Shotshell Reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Gokyo, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Wyoming

Wyoming

When it comes to shotguns buy a 12 gauge if you don't reload. You can buy 20 gauge and 12 gauge shell for the same price but you get more bang for the bucks with a 12 gauge. Also you get a bigger selection of options. I grew up in Ohio and at that time was only allowed to use shotguns for rabbits to deer. (It was legal to use 22 rifle on squirrels then but used shotgun anyway).

I still have my MEC 600 Jr in 12 gauge that my Mom bought me for Christmas when I was in high school. It cost $34 plus $15 for the optional primer feeder. Back then there was no Wal Mart or bulk ammo so I loaded Winchester 12 AA using Red Dot. A case was 500 rounds then also.

Today I like to shoot five station sporting clays and some trap at our local county range. Just for fun. Most people in Wyoming own guns but not shotguns. Most of the people I shoot shotguns with are not originally from Wyoming. For many years I used a 12 gauge and still do occasionally. I only use store bought ammo for that because I can't reload 12 gauge for that.

I like the 28 gauge. I learned that if I am on a 28 gauge is all I need. If not it doesn't matter what I use. If you shoot factory new 28 gauge you will pay $10 and up for a box of 25. That is 40 cents and up per shoot. By loading I get my cost down to 20 cents a round.

Since I am going through all the "trouble" to reload I might as well go for it. I use Pro Reach and get 1425 fps! This is one bushing down size because I was getting 1485 fps. I may not have a lot of BB's at 3/4 oz of shot but at that velocity if I get one pellet hit I will get a visible piece.

I could do the same thing with Pro Reach in a 12 gauge but the recoil would add up. Right now I am at 44 magnum recoil level per shot in a six pound O/U. I can handle that.

BTW I got out my old MEC 600 Jr in 12 gauge and loaded up some really reduced OO buck loads for my sister in law's 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. You got to love the 12 gauge versatility.

I made this for her. I cut down the barrel and stock to fit her. Put a thick recoil pad. It replaced her 410 single shot house gun.

Neldon and Lagamor like this.
  2. Wyoming

Wyoming

For some reason I am having trouble posting pictures to the above post so here it is plus some more.

3. Wyoming

Wyoming

Well lets try it again.

4. Wyoming

Wyoming

Last attempt.

Toni gun.JPG
    toni 4.JPG toni 3.JPG

nitesit(+ an e) and flyover like this.
  5. Lagamor

Lagamor

I love shooting Sporting Clays. Way better than punching holes in paper any day.
    Primers for shotshell didn’t disappear and I can still get them, but I’m already sitting on a few thousand.

FullClip likes this.
  6. Wyoming

Wyoming

I too have found that sporting clays are fun. I get to shoot twice a week at five dollars per 25. Five station is similar to trap five shooting station except we have up to nine different clay throwers to pick from. Add the Wyoming wind and you have to adjust. Never the same.

My Wife likes it that it full fills my need to shoot shotguns at moving targets. If I had to shoot live birds It would cost per pound of BB filled meat a lot of $$$$ making our Kentucky Fried Chicken a bargain.

I also shoot a lot of rifles and handguns and don't mind punching holes in paper to test reloads/handloads but after that I like steel plates and varmints. I also like to just plink and will use unbroken clay birds that I get from the shotgun range. Biodegradable :innocent:

Lagamor likes this.
  7. jmorris

jmorris

I don’t recall having ever seen anyone using a 550 or LNL for loading shotgun. Would be easiest to have one load .410 than anything else.

That said, the last MEC 600 jr, I got was free. Shotshell presses don’t hold their value very well. Look for used ones before buying new.

Lagamor and flyover like this.
  8. flyover

flyover

I used to go to the gun actions when they had shotshell loaders on the bill. Most always they were antient Mec's that had been stripped down for one reason or another. It was easier for me to buy new but that was before the net started up. The ones I see listed on the local web pages, and again generally a Mec, they want a premium for them.

9. Lagamor

Lagamor

I think Used Hornady 366’s are the best deal. Just do you research so you know what to look for, like missing or broken part. You can still get them in the $200-350 neighborhood. They are built like tanks.

10. flyover

flyover

The single stage loaders serve me quite well. I load buckshot and slugs, the progressives don't work well for that.

Wyoming likes this.
  11. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

A 20GA is a smaller, lighter gun (for the most part), so that is one good reason someone might choose 20GA over 12GA. "Bang for your buck" isn't always what things are about.

12. Gokyo

Gokyo

Just bought a used MEC Grabber.

It is so much better than the Pacific 105.

I really love it.

Thanks for the heads up.

13. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I also reload buckshot shells and it is so much easier to do on a single stage press.And when I want to load some birdshot, all I have to do is install the bottle full of shot. My 12 gauge MEC 600 Jr sits idle while I have used the heck out of my 410 MEC 600 Jr over the last 3 decades.

flyover and FullClip like this.
  14. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

You do know you can load one round at a time on any progressive press.

15. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

Yes I do. But why spend the money when the MEC 600 Jr does everything I need. Now if I was serious in skeet competition I would get a progressive press.

flyover likes this.
  16. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

I used to shoot some trap, and I had a few friends that shot thousands of registered clays, (if I remember the verbiage correctly), a year. I knew of no one with anything but MEC. I love my Dillon for handgun reloading, but I never saw one in that group of friends.

17. flyover

flyover

I did not know that. I don't load enough shotshells to justify the cost of a progressive. I don't think buckshot and slugs play well with a progressive loader either!

18. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

As said, .410 and 28 are no-brainers. But I load 3/4 oz 12s and 5/8 oz 20s for youth events. Also use the 3/4 oz 12s and 20s for 5-stand, 16 yd, or skeet. Not many targets can't be broken by a 28 ga payload. Give up a few targets over a day or course, but they're soft and there is a modest cost saving.

Neldon likes this.
  19. utah

utah

Been loading 12, 20 and 28’s on a Dillon 900 for 25 years or more, they are particular in that they only like one type of hull at a time (AA, STS, Federal, etc.)…start mixing them and you will have issues. I’ve been loading with it for 25+ years, it’s a great press, the weakest link to really cranking out shells is the powder hopper…holds just under 1 lb., but UniqueTek makes an adapter the allows the use of the entire powder jug or if you don’t want to go that route, they make a taller hopper. Like Samuel, I load ¾ oz. for 12 and 20 and have no problem hitting what I aim at…16yrd trap, skeet or 5 stand, sporting takes a larger payload.