GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,372 Posts
Berettas? Sure you should buy one... Or, nine... Or, ten :D

I love the M9A3. With the conversion grip, the M9A3 is my favorite 92 variant.

Be aware that the frame on the plain M9 is a little different. I have small hands, and the M9 uses the older 92 frame... There is no rear strap indentation. That makes the gun too big for my hand.

The 92FS, M9A1, 92A1 all have the rear strap indentation - it brings your hand a tiny bit closer to the trigger.

The M9A3 has the Vertec grip. I don't shoot as well with the Vertec grip, but thankfully the M9A3 comes with a Hogue conversion grip. With that, I find the grip even better for small hands than the 92FS.

Anyway, here is one $798 in black: https://gunprime.com/products/beretta-m9a3-9mm-black-3-x-171-type-f-j92m9a3mo

And, info on grip:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I would say yes. I love the looks of the gun but do I like it? Not really, carried one as a pilot, too big and bulky for that duty. But I have the M9A3 and love shooting it. I’ve used it for home defense but generally it s a safe gun.

Reactions: DonGlock26

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,456 Posts
I just picked up another today. A M9A1 that was new. I was down at the gunshop and they were cleaning out some left over layaway items. Someone put it in layaway a year ago and never went back. So I gave it a good home.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,344 Posts
A guy on another forum I frequent, has a 92FS for sale, that he recently bought.
Says it has only 200 rounds through it.

He's asking $500.00 for it.

Don't know the guy, personally. Just passing along the information.
(Actual photos from the guy's ad.)

1aakbvcwkr(1).jpeg
1aakbvcwej.jpeg

·
Registered
74,443 Posts
Silly question, of course I should!

I've been eyeing the M9/92FS for some time, especially the M9A3, but always stopped short of "pulling the trigger" so to speak. I always seem to overlook the Beretta in favor of Sigs, my tried and true go-to for all things DA/SA.

But my son's involvement in the Army has piqued my interest once again. That, and feedback from several folks telling me how accurate they are, how the recoil impulse pushes straight back, how they are a joy to shoot, etc. So I figure, why not give it a "shot?"

It is difficult to find an M9A3 locally these days, but word has it my LGS has 3 "regular" M9 models in stock. Seriously considering stopping in on payday. Unless anyone has a legitimate reason not to...

What are your biggest complaints about this pistol, besides the grip size and slide-mounted safety?

Good stuff to know:

Optimizing the Beretta 92 for Self-Defense

View: https://youtu.be/glXg6erRgtA

Reactions: UncleDave

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,344 Posts
I'd like to find a Beretta 92 Centurion.

I've got the 92FS and kick myself in the butt, for not getting the Centurion also, through the Sheriff's Dept., when I had the chance.

·
1,823 Posts
I think the M9A3 is the finest variant of the species.

73E357C4-1A1F-41B1-8F1E-03F083DF72C7.jpeg
8185A61D-8C71-4DB1-9AD8-6147A9449AAE.jpeg
A6C1A290-9302-46D0-8445-5C457D4D74C7.jpeg
95406434-7F03-4934-8CC1-EB3477DB7C22.jpeg
16A50722-B258-4F55-A73B-BFB06473A1A9.jpeg

I carried the M9 on active duty as a Tanker and I’m a fan. Never failed me on the two way range (although not nearly as effective as the 120mm, the Ma Deuce, or the 240B).

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I've never even fired one. I'm old enough to have carried the 1911 for Uncle Sam. My LE career sent me down different routes as well.

Just by holding quite a few over the years left me little desire to pursue them. They fit my hands pretty poorly. Having mostly given up TDA pistols at this point, it's more than likely that will continue.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I visited the LGS first thing this morning and they still had a couple in stock, so I picked one up. Range day is coming soon, hopefully.

Just handling it and checking it over, racking the slide, dry firing, etc, this thing has quality smeared all over it. Smooth slide action, very heavy but buttery-smooth DA, crisp SA, very solid feeling. Can't wait to perforate some paper.

M9.JPG

·
Registered
946 Posts
I visited the LGS first thing this morning and they still had a couple in stock, so I picked one up. Range day is coming soon, hopefully.

Just handling it and checking it over, racking the slide, dry firing, etc, this thing has quality smeared all over it. Smooth slide action, very heavy but buttery-smooth DA, crisp SA, very solid feeling. Can't wait to perforate some paper.

View attachment 853236
Congratulations!!!

·
NRA Life Member
63,391 Posts
Besides that? Well, the DA/SA trigger is the worst thing about it, but it better than some others. If I was buying one, it would be the standard M9, not an M9A3 - I figure the only attraction of the gun is that the Army used them and I've never seen anybody in any branch of the military with an A3.
And now, having sold my M9 and all of my 20-something magazines and some of my holsters, I just transferred back to my prior Army Reserve unit that is serious about shooting. Yesterday the CSM just told me I am going to be shooting in the U.S. Army Small Arms Championship in March, which means combat, bullseye and multi-gun action matches with an M4 and M9.

Anybody know a place with M9/92s in stock? Maybe I can trade for one at the gun show at the end of the month.

·
Registered
946 Posts
And now, having sold my M9 and all of my 20-something magazines and some of my holsters, I just transferred back to my prior Army Reserve unit that is serious about shooting. Yesterday the CSM just told me I am going to be shooting in the U.S. Army Small Arms Championship in March, which means combat, bullseye and multi-gun action matches with an M4 and M9.

Anybody know a place with M9/92s in stock? Maybe I can trade for one at the gun show at the end of the month.

Alas, I don't know of any local shop that has a 92FS or M9 right now so that you can do a transfer. They have 92X, Langdon Tactical Elite, even Wilson Combat, but not a plain jane 92FS or M9.

·
NRA Life Member
63,391 Posts
Alas, I don't know of any local shop that has a 92FS or M9 right now so that you can do a transfer. They have 92X, Langdon Tactical Elite, even Wilson Combat, but not a plain jane 92FS or M9.
Bud's has a 92FS, US and Italian, but I'd like to get by a little cheaper. I'll go by the real Buds this weekend and see if they have them in the "qualified professional" counter or a used one.

Reactions: Colt38SuperDude

·
Gunslinger
1,626 Posts
I’ve owned several, carried one as a duty weapon for a while, often think about buying another, but always trade them away for one reason... The grip is too short. Everything else is fine for me. Even the slide mounted safety/decocker (although I prefer the G model). I just cannot tolerate the fact that the grip is just a hair too short to fully accommodate my hand.

I have the same problem with the Glock 19/23/32 sized guns. They all fall into a category of pistols that I personally consider to be full size, yet have grips that are too short. That’s my gripe with them.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Bud's has a 92FS, US and Italian, but I'd like to get by a little cheaper. I'll go by the real Buds this weekend and see if they have them in the "qualified professional" counter or a used one.
Rural Kings here in Ohio has M9 Beretta Pistols in stock. Forget the price, but they are out there.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts