GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question, of course I should!

I've been eyeing the M9/92FS for some time, especially the M9A3, but always stopped short of "pulling the trigger" so to speak. I always seem to overlook the Beretta in favor of Sigs, my tried and true go-to for all things DA/SA.

But my son's involvement in the Army has piqued my interest once again. That, and feedback from several folks telling me how accurate they are, how the recoil impulse pushes straight back, how they are a joy to shoot, etc. So I figure, why not give it a "shot?"

It is difficult to find an M9A3 locally these days, but word has it my LGS has 3 "regular" M9 models in stock. Seriously considering stopping in on payday. Unless anyone has a legitimate reason not to...

What are your biggest complaints about this pistol, besides the grip size and slide-mounted safety?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Silly question, of course I should!

I've been eyeing the M9/92FS for some time, especially the M9A3, but always stopped short of "pulling the trigger" so to speak. I always seem to overlook the Beretta in favor of Sigs, my tried and true go-to for all things DA/SA.

But my son's involvement in the Army has piqued my interest once again. That, and feedback from several folks telling me how accurate they are, how the recoil impulse pushes straight back, how they are a joy to shoot, etc. So I figure, why not give it a "shot?"

It is difficult to find an M9A3 locally these days, but word has it my LGS has 3 "regular" M9 models in stock. Seriously considering stopping in on payday. Unless anyone has a legitimate reason not to...

What are your biggest complaints about this pistol, besides the grip size and slide-mounted safety?
My biggest complaint is that they tend to multiply into the higher dollars range after a taste of the M9.

First you start with the M9. Then you convince yourself that the 92FS is almost the same but with minor cosmetic differences and just as cheap.

Next thing you know, you done bought an Inox because you don’t want your Beretta to rust. Somehow down the line, you needed the Wilson Combats because Bill Wilson said the 92 is the best darn gun in the world.

finally you told yourself that the 92 isn’t perfect unless it has cock n lock thumb safety.

so, that’s my gripe about the damn M9.

30FE5B46-D377-4758-A628-062298B5DED8.jpeg
CF8FC0E5-F564-43B6-A0E0-A400AB7B2624.jpeg
C0238BCA-7753-4434-8390-941B7D827280.jpeg
56543DB1-D173-4906-B260-11D2ACC6FD5E.jpeg

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,456 Posts
I have about 10 of various makes. Some G models, some eh you get the idea. I obviously really like them.
My only complaint is the safety. That is why most of mine are G models. If they aren't G model then they are just range toys.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My biggest complaint is that they tend to multiply into the higher dollars range after a taste of the M9.

First you start with the M9. Then you convince yourself that the 92FS is almost the same but with minor cosmetic differences and just as cheap.

Next thing you know, you done bought an Inox because you don’t want your Beretta to rust. Somehow down the line, you needed the Wilson Combats because Bill Wilson said the 92 is the best darn gun in the world.

finally you told yourself that the 92 isn’t perfect unless it has cock n lock thumb safety.

so, that’s my gripe about the damn M9.

View attachment 851986 View attachment 851990 View attachment 851992 View attachment 852002
Which grips do you have on your Beretta, third up from the bottom? I like those.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My only complain is that it's such a large pistol. No way would I want to carry one. However, it is really a great gun to shoot.

·
MacGyver
6,998 Posts
Impractical for civilians: Big bulky, heavy, expensive, and DA/SA trigger. Good if you wear a full gear set up, full size holster, no good for general civilian EDC or sitting in the car. Yes they shoot nice, and they were the military pick until recently, if you like the trigger. (I have 3 of them in various forms).

Like Walther PPKs, and John Wick guns-- don't buy guns for dress up fantasy.

·
Native Mainiac
18,705 Posts
I only have one so far. A plain Jane M9 Commercial. Was worried at first as it wouldn't cycle Blazer ammo. But a couple hundred rounds of NATO stuff broke it in and now it's good with everything, even my mild handloads.

But like @Colt38SuperDude said....I'm jonesing for another...fancier...Italian made stainless one. Be careful...very careful. You'll burn through a lot of ammo with one.

·
NRA Life Member
63,390 Posts
Besides that? Well, the DA/SA trigger is the worst thing about it, but it better than some others. If I was buying one, it would be the standard M9, not an M9A3 - I figure the only attraction of the gun is that the Army used them and I've never seen anybody in any branch of the military with an A3.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Which grips do you have on your Beretta, third up from the bottom? I like those.
That would be some generic grips I found on CDNN Sports. I don't think that CDNN sells it any more. I like the dark color and the sharp checkering but the shape is rather crappy. There are some weird, sharp corners on those grip panels.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Impractical for civilians: Big bulky, heavy, expensive, and DA/SA trigger. Good if you wear a full gear set up, full size holster, no good for general civilian EDC or sitting in the car. Yes they shoot nice, and they were the military pick until recently, if you like the trigger. (I have 3 of them in various forms).

Like Walther PPKs, and John Wick guns-- don't buy guns for dress up fantasy.
I don't know about you, but plenty of civilians out there don't buy handguns just for EDC. A lot of us like to buy full size guns just to plink or leave at home for home defense.

Or to look cool like John McClane.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure....I don't own one, but I fired it, shot "expert" with it, and carried it in the sandbox while on active duty. My complaint is that it's "big for caliber" and really doesn't fit my hand well, which is why I don't own one. If it fits you, then by all means....buy it!

I really, really, really, wish it had a smaller frame so I could justify getting one myself. But I just can't seem to do it...:crying:

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Owned a 92 Italian Inox and an M9 at various times.

Both were great shooters but if I was only going to have one, I'd hunt down another 92 Inox (the Italian version with silver controls)and have a dovetail installed for the front sight to be changeable. Little red painted dot was hard to pick up at speed.

Just my $.02.

And yes, you should buy one. But you already knew that. :)

·
Registered
14,124 Posts
The Beretta 92 is my all time favorite. It was the first handgun I ever bought and it’s been my favorite ever since.

The slide mounted safety is easy enough to fix. I like both the G conversion kit or the Wilson single sided low profile safety. Either work very well to prevent accidental activation of the safety.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You need a M11 (SIG) so you can say "My gun goes to eleven".
Well, I do own an M11A1, I guess that's close enough. ;)

A goal of mine is to own commercially-available facsimiles of various U.S. military-issued semi-auto handguns. M9 is next on the list, then Mk25 if I can find one locally.

I'm curious; does the commercial M9 still use the original design locking block, or the updated A1 design?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
M9? First handgun I ever shot, it was easy...qualified expert and competed with one. And it was a blast. Yes, you should have one. I would not go for the A3 myself, unless I was intent on suppressing it and looking cool. For me its a classic, and should be had in its classic form.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts