close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I buy used H&k USP 45?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AA11285, Apr 4, 2010.

1. AA11285

AA11285

Went to a local gun shop in my area and they have a few law enforcement trade in USP .45 full-size models with the stainless slides. The gun shop has them priced at around $580, which I think is a good price for a USP .45, however, they have considerable wear and blemishes on the slide/frame, mostly on the slide. I can only guess how many rounds have gone through these. The gunshop employee mentioned that they used to belong to the Broward county SWAT team and they traded them in for newer models. I'm thinking SWAT members probably practice with their guns more often then other police officers, just a guess. Anyways I have 3 questions:

1. Do you think $580 is a good price? Might be able to negotiate a couple bucks off.
    2. I love the stainless finish, but it looks like it has to be redone and H&K doesn't do that at their factories. Where can I have the done and how much? Can I polish the slide myself by sanding, polishing with Mothers/Flitz etc?
    3. This would be my primary defense gun, so I need it to be 100% reliable. What parts can I purchase and swap out to make the gun good as new?

2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

1. Yeah, it's a good price. It'd be better if we could see it though.
    2. Unsure.
    3. Depends on the condition of the gun. Again pics would be helpful.

3. raven11

raven11

its still high, but i would buy it if i could negitioate it down to the $540 range

i have a 1984 Walther P5 with original magazines, and its been 100% with over 200-400 rounds i'd venture a guess and say you might not need to replace much with guns to make it work outside of firing it with your carry ammo to make sure it works

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

The slide can be bead blasted to look good as new or you can sand and polish it to your liking, but won't have the original look if that is a concern.

Hopefully it comes with 12 round magazines, since they are LE guns. If it only has 10 rounders, definitely negotiate down.

SWAT gun? Should have night sights.

Are they all the same age? HK uses a date code on the slide if you want to select the gun by it's manufacture date.

FWIW, USPs have not been offered in stainless steel for some time.

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

If the gun was used by SWAT team members I would guess it would have lots of rounds through it and have parts worn out. I wouldn't bother with it.

Since you are buying a gun for self defense it is better to be safe than sorry and buy a new one. For $580 you nearly have enough for a NIB Glock, XD, or M&P.

6. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

If you pay over $580 for any of those guns, you need to shop around. I agree with your point, though.

7. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

$580 is a decent price, depending on the age of the USP. The two letter date code will tell you the year of manufacture.

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" bordercolor="#ffffff" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="56%"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="10%">A</td><td align="center" width="10%">B</td><td align="center" width="10%">C</td><td align="center" width="10%">D</td><td align="center" width="10%">E</td><td align="center" width="10%">F</td><td align="center" width="10%">G</td><td align="center" width="10%">H</td><td align="center" width="10%">I</td><td align="center" width="10%">K</td></tr><tr><td align="center" width="10%">0</td><td align="center" width="10%">1</td><td align="center" width="10%">2</td><td align="center" width="10%">3</td><td align="center" width="10%">4</td><td align="center" width="10%">5</td><td align="center" width="10%">6</td><td align="center" width="10%">7</td><td align="center" width="10%">8</td><td align="center" width="10%">9</td></tr></tbody></table>

I'm confused, the pistol is already stainless or it has the HE finish and you would like to refinish it as stainless?

On a well used pistol, I suggest replacing the mag springs with Wolff +10% replacement springs in order to ensure proper feeding and lock-open upon firing the last round.

8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

That's a good price on a great pistol, if you like the way it fits in your hand I say grab it.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would replace the recoil and magazine springs which should be less than $30 http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto Pistols/HECKLER & KOCH/USP/cID1/mID26/dID136

If thats all that needs replacing its probably a deal. If it needs another couple hundred in parts then youre closer the cost of a new one. If you want to shoot a USP first and you can make it to the range in Pembroke Park, let me know.

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Buds has some all black ones with 2 mags and night sights for $569 delivered.

11. jeremy1

jeremy1

I bought a used USP 45 a few months ago and love it. I wish that I had bought one sooner. Mine is a 95 or 96 from the date code. I bought all the replacement springs for it, which was expensive compared to Glock or Sig. I think that springs alone was clsoe to $100. With a gun of that age this IMHO is a must for reliability. A weak recoil spring can mean a face full of plastic/brass/metal on the range.
    As for the price, I would say thats high for an ex-police gun with an unknown round count. Swat guys are probally putting no less than 5K through the gun each year. If the gun is under say 5 years old, comes with nite sights, and two or more magazines it might be a good deal.
    As for the finish, I would have it professionally done. I think that most stainless jobs are glass bead blasted to take away the high gloss finish that stainless gives. I wouldn't mess with it.

12. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

:shocked:

Where did you get your springs? Brownell's, Midway, Wolff, etc. all sell extra power mag springs for less than $6 when you buy a three pack, recoil springs are seven bucks & change and a hammer spring is under $5. And they are all very simple to replace.