close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I file a lemon law complaint?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harlenm, May 31, 2012.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer, sticker price was just over $47,000.

It's overall a decent vehicle, but suffers from a few technological bugs, mainly the nav system. It periodically stops working, will either lose my position, or just lock up and not give me upcoming directions.

It's been at the dealership 4 times since last July, problem still persists.

Its too new to trade it in for something else because the payoff is too high compared to its value.

It will take 60 days for the arbitration to be completed, and their decision will be final. I may be rewarded with a refund less than what I owe on the loan because they deduct for mileage, and that is high. I can request a waiver on that deduction.

Here is an example of what it does.

[​IMG]

2. Mass10mm

Mass10mm Armed Yankee

It's obviously malfunctioning because you insist on driving it in the ocean! :supergrin:

3. harlenm

LOL, I was not on a boat at the time.

4. Resqu2

Resqu2

I will be surprised if you win on the Nav being tore up, I may be wrong though. I won a case against Chevy but it was for a major safety problem that couldn't be fixed. Good luck, post back what happens.

5. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

First off, you should probably stop driving it into the harbor :tongueout:

Second, what have they done to fix the problem? They should've replaced the nav system piece by piece, until it was fixed or unfixable.

What chance is there that you will actually get enough money to pay off the car? Maybe you should ask the Ford dealer to pay to have a local car audio store install a similar aftermarket nav system?

Edit: Mass10mm beat me to it.....

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  6. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

GPS has been a little bit flaky for everyone lately. I doubt there is anything the dealership can do about it. I seriously can't imagine returning a vehicle simply because the GPS isn't very accurate (well, maybe an airplane).

7. kiole

kiole

You should contact ford corporate explain the situation and tell them they have 14 days to come up with a resolution for your issues. After this you should seek a lemon law lawyer for a consultation to see if you even have a case. Then do as they advise...

I wouldn't lemon a vehicle over navigation as an aftermarket unit is only 500-1000$ and probably much better then the stock unit

8. harlenm

The problem is if it locks up, it has the potential to take out climate controls and radio as well, since it's all tied together. The key is whether the nav adds value to the vehicle.

9. harlenm

Basically nothing. They said at first it was a software issue and wait until the new software was released, which was done in the middle of March.

Problem still exists. Was at the dealer yesterday, they reinstalled the software.

No components have been replaced yet.

10. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I would say it certainly adds value to the vehicle. Did Ford give you the navigation for free? No. Are there lower model Explorers with no nav, and a lower sticker price?? Yes.
    Also, what if you breakdown in a CT nor'easter, and your climate controls stop working because of your nav, and you're family is now stuck in a freezing car, and who knows how long before help will arrive.....

11. Breadman03

Breadman03

And that is the problem. Next time, use the ferry. :tongueout:

12. Tongo

Tongo

Looks like your GPS dropped out. I'm assuming you weren't in a building or underground somehow. There are others that are complaining about GPS faults with the new update to 3.0.2, so you are definately not the only one experiencing it. You can go to http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151 and see others with similar issues.

I have a 2011 Limited and we've been pretty luck after the upgrade and the new Nav SD card (you got the new SD card right?). We are a little upset about the wind-tunnel effect of the Bluetooth microphone. There are times I can hardly hear my wife when she's driving.

There is also a rumor floating around about an upgrade due for the third quarter of this year to fix issues with GPS and bluetooth.

Dunno about lemon lawing it, but I hope you get some satisfaction one way or another.

13. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

In this situation, any repair decisions are out of the dealers hands. All decisions will be coming from Ford's technical assistance center. I spent 12 years as a technician for GM and saw only one vehicle bought back. I had a handful that customers threatened to Lemon Law but had their issues resolved. The manufacturer will send out an engineer before buying back the vehicle. This engineer will have tools and knowledge of the vehicle that is not available to the dealership or technician. It is a long process, the problem is nearly always addressed.

This issue most likely is a software issue and replacing parts with the same software isn't going to do anything. Ford may end up writing software for your specific vehicle. It doesn't happen often, but I have installed vehicle specific software before.

14. harlenm

If you go there and search nav issues, almost all the posts are by me!

15. Tongo

Tongo

LOL, nevermind then :tongueout:

16. harlenm

Also, the "no gps" icon is displayed, but I was on a completely un-obstructed road at the time.

Here is the road, there is no reason the gps shouldn't be able to see the sats.

[​IMG]

17. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Tell me about it :shocked:

18. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

High milage? How high? You may be past the window for arbitration...

19. Tongo

Tongo

Yea, I was just reading last night that some folks are having their GPS go out randomly. I'm still of the mind that Ford didn't really "rewrite" the software from scratch.

I hope you have good luck on the lemon law complaint! Let us know how it goes.

I wonder if that guy that had his tailgate open on the freeway was able to lemon law his Ex?

20. harlenm

I have up to 24,000 miles or 2 years. I have just under 19,000 in 10 months, and I'm going on a road trip in a month that will add 2,000 more miles in 1 week.

And I can have more miles than that, I just have to had the repairs attempted in that time frame in order to qualify.