Should I buy an M9?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by UncleDave, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Looks like we might borrow M17s for the match, so maybe I won't need a new Beretta after all.

GlockWheeler likes this.
  2. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

So sad... You still need no excuse for a new Beretta :D

slamdunc and TheDreadnought like this.

3. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

get the Beretta, I have not shot 1, but they look like a great pistol. I am pretty much a SIG man, like the da/sa triggers, and a steel pistol.

4. UncleDave

UncleDave

I went to the outdoor range this morning and fed it it's first 100 rounds, Blazer 115gr FMJ. I'm hooked. For a stock not-yet-broken-in trigger, the DA is quite heavy but very smooth.

The M9 is almost 5oz heavier than the M17 (34.2 vs 29.4), but the M17 feels top heavy. The M9 has a better balance, IMHO. Recoil comes straight back and is smooth as silk.

After this, I'm really interested in trying out an M9A3...

Colt38SuperDude likes this.
  5. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Atta boy. If I had the money, I would have a wheel like Shipwreck. My 92FS is an Inox, my favorite pistol of my modest collection to shoot. I quit saying that Berettas are butter-smooth. Butter is Beretta smooth.

UncleDave and Colt38SuperDude like this.
  6. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Some people said, "It's the design that made the Beretta smooth." Not necessarily so. I have a Stoeger Cougar - a Turkish Beretta Cougar made on Beretta licensed machines. Compared it to a Beretta Cougar and the Beretta has that buttery smoothness of the action while the Stoeger is about typical of other handguns.

7. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

[​IMG]

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guide-beretta-92/

8. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    Some of my Berettas. So, obviously my vote is yes get it.
    20201023_184807.jpg
    Wait....I already voted to get it.....oh well it works for politicians so why not vote again?

9. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I’d suggest you trying out one of the 92X first. With the 92X, you also have the option of the factory de cocker only G-style configuration

DonGlock26 and TheDreadnought like this.
  10. ShipWreck

Be aware that the M9A3 comes with a "D" hammer spring - the DA weight is lighter.

You can actually get the factory D spring and replace the stock one in your gun - to take about 3lbs off the DA and about 1 pound off the SA pull...

Some people get other aftermarket springs and go lighter. However - sometimes after a few thousand rounds, you will get light hammer strikes on some of them. The factory D spring is as light as I ever go, and it is a factory part. It is still 100% reliable.

RF7126 likes this.
  11. ShipWreck

The M9A3 has that G option too. But, I like the night sights better on the M9A3.

12. Aurora

Aurora

I have three 92s. I tend to collect reliable pieces of machinery and I gotta say that the Beretta qualifies. I don't shoot them as much as the Glocks and H&Ks but I really value owning them. I want an A3 and will pick one up when things calm down a little.

I like to ask enthusiasts questions when I encounter them. What do you think of the locking block issue? I heard a lot of noise about it but I've never personally seen any proof. What do you think .....and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

V.

13. ShipWreck

People often break locking blocks because of lack of maintenance. From my understanding, spring replacement is quite often not done in the military, and then people throw a fit when a locking block breaks.

They are rated to be changed at 20k rounds. However - over the years, I have seen people on gun forums break them. And, a vast majority of the breaks hit right around 20k rounds. My suggestion is to change it at the 15k round mark.

Also, recoil spring changes will increase the lifetime of that locking block. I have seen MANY people on gun forums over the years who have never changed the recoil spring on their 92FS, and they are passed the 10k mark. Beretta recommends a change at every 5k rounds. I would state, however, that it should be done between 3k-5k rounds. I usually do it around the 3750-4k round mark. You can see the recoil spring is much shorter than a new one at that time.

If you change the recoil spring regularly, you'll have less potential for a locking block issue.

Also, after a gun breaks a locking block - it is more susceptible to do it again. And, sometimes when it does break, it can damage the frame and it is no longer useable. So, it's much easier to just change out the recoil spring, and change the locking block every 15k rounds. And, you'll be fine.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    China boy, Aurora, Gary1911A1 and 2 others like this.
  14. UncleDave

UncleDave

Ordered the D hammer spring from Brownells. Also ordered the factory metal parts kit and metal lanyard loop from BerettaUSA, just to make it as authentic as possible, save the markings. Yeah, I know, no functional difference, but it's what I want to do, and I can always swap things back. I know the military issued M9 has the heavy trigger spring, but at least the D spring is a factory part, and any reduction in that 100lb DA pull is a good thing.

Another nice touch that would make these these things more "authentic" would be a reproduction QR tag. Wonder if anyone makes those. ;)

China boy likes this.
  15. capt.carl

capt.carl

Good call. The D spring and metal trigger make a big difference.

16. dsa1115

dsa1115

I’ve put the D spring in my 92’s and have converted them to decocker only.

ShipWreck likes this.
  17. Smith46wesson

Smith46wesson

I have an M9 in my list at some point.

ShipWreck likes this.
  18. Karambit777

Karambit777

It’s an awesome pistol but has to many roll pins and small parts for a detail strip for my taste. Not that it needs detail stripped very often. Most people won’t shoot one enough to matter anyway.

19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Interesting to me that 92's were made as single action only. That's my main objection to the Beretta 92 other than the fact that it's a large pistol for a 9mm. I don't think a 9mm needs to be any larger than a Glock 19 or Glock 45. I've never liked the G17.

20. seang23or32

seang23or32

The local Rural King got a couple of 92FS models in late last week. My wife asked if I wanted anything besides socks for Christmas.....well now that you mention it. It is going to be a long wait for Christmas.

Rural King is the only place around me that has not increased their prices on firearms.