GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
64,045 Posts
Rural Kings here in Ohio has M9 Beretta Pistols in stock. Forget the price, but they are out there.
Looks like we might borrow M17s for the match, so maybe I won't need a new Beretta after all.

Reactions: GlockWheeler

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Silly question, of course I should!

I've been eyeing the M9/92FS for some time, especially the M9A3, but always stopped short of "pulling the trigger" so to speak. I always seem to overlook the Beretta in favor of Sigs, my tried and true go-to for all things DA/SA.

But my son's involvement in the Army has piqued my interest once again. That, and feedback from several folks telling me how accurate they are, how the recoil impulse pushes straight back, how they are a joy to shoot, etc. So I figure, why not give it a "shot?"

It is difficult to find an M9A3 locally these days, but word has it my LGS has 3 "regular" M9 models in stock. Seriously considering stopping in on payday. Unless anyone has a legitimate reason not to...

What are your biggest complaints about this pistol, besides the grip size and slide-mounted safety?
get the Beretta, I have not shot 1, but they look like a great pistol. I am pretty much a SIG man, like the da/sa triggers, and a steel pistol.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I went to the outdoor range this morning and fed it it's first 100 rounds, Blazer 115gr FMJ. I'm hooked. For a stock not-yet-broken-in trigger, the DA is quite heavy but very smooth.

The M9 is almost 5oz heavier than the M17 (34.2 vs 29.4), but the M17 feels top heavy. The M9 has a better balance, IMHO. Recoil comes straight back and is smooth as silk.

After this, I'm really interested in trying out an M9A3...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I quit saying that Berettas are butter-smooth. Butter is Beretta smooth.
Some people said, "It's the design that made the Beretta smooth." Not necessarily so. I have a Stoeger Cougar - a Turkish Beretta Cougar made on Beretta licensed machines. Compared it to a Beretta Cougar and the Beretta has that buttery smoothness of the action while the Stoeger is about typical of other handguns.

·
Registered
75,848 Posts

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,477 Posts
Some of my Berettas. So, obviously my vote is yes get it.
20201023_184807.jpg

Wait....I already voted to get it.....oh well it works for politicians so why not vote again?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I went to the outdoor range this morning and fed it it's first 100 rounds, Blazer 115gr FMJ. I'm hooked. For a stock not-yet-broken-in trigger, the DA is quite heavy but very smooth.

The M9 is almost 5oz heavier than the M17 (34.2 vs 29.4), but the M17 feels top heavy. The M9 has a better balance, IMHO. Recoil comes straight back and is smooth as silk.

I’d suggest you trying out one of the 92X first. With the 92X, you also have the option of the factory de cocker only G-style configuration

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
Be aware that the M9A3 comes with a "D" hammer spring - the DA weight is lighter.

You can actually get the factory D spring and replace the stock one in your gun - to take about 3lbs off the DA and about 1 pound off the SA pull...

Some people get other aftermarket springs and go lighter. However - sometimes after a few thousand rounds, you will get light hammer strikes on some of them. The factory D spring is as light as I ever go, and it is a factory part. It is still 100% reliable.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The M9A3 has that G option too. But, I like the night sights better on the M9A3.
I have three 92s. I tend to collect reliable pieces of machinery and I gotta say that the Beretta qualifies. I don't shoot them as much as the Glocks and H&Ks but I really value owning them. I want an A3 and will pick one up when things calm down a little.

I like to ask enthusiasts questions when I encounter them. What do you think of the locking block issue? I heard a lot of noise about it but I've never personally seen any proof. What do you think .....and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

V.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,443 Posts
I have three 92s. I tend to collect reliable pieces of machinery and I gotta say that the Beretta qualifies. I don't shoot them as much as the Glocks and H&Ks but I really value owning them. I want an A3 and will pick one up when things calm down a little.

I like to ask enthusiasts questions when I encounter them. What do you think of the locking block issue? I heard a lot of noise about it but I've never personally seen any proof. What do you think .....and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

V.

People often break locking blocks because of lack of maintenance. From my understanding, spring replacement is quite often not done in the military, and then people throw a fit when a locking block breaks.

They are rated to be changed at 20k rounds. However - over the years, I have seen people on gun forums break them. And, a vast majority of the breaks hit right around 20k rounds. My suggestion is to change it at the 15k round mark.

Also, recoil spring changes will increase the lifetime of that locking block. I have seen MANY people on gun forums over the years who have never changed the recoil spring on their 92FS, and they are passed the 10k mark. Beretta recommends a change at every 5k rounds. I would state, however, that it should be done between 3k-5k rounds. I usually do it around the 3750-4k round mark. You can see the recoil spring is much shorter than a new one at that time.

If you change the recoil spring regularly, you'll have less potential for a locking block issue.

Also, after a gun breaks a locking block - it is more susceptible to do it again. And, sometimes when it does break, it can damage the frame and it is no longer useable. So, it's much easier to just change out the recoil spring, and change the locking block every 15k rounds. And, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Be aware that the M9A3 comes with a "D" hammer spring - the DA weight is lighter.

You can actually get the factory D spring and replace the stock one in your gun - to take about 3lbs off the DA and about 1 pound off the SA pull...

Some people get other aftermarket springs and go lighter. However - sometimes after a few thousand rounds, you will get light hammer strikes on some of them. The factory D spring is as light as I ever go, and it is a factory part. It is still 100% reliable.
Ordered the D hammer spring from Brownells. Also ordered the factory metal parts kit and metal lanyard loop from BerettaUSA, just to make it as authentic as possible, save the markings. Yeah, I know, no functional difference, but it's what I want to do, and I can always swap things back. I know the military issued M9 has the heavy trigger spring, but at least the D spring is a factory part, and any reduction in that 100lb DA pull is a good thing.

Another nice touch that would make these these things more "authentic" would be a reproduction QR tag. Wonder if anyone makes those. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ordered the D hammer spring from Brownells. Also ordered the factory metal parts kit and metal lanyard loop from BerettaUSA, just to make it as authentic as possible, save the markings. Yeah, I know, no functional difference, but it's what I want to do, and I can always swap things back. I know the military issued M9 has the heavy trigger spring, but at least the D spring is a factory part, and any reduction in that 100lb DA pull is a good thing.

Another nice touch that would make these these things more "authentic" would be a reproduction QR tag. Wonder if anyone makes those. ;)
Good call. The D spring and metal trigger make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It’s an awesome pistol but has to many roll pins and small parts for a detail strip for my taste. Not that it needs detail stripped very often. Most people won’t shoot one enough to matter anyway.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Rural Kings here in Ohio has M9 Beretta Pistols in stock. Forget the price, but they are out there.
The local Rural King got a couple of 92FS models in late last week. My wife asked if I wanted anything besides socks for Christmas.....well now that you mention it. It is going to be a long wait for Christmas.

Rural King is the only place around me that has not increased their prices on firearms.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts