close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I buy an Omega Moon Watch?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LockHavenYellow, Dec 14, 2011.

1. LockHavenYellow

LockHavenYellow Flyin' Low

I currently have an offer from someone that has had their Omega for about a year. It still has a year in the warranty left and the watch is simply beautiful and the price is outstanding.

However, it's more than I've spent personally on a watch ever before. I have the Devil on one shoulder saying "you only live once" and the angel on the other saying "this is want vs. need."

What would you do? It certainly won't put me into financial straits by any means, but it's also not a light purchase.

2. Silent_Runner

Silent_Runner Can you hear me

Is the price reasonable?

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I'd venture to answer in the affirmative. :whistling:

4. LockHavenYellow

MSRP is $4500; I can get one brand new for about $3200; this one is a year old, 98% condition and he wants $2500 shipped.

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Best watch I have ever owned.

6. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Which version? and where did he get it?

There are a lot of fakes, so no accusations, but you have to be aware. I deal in luxury watches as well as rare coins, there are amazing fakes out there. Make sure he bought it from an authorized dealer. Don't trust the papers with it, those are also easily faked.

If it looks fine, then buying an Omega at a used discount is a real wise purchase. They are fine watches. Does it have the new 8500 caliber or the old 2500?

Chris - Numismatist

7. LockHavenYellow

He has all of the paperwork and the original receipt from the authorized dealer (Jared jewelers).

8. LockHavenYellow

And I'm also checking on the movement right now - I sent a message to him asking about that. 1861 or I'm not interested.

9. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Yes, you should buy it.

I'm a big believer in spending more heavily on things that are with me for large chunks of time, and/or are very close to my body. Watches, mattresses, underwear, pocket knife, cell phone, shoes, etc... These things all ride with me all day every day, or I spend 8-ish hours every day there.

These are the perfect place to drop more cash than usual- every one of these items adds more to my happiness than I'd ever imagined, and contributes every single day to a better life.

I scrimp on things that get only occasional use... And almost never notice that I bought the cheap one, or if I do notice, it's
    Only for a few minutes every once in a while.

Every man should have a watch that makes him really happy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  10. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

That's a damn sexy watch! First one I've seen that makes me reconsider my lust for the Rolex GMT-Master (II).

11. LockHavenYellow

I've been drooling for this watch for a long time. I'm in a position now where I can afford it without screwing myself, but I'm always cautious about my money...I always have the doomsday scenario in my head and I don't want to screw myself in the long run.

But on the other hand, I could die tomorrow.

12. LockHavenYellow

It went to the Moon...that's good enough for me! :wavey:

13. itstime

itstime

It's a great watch with a great heritage. Ther is something about sitting down relaxing looking at it and give it a wind.

It's like a pet. You have to feed it to keep it alive. It sounds like you really want it. Go for it.

If you want the same model make sure it's the exact model with the acrylic crystal and caseback. That's the one I would get.

14. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

my bad, I didn't catch the Moon in the thread title, yup that's the movement you want. I'm used to them being called Speedys...

Anyway, Omega a fine in-house movement maker; not just a case maker with ETA parts!

15. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

As stated, you only live once.

I know how you feel about the purchase. When I got my GMT-IIc, I beat myself up for days before I finally did the deed. When I walked out, I was very happy, then, I realized how much money I spent on a watch.

Having said that, I know I made the right decision as this is something that increases in value and should be enjoyed for generations (I hope).

If you've lusted after it for a long time, then go for it. If you pass it up, you'll kick yourself for a LONG TIME.

I doubt the end of the world will be here in the immediate future, but if it is, we're all screwed anyways. You might as well be able to sit back and tell what time it is during the unfolding of society as you know it. :)

16. VELO

VELO

I'd do it if you have the loot. That looks like a really good price. I wouldn't get too hung up on the movement. I had one about four years ago with the older movement and it was just fine. I ended up selling it (much to my regret), but now have a 1968 Pre-Moon Speedy that I'm saving money to get refurbished.

Buy it and enjoy it.

ETA: I *would* make sure that it's a 3570.50 though. I'm sure you've already done that, but some sellers don't know the difference between the moon watch and the automatic speedy.

17. VELO

VELO

Noooooo! Don't give up on your GMT. It's a fine watch that belongs on an aviators wrist. My absolute most favorite watch I've ever owned (and I've owned quite a few).

Just do like I did and get one of each! :)

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

There are no decent fakes of the Speedmaster Moonie chronograph. There isn't a fake movement that gets the subdial spacing right. You'll see the occasional frankenstein made with a Lemania caliber pulled from another watch, but the price of the Moonie is low enough that this watch doesn't make sense to fake unless it can be done cheaply and Lemanias are expensive no matter where they originally came from.

There are excellent fakes of the Speedmaster Date, however, since it uses a standard 7750.

19. LockHavenYellow

I'm verifying the store that he bought it at as an Authorized Dealer and pending that result, I believe that I'll be the new owner of a Speedy!

20. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

You don't mention in your post if you already have a Swiss. If not, you know you have to have one.