Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older generation 2 G23. I replaced the recoil spring around the 2000 round mark due to some (3 or 4) failures to fire apparently due to the slide not returning to full battery. The recoil spring replacement was suggested by a Glock armorer. After having replaced the spring, I decided to test the gun by firing 1000 rounds through it without a cleaning or lubrication. I am normally a weapons cleaning fanatic, but I really wanted to test it out.

I fired different types of ammo through the gun, from FMJ rounds to various hollowpoints. At round #896, I had a failure to feed with a Winchester Ranger 155 grain hollowpoint. This was at the end of the third box of this particular round, and I had not fired this ammo previously in this gun.

On the one hand, I think 895 rounds without a cleaning and no malfunctions is pretty good. On the other hand, it's a Glock and I feel should have finished the test with 100% reliabilty.

Something tells me it was the ammo, or maybe the ammo in combination with the dirty weapon that caused the malfunction.

So...should I be disappointed?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Limp wrist..:tongueout:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I didn't think hollowpoints were legal in NJ.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
at the 800 mark, the gun might just be dirty. Especially if you shot target ammo earlier. on another note, i will help get rid of that junk for $200. I can send you my ffl info. just kidding.

keep her.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I didn't think hollowpoints were legal in NJ.
Hollowpoints are legal to possess in the residence, on a range, or en route to and from the range. Not that I agree with the law or anything. Hollowpoints are also legal for LE (and mandated by my agency).

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
at the 800 mark, the gun might just be dirty. Especially if you shot target ammo earlier. on another note, i will help get rid of that junk for $200. I can send you my ffl info. just kidding.

keep her.
Yeah I think I will hold on to her for a while. :cool:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Relax there friend. I am looking to hear some opinions and have a little discussion about Glocks.

No harm no foul. Correct?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
4949 Shooter,

I'm no expert, in fact I'm far from it, but I'd think if the G23 was to blame you'd have seen a misfire long before getting through 895 rounds. I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the range, so I'd clean and lube the G23 and try it again.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I don't think I'd be disappointed with 1 failure to feed in 896 rounds. It could have been ANYTHING but probably ammo related. I was devastated the first time I had a malfunction but after I started to really look at what caused it, it was just a bad reload. My Glock 21, while not a high round count, is nearing 3,000 rounds in just 18 months. Nearly ever one of those 3,000 has been in IDPA or some sort of rapid-firing situation and during some very hot and cold days at the range. I've had 1 stovepipe, 1 failure to eject and 1 failure to feed. The stovepipe was a limp wrist on my part, the FTE was a round that had gunk around the rim and it just was stuck in the extractor and the FTF was a round that was bulged too much for probably even a 12 gauge to feed. Don't lose heart, just know that anything can fail but as others have said, if it were a gun issue it would have appeared long before you got past round #850.

Oh, and yeah I'll take that piece of junk 23 off your hands and dispose of it for you...least I could do for a friend. And any ammo you don't want, too.

·
Registered
11,033 Posts
Were you concentrating on form and execution exactly the same way each and every time you pulled the trigger? If not, you might have had a moment when your grip on the pistol was a bit weak.

And it might be the ammo too. Even "premium" ammunition has been known to be off-spec. Since you're a "clean fanatic" normally I wouldn't let one mishap cause a lot of grief for a pistol that has been so reliable.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks dusty i think I will hold on to it for a while. :wavey:

Come to think of it I was firing as some fire Glocks by letting the trigger out just far enough to reset it and then squeezing again. This could have altered my grip somewhat, though I don't think it should have caused a malfunction? My 15 year old son was firing the gun also with the same ammo, as we were taking turns. Obviously, he didn't have a malfunction.

Perhaps it was the dirt, ammo, as well as the form? :dunno:

The Winchester 155 grain is a truncated hollowpoint, and is probably not the best in the world for feeding.

Not to make a big deal of it, but I have read here of people firing thousands of rounds through Glock pistols without a cleaning, and without a malfunction.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
One FTF in that many isn't bad considering the oil had probably dried up by that point. But the one area that Glocks are sensitive to gunk buildup is the insides of the slide, particularly around the extractor. Maybe the extractor has gunk built up around it.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The extractor doesn't look to bad voyager.

The hollowpoint hung up on the feed ramp.

·
Banned
2,733 Posts
Not knowing anything about your shooting abilities, I would suspect it was due to some limp-wristing in combination with "snappy" lightweight ammo. If the FTF occurred towards the end of the range session perhaps you were just getting tired making it more likely to limp-wrist. I wouldn't be concerned but I certainly wouldn't carry that ammo for defense either.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Roger that on the ammo. I had been carrying this particular round in my G27. Now I am carrying the SXT 180 grain bullet.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I've carried an issued Glock 35 for the last 10 years or so, disturbingly reliable.
So, I bought a Glock 23 for an off duty gun. Could not get it to run reliably, no matter what I did. Sold it. Waited awhile, bought another, same story. We are talking about one jam, usually feedramp, every 200 rounds or so. Sold it, tried a third time. Still not what I expected of a carry gun.

I was being concious NOT to have a firm grip, locked wrist for every shot. In my opinion, any gun that requires a perfect grip, locked wrist etc is not a viable defense gun for me. I can't stop a Glock 35 no matter what I do. The 23? I can pretty much jam it on demand by loosening my grip and being "sloppy" with it.

Bought a Glock 19. I can't make it stop, no matter what I do.

For me, the Glock 23 is the most prone to have a malfunction. The size, the weight, the way I shoot, whatever, I'll pass on that one model.

All of our plainclothes people are issued the 23. From what I have seen at the range, they are more prone to malfunctions than the Glock 35. Now, is it because the uniform folks are a little more concious of there grip? Better maintenance? More practice than the Detectives? Don't know, but, my personal experience bears out what I see at qualifications.

I could live with one malfunction every 800 rounds. I think it was just a blip on the radar screen, if it works for you and, you are happy with it, I think you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts