, if I get the binoculars I can look down range at the club and I can also use them when I go hunting. Which I think will be helpful since I usually hunt with a shotgun without a scope. What do yinz think I should do and what is a good brand/model for what you choose?

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

maybe go to a gym so you can get get into a bit of shape so walking 200 yards doesnt kill you?

3. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Everyone has a different opinion about hunting with binos.
    I have Steiner 7X50 medium power and great light gathering but they are huge. I can't stand little pocket binos but that's me. My 7x binos wont be picking up .22 holes at 200 yards. Plenty good for spotting Coyotes and predators.

Spotting scope is a great convenience to have at the range. My Leupold 15-45X50 can see those pesky little .22 holes at 200 yards. Reading mirage and doping the winds and spotting for long range shooting. Some folks do but I haven't carried the spotting scope to glass for Deer or Elk across canyons or hillsides. I'm never in the right place for that.

In reality we (I) want/use both.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

LOL. I was going to say that it doesn't bother me that much because I knew somebody would probably say that. I just want to get some glass so I don't have to keep making everybody stop shooting so I can going down range. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I know the first rule of Zombieland and my cardio is on point.

5. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

If I do get a spotting scope, what is a good brand/model and magnification level.

6. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I think I narrowed it down to a spotting scope but I do plan on buy binoculars too one day. What spotting scope should I get?

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

for what your wanting, i would check out big 5 or similar sporting goods stores, and get something 20-40x , and that would be a good starting point,

8. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Did anybody ever try the like $30 one from Dunham's?

9. Brucev

Brucev

With a decent spotting scope you will be able to see bullet holes in the black at 200 yds. If you spend a lot of time at the range, this will be a very helpful tool.

For the field, binoculars are excellent. I have a pair of Stiener 8x30 binoculars that I have used for 20 years. They are an excellent design and offer outstanding value. I have used them extensively for everything from sports and vacations to annual deer hunting trips. I have not found that binoculars offer very much utility at hunting ranges of less than about 75 yds. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

10. farley45

farley45

For what you're doing I would go with the spotting scope. I need to get one myself. I have a couple pairs of glasses that are great for spotting deer or whatever, but not so good for finding bullet holes in paper at long distances.

I would just go to a couple of your local sporting goods stores and check some out. Scheels always has a couple out for you to look through and check out so you can see what you want and what you want to spend.

11. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

What is a good spotting scope? I need one that I can see .22 and .223 holes from 100 yards.

12. RayB

RayB Retired Member

With optics, to a point, bigger is better. And you do get what you pay for. Still, there is such a thing as good enough, and there are some bargains out there.

For a quick education in optics, peruse this site:

http://www.telescope.com/control/main

Spotting acopes are telescopes, as are rifle scopes and binoculars.

Keep in mind that 10 X magnification is at the upper end of hand holdable for most of us, with binoculars or scopes, so you may want to invest in a tripod too. Just a thought... :whistling:

Good luck! :wavey:

--Ray

13. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

14. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

15. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

16. RayB

RayB Retired Member

This is large enough to do some astronomy.

In addition to the moon, a scope this size can show four of Jupiter's moons as well as Saturn's rings. It will also show some deep space objects, like the Orion Nebula, the Great Galaxy in Andromeda, and a few star clusters.

A better tripod with cable or electric slow motion controls would greatly enhance astronomical viewing.

--Ray

17. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Likewise, this scope can do some astronomy too.

Images will be tiny but clear, with Jupiter and four of its moons maybe looking something like this ) .o... --(the tiny dots at the left or right of the planet will move and disappear, behind or in front of Jupiter, as the hours and days pass)

Saturn will be tiny too, but exquisite--like a Christmas tree ornament. Its largest moon, Titan, should be visible too.

--Ray

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  18. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I just ordered a 20-60x60 spotting scope and a laser rangefinder. I'm also now broke.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  19. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Hmm laser rangefinder. I might have to consider one of them. I'm good right now because everything is marked at my range and it would be a waste of money.

20. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

LOL. I'm in an Astonomy class this semester. I should show it to my teacher and see what he thinks.