close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I build a fortress?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glockaviator, Mar 14, 2010.

1. glockaviator

glockaviator

I sometimes like to shoot guns. Guns and gun ownership is a right. Its a sport. So then you get into this self defense stuff. My house has been broken into (not recently). Actually, counting all the houses I've lived in, I've had 3 break ins. None when I was at home. I looked at my current house. It wouldnt be too hard to break in. I live in a fairly crime free area. I had a bicycle stolen here once. But I could make some "improvements". Not sure I want to live in a fortress. What's one bicycle?

So I ask myself. Should I bar my windows? What about getting out for me and my family in case of a fire? Then there is carrying. Now, Ive never been mugged, but it's possible. I've met some that have. So carrying MIGHT help, might not. The people I met who were mugged just turned over their wallet and nothing else happened. Robbers got away, but they didn't get hurt. I mean, that's bad, but not THAT bad. Just get a new wallet and cards and stuff. You're not liable for fraud use of credit card in this state, not a dime. No guarantee that carrying might make things worse. I've met some bad people, but no one that is bad enough I'd shoot them. They might be bad, but they aren't THAT bad. Actually shooting someone is pretty damn serious.

I dunno. Not sure carrying a gun would make me safer. Under some circumstances it might. But how often does that happen? Carrying is sort of like building a fortress around my body.

There are the side effects of all this building a fortress. I still want to be open and free and friendly with people. Will I be able to do that if I build a fortress around myself and my family? When I grew up, we didn't even lock the front door. No one did. Too many kids running in and out to lock the doors. Only time we locked the doors were when we went on vacation. I know someone near here that still doesnt lock their doors. Not during the day anyway (they might at night). So there is the friendliness factor to consider. I still want to be friendly.

Not so sure I want to build a fortress.....

2. steve1988

steve1988

Carry concealed (if legal). Then you don't have to worry about offending anyone. You can take some basic precautions for your home as well without offending anyone either.

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Find a company in your area that will coat your windows with a break resistant film. I forget the name of it, but it makes it hard as hell to get through. Not as good as steel bars, but a damn sight better then regular windows.

I would suggest getting some longer screws for all the outside doors and replacing the hinge screws that go into the studs with 3 1/2 inch screws. If you don't have a deadbolt get one. You may want to consider a steel strike plate.

The biggest thing is actually mindset, you can't see something unless you look for it. There are quite a few things you can do to increase the security level without making a house seem like a fortress. If all else fails call your local police department and see if they could give you a hand making your house more burglar proof.

4. Milltown

Milltown

Consider taking the NRA self-defense in the home course.

5. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Security is a state of mind; what ever works for you my friend.

6. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

i didnt read any post but the title is 'should i build a fortress' and the answer is undoubtedly yes.

with a moat

7. Unnamed

Unnamed

You should absolutely built a fort in your home. I love mine.

[​IMG]

8. G31

G31 Millennium Member

I saw the title and immediately thought the word "moat" too. :rofl:

In all seriousness...

Carrying a gun doesn't have to turn you into a paranoid nut. All you really need is good situational awareness, but you don't have to be uneasy with everyone. Look at it as a last-ditch means of protecting yourself.

One thing you can't do is try to predict criminals. Lots of armed robberies lead to murders, and it could be over something as stupid as a wrong look. Best case scenario is what you played out; worst is death. You carry to give yourself a chance in the face of death.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  9. Underdog17

Underdog17

Then don't. Security is a personal choice.... Yours to make.

10. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Get an alarm and lock your doors and windows:wavey:

11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I agree my friend!

12. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Moats are good for the soul. Start diggin' :wavey:

13. G31

G31 Millennium Member

14. glockaviator

glockaviator

I just don't want to be one of these guys who thinks his manhood and prowess is measured by how many men he has killed, how many animals he has hunted and how many women he has ******. I've met one of those guys and he was a real *******. I will say one thing about him, he had a FORTRESS!!! Man, everything. Concrete walls, metal roof, metal insulated walls. Alarms galore. Not only couldn't a human get in, radio waves and so forth were blocked. He had his own well, generators. This guy was ARMED to the teeth!!!!!

Geez. The reason we spend all this money for defense and police is so we are safe in our homes without having to "self defend".

