Should I adjust the crimp die as cases shorten with multiple firings?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock21sf-miami, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I have been loading .45 acp and I wanted to find out if I should adjust the crimp on the crimp/seater die as the cases get a bit shorter...

2. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

how are you managing to effectively shorten a case after firing? The cases should be lengthening if anything....... Right?

3. Power Pistol Pete

Power Pistol Pete

Most semi-auto cartridges headspace on the case mouth... after repeated firings they will shorten. I reload my 9mm cases about 15 times before discarding, checking carefully towards the end for splits or defects. I've never given any more crimp to 'shorter' cases & haven't experienced any problems.

4. gasboffer

gasboffer

.45 ACP cases will shorten after multiple firings, faster with heavier loads.
    The Rim will also expand till it won't go into the shell holder. That's an indication that it's time to junk them.
    Clyde

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

As the case gets shorter it also gets flared less. So it ussually balances out.

6. hoffy

hoffy

I usually will jam a loaded case into the side of the bench and then measure if the bullet has set back. I notice how much force is needed to crimp the bullet,this is why when running a progressive I always run the first few through one at a time to make sure things are set up correctly, especially the powder measure. I also often have the barrel(for pistols, load around 30 different calibers and don't buy cartridge gauges) ,but not always , on the bench to see if the cartridge fits ok. What causes me to adjust the crimp die more than anything is I usually don't sort brass by headstamp, and I run the die sown till it crimps the thinnest cases. I have some cases that have been fired so many times you can't read the head stamp very well, as long as I get good bullet pull I use them. I do not use such brass in a progressive. If I am going for accuracy rather than plinking I will sort brass. I find I can hit my 3/4 size IPSC metal plate at 50 yards with mixed brass without difficulty. But for bulls eye I will sort and sometimes weigh brass. The load I use most is 45acp with Dupont 5066 with a 170 gr cast. That powder was discontinued in the '60s but I have pounds of the stuff(literally bought a station wagon load of reloading stuff in the 80s, including a Star Progressive and there were about 15-20 pounds of this powder, and several H&G 4 cavity molds and buckets of brass and too much to mention:supergrin:) and it shows no signs of breaking down.

7. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Thanks for your posts guys. I am trying to keep and load from one or two batches at a time because I find I frequently need to adjust the powder measure. I am on the third and fourth reloads on the ones I'm using right now.

I won't touch my crimp for now...

I was planning on trying to get 15 loadings out of each batch tossing out what doesn't look good.