Should felons be allowed to own guns?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by slackercruster, Oct 13, 2020.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster

Born L.A. - NYC 2nd Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
    AOL said that Barrett was asked about felons owning guns at the confirmation hearings. Are the reps for or against felons owning guns?

I never thought about this subject at all, except whenever I buy a gun I think I'm glad I am not a felon. So am open to this discussion pro and con. I also think the same thing with a dishonorable discharge on the gun form. Glad it does not apply to me.

What is your verdict?

Should felons be allowed to own guns? And might as well throw in the dishonorable discharge people. Should they be allowed to own guns?

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  2. 1cm

1cm

ACB opined in a case a non violent felon should not have his firearms rights permanently taken away.

treg, pjanthony, UncleDave and 19 others like this.

3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

If they are safe to release back into the word, they should be allowed to have their rights. But we need to stop letting them free if they aren't safe. The revolving prison doors need closed. And violence isn't really the kicker. You can have a rap sheet for very mild violence. And you can steal billions of dollars and ruin countless lives but be considered nonviolent.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I'm no judge, but think there is a difference in potential threats to public between a drug dealing gang-banger and a tax cheat.

pjanthony, badge315, pspez and 27 others like this.
  5. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

Does it really matter? They have no respect for the law in the first place so what's keeping them from having a firearm?

pjanthony, hogship, bgreed and 8 others like this.
  6. Terry G

Terry G

I was violently opposed to Felons having firearms, but there are FELONS and there are felons. A guy takes a bribe counting fish for the Fed's. 38 Months FPC. A guy buy's an illegal Butterfly at a swap meet. 6 months FPC. Both are Felons for life. Strike you as a bit unfair? Both true, incidentally.

badge315, pspez, pipedreams and 5 others like this.
  7. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Agree with FullClip. I really think it depends on the nature of the offence. Anyone who a felon because of violence with/without a gun should not be allowed to possess. But I imagine there are lots of people in jail due to "white collar" non violent offences who would not be a danger to society if they owned a gun once released.

badge315, pspez, Willard and 2 others like this.
  8. JK-linux

JK-linux

The conundrum... a felon who would choose to not own a gun because it's against the law to do so, probably isn't a problem. The ones who are the problem don't care if it's against the law. If they can't be trusted with a gun, then they can't be trusted, and probably shouldn't be on the outside at all.

pjanthony, badge315, pspez and 13 others like this.
  9. Gokyo

Gokyo

I think all people have a right protect themselves.

This right to self protection must be balanced against the public good. So I think there are violent people who we should consider removing their right to self protection in the interests of the public good.

Bomber Nav, camelsfly, 10or45 and 2 others like this.
  10. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Once they have done their sentence and fulfilled all conditions they have “paid their debt to society”. If that price was sufficient will always be a contentious point but that’s another issue. So yes, if they have fulfilled their sentence and no other prohibitive conditions exist and they petition for return of rights as prescribed by law.

treg, pjanthony, EdTracker and 13 others like this.
  11. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Catch-22 question.

As an originalist, she (I hope) would believe that the 2A guarantees the RKBA to 'the people,' and a person who has served their prison sentence and 'paid their debt to society' is part of 'the people.' So the 1968 GCA imposes an unconstitutional life sentence deprivation of a fundamental right.

If she says this out loud, then *cue the outraged talking heads* "OMG Amy Coney Barrett wants felons to have guns!!!! Outrageous!!! Crazy!!! Dangerous!!!"

On the other hand, if she says the 1968 GCA ban on felons possessing firearms is okey-dokey, then she isn't really an originalist.

Ironically, Democrats do want felons to vote.

pjanthony, badge315, hogship and 10 others like this.
  12. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

When you are convicted of a felony, you loose some right NON Felons do have. Those loss of rights are part of your punishment.

Maybe that is something to ponder, but for now it is law. Of land.

Retired Military Member convicted of a Felony, sare NOT allow on some military bases to use BX, PX, or Commissary's.

hogship, pipedreams and n2g like this.
  13. peng

peng

Felonies encompass a wide spectrum of offenses, many of which are non violent and seem like they should have nothing to do with the ability to own a firearm.

treg, badge315, pspez and 9 others like this.
  14. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Overcriminalization of ordinary activities.

Gun laws. Legal in one state but felony in another.

15. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

Non-violent felons should get their rights back when their debt has been paid. Violent felons should have a path to restore rights, but not automatic.

Example: If a guy is 18 and slaps his girlfriend or something like that. Then cleans up his act and at 30 is living a model life. I don't see any reason he shouldn't be able to get his rights back.

I do think there are cases where someone could not be a candidate for life in prison, but legal possession of a firearm isn't a good idea.

16. Wojo88

Wojo88

Perhaps we should be asking the felons in Chicago who shoot it out every weekend what they think. According to democrats felons are using gun show loop holes and other sneeky means to possess a gun. So at this point is the question even relevant today? Personally no, I do not think its right since the laws are already on the books that say it is against the law.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Sure they should.

If anybody ever gets serious about having convicted felons act like good citizens once they complete their sentences, the first step would be to take away the disabilities and actually give them the same rights as citizens once they complete their sentences.

I'd say once your sentence is over, you're just like anybody else. I would not prohibit employers from holding your record against you, but I wouldn't impose any blanket disabilities by law.

If your argument is that they are too dangerous to be trusted, then they should still be in prison. If they are not too dangerous to trust on the street, with a car, a vote, etc., then they are not too dangerous to have a gun.

Felons are already allowed to have guns, unless they get caught and convicted.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  18. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

No for all felons is pretty good for me. You don’t like it don’t commit the crime.

hogship and glock collector like this.
  19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

It's hard to predict what people will do. Especially recidivists.

[​IMG]

n2g and snerd like this.
  20. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I tend to agree. And I helped send a lot of folks to prison.
    Maybe all time/sentence completed plus two years would be enough loss of voting and gun rights. Non violent only.