Let's face it. Most people don't even own a gun and do just fine. And even of those that do, well, not many ever actually shoot anyone. It's pretty rare. I won't say it doesn't happen, it does. Just pretty rare.

But my biggest concern is. I don't want to give up my friends, family and feeling of peace. Heck, I hiked hundreds of miles of wilderness with no gun (wasn't into them at the time and not sure I would have wanted to carry the weight if I was). Did just fine.

No, I just want to shoot my guns now and then. I like it when they go bang. I like hitting the bullseye. And all the variety of guns! Look at all of them! And the history. Maybe go hunting now and then. A reason to get out in the woods. I really don't want to shoot ANYONE. I'm not at war with ANYONE. Live and let live, I say.

Just some thoughts that have been running through my mind. I've gotten my guns out again after them being locked up for years. Just some thoughts.

15. Big_Drunk

Big_Drunk

I don't think GSSF is what the 2nd Amendment is all about. Yes, shooting can be for sport, but alot of people can't wrap their minds around the idea that guns can be for defending yourself or others.

Just because you are prepared to face a threat doesn't mean that you can't be friendly. I'm typically armed when I'm walking around in my daily life, and I like to think that I'm a friendly, even approachable, person. It seems like a bad idea to leave yourself at the mercy of someone who is already making really bad decisions. Your attitude almost seems to be, "Well, this robber is an expert, if I don't throw any salt in his game everything will work out perfectly."

I would love to walk around in condition white all the time and rightfully believe that everyone loves everyone and have one another's best interest at heart. I just don't believe that that's the case in New Orleans, and I think the Metropolitan Crime Commission will back me up on that. In fact, I know of several instances where robbers/criminals purposefully set out to "punish" victims. I have a friend who was robbed, and, after he and his companion turned over about $2000, the robber said, "It don't matter 'cause I'm about to put a bullet in all you bit###s anyway." My friend successfully defended himself with a pistol. I'm not going to elaborate, but the robber is not always just trying to get a fix or putting food on his family's table.

I think it's a great idea to at least have some situational awareness. (e.g. These two guys are paying WAY too much attention to what I'm doing and have now followed me through two turns.) A fortress may be a little strong, but I think it's worth doing to "harden the target" a little bit. Get external lighting and a dog that will make some noise if someone approaches. Install decent quality locks. I believe you owe it to your family to do that much.

I hope for your physical and mental safety. A pistol is just a tool. It doesn't have to change your life philosophy. I'd much rather make a friend than have a fight with someone. I do not desire to shoot anyone. I try to walk in love in my daily life.

16. steve1988

steve1988

I don't think any (sane) person here actually wants to shoot someone. Rather, we try to prepare for life's "what if's." For example, if someone were to intentionally put my life (or the life of a loved one) in danger, then I would be prepared to meet that threat. Do I want this scenario to happen? HELL NO! But not wanting it to happen doesn't prevent it.

17. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Check with your Homeowners insurance carrier, there may be policy exclusions as some carriers see this as a risk and will either non-renew you or deny coverage on a loss.

You can get get bars on your windows *with latches*

With a recent scare I had, I have figured out that you can never be too cautious. Your home is your castle, and you are the king of that castle.....Your duties and obligations are to protect the castle, that being said, do what you dee, is necessary.....If you feel you need to fortress your home, then do it. IT IS YOUR HOME, whatever will help you sleep at night.......thats how I see it.

18. glockman23

glockman23

What he said.

Sounds like you've made up your mind about the whole thing. Why post it? Do you want us to change your mind? :supergrin:

19. Underdog17

Underdog17

Whats your point? Just because someone carries a gun or beefs up his security at his house doesn't make them and egotistical jerk. Just because you've " met one of those guys and he was a real ******* " doesn't mean that's the rule.

Everything in moderation. Balance it out. Make a choice and do whatever you think is right for you.

20. blueiron

blueiron

A few gallons of flammable liquid applied to the ventilation system or an airborne insecticide pumped into the same route and his fortress is little more than a mausoleum.

It is impossible to guard against everything.

Take reasonable precautions, buy top quality locks and doors for your home, use low profile video cameras that record onto a hard drive, and carry a weapon if you feel confident and are willing to use it. Alarms are not really worth the money unless you spend the amounts necessary for a commercial system that is monitored locally.