Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NRA-Endow. Life
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going over a possibility of getting a new bolt action hunting rifle, but allowed myself the posibility of getting something AR based.

I have several ARs in differing configurations(all 5.56) and am wondering if I should buy a complete 6.8 upper or just the barrel assembly and switch out the barrels on one of my uppers.

I can buy a Stag or RRA complete upper for around $600 or less and just keep the 5.56 upper. How do those uppers rate?

Also, I can buy a barrel assembly from Bushy, DPMS, etc for @$300+. I know a couple other folks sell 6.8 barrels, but the barrels are pricy(Daniel Defense, etc). So, if I go this route, will the DPMS be ok for a light duty use gun(maybe 20 rounds a year)?

Would it be worth my while to see if someone would be willing to trade out a 6.8mm for a 14.5"(pinned FH) 5.56mm upper.

I kinda like the 6.8 spc, but I would really rather have one in the Remington .30 AR round. Unfortunately, I have only been able to find complete uppers in this and they are somewhat more expensive than the 6.8.

So, I am in a quandry and this post really may not make good sense, but if you can figure it out, what would your advice be?

Thanks,
Rod

·
Premium Member
42,248 Posts
I love my 6.8 SPC II!

However, I built mine. I left the .223/5.56 behind. 6.8 is a great hunting round,
think .30'30 in an AR15 platform. But, it is rather accurate to 300m

·
NRA-Endow. Life
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, airplane wrench, what is your 6.8 SPC?

Went to arfcom and found a little bit more info. One vendor apparently has well respected 6.8 uppers and barrels. Also, apparently you dont want too much longer of a barrel than 16 or 18".

Rod

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'd go 300aac blackout. Good performance in an AR and near infinite possibilities w/ .308 projectiles in a bolt-action

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
one grendel to rule them all....
Yea because only a king can afford the grendel's price tag.

6.8 is a fun round, I've shot it before. It's definitely a good round, I was making shots on spinner targets out to 300 yards with an eo-tech. The only problem was that it sometimes went through the spinners(.223 rated). I'd love to get one, but can't justify it.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
I'd go 300aac blackout. Good performance in an AR and near infinite possibilities w/ .308 projectiles in a bolt-action
This would get my vote.

Yea because only a king can afford the grendel's price tag.

6.8 is a fun round, I've shot it before. It's definitely a good round, I was making shots on spinner targets out to 300 yards with an eo-tech. The only problem was that it sometimes went through the spinners(.223 rated). I'd love to get one, but can't justify it.
According to TFB, AA just gave up the rights to Grendel, and SAAMI has standardized it. Maybe we will see the cost start dropping and availability going up soon.

·
AAAMAD
33,190 Posts
I've got a SPR MK12Mod0 in 6.8.

Its a decidedly fun gun, and capable for black bear, or caribou, and anything in the lower 48 short of elk.

With my PEQ and NVG's it was a riot on my last hog hunt.

I wouldn't buy a 300 BLKOUT or 6.5 over a 6.8 mostly because of the wide variety of available ammo for the 6.8. Though it could very shortly become a different situation, its not at present.

·
Holster Maker
1,787 Posts
I've got both and the 6.8 really beats the 300BLK if you plan on taking shots longer than 200 yards.

My Noveske Recon 16" 6.8spc upper shoots sub-moa at 300 yards(2.7") if I do my part.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
This would get my vote.

According to TFB, AA just gave up the rights to Grendel, and SAAMI has standardized it. Maybe we will see the cost start dropping and availability going up soon.
Interesting. The thing I've always liked about the 6.5 is the bullet availability and the long range performance. However the price was in excess of what they were offering.

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
Interesting. The thing I've always liked about the 6.5 is the bullet availability and the long range performance. However the price was in excess of what they were offering.
According to the same post, there will soon be AKs being built in 6.5, as well. The info comes from a post on ARFCOM, so take that for what you will.

·
Premium Member
42,248 Posts
Ok, airplane wrench, what is your 6.8 SPC?
Quentin Defense, AR15Chatterbox.com, slick side billet upper
- BCM bolt carrier, ITS Superbolt
- Bison Armory 16" stainless Recon profile 6.8 SPC barrel
- JP Enterprises VTAC tube
- Wilson Combat Accu-Tac flash hider
- Leupold glass
- Larue mount
- Troy flip up back up sights

Quentin Defense, AR15Chatterbox.com billet lower
- Timney 4# skeleton trigger
- Daniel Defense lower parts
- MagPul MIAD grip
- MagPul UBR stock
- Larue two-point, QD sling
- Barrett mags

·
owl protector
2,157 Posts
It definitely puts a good sized whole in a hog. With a suppressor the thump on impact sounds closer to a .308 than a .223. Only negative is ammo price. from looking at dead hogs I don't see a benefit over 7.63x39. Just my experience.

·
AAAMAD
33,190 Posts
I dunno, I see a substantial benefit over x39, in accuracy, energy, and ballistics once you move past point blank range.

·
NRA Life Member
5,172 Posts
I am debating if I should get complete upper in 6.8... hmmm... decisions, decisions....

·
owl protector
2,157 Posts
Admittedly we do shoot hogs from close up, and I cannot comment on the reliability of 7.62x39 mags for an AR because I was commenting on performance from an AK. I assumed the results would be the same from an AR in that caliber. 6.8 definitely puts the whop on a hog though. Then again I have killed more than I can count with .223. Helps to live on a ranch in east Texas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts