Shotshell Loading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Taterhead, Jul 19, 2019.

1. flyover

flyover

Several years ago I had decided to learn how to assemble buckshot loads. I was discussing this with a gentleman that had a high end golliwog Ponsness Warren reloader and he stated that his machine was shearing the buckshot. I told him I was placing the double ought in the shell by hand.

I got a "look" from him.

Taterhead likes this.
  2. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Gentlemen, appreciate the replies. My question is about the types of hulls to look for for 12ga 2 3/4". Be it range pickups (my favorite range hosts a lot of 3 gun, etc so hulls are laying around everywhere) or a deal on "once fired".

Like with metallic reloading, I'm sure there are hulls worth picking up, and those best left on the ground. I do also understand that load data is very specific to type of hull and wad.

G19 DB likes this.

3. G19 DB

G19 DB

Sorry!

I started out on Lee Load-All (12ga, 16ga, & 20ga). They have two sets of data on their load sheets (plastic wad base or no base wad (such as Win AA). I've used them all. Paper are a favorite, as well as AA, but I've loaded even the ultra cheap shells with no difficulty.

Taterhead likes this.
  4. G19 DB

G19 DB

COUNTYGUARDIAN and Taterhead like this.
  5. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I have been told you can reload any hull you find on the ground. Some you may want to load only once, maybe twice. The win AA, Rem STS and such you can reload multiple times. Don't hold me on this as the truth.
    I was shooting Clever mirage (Italian) one day when a guy asked if I was going to pick up my hulls. I told him he was welcome to them and that I was surprised he wanted them. This was cheap ammo the club sold at $6 a box. He commented he rather liked them and that they reloaded well, but he left them on the ground after the second reload.

6. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I have two. One will never be fired again. I've considered seeing if Cracker Barrel is interested in it for one of their restaurants. The other is a family gun with a busted stock. Some day, I'll fix the stock and try it out, but with some very light loads. Love the old doubles.

G19 DB likes this.
  7. flyover

flyover

In my area, if they are leaving hulls on the ground they hulls have been shot out and are no longer of use.

Collo Rosso and Taterhead like this.
  8. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

The 3 gun guys in my area are pretty much all shooting factory shotshell ammo.

9. jmorris

jmorris

If you can get a 55 gallon drum of AA’s that would be nice.

I try and avoid the Steel base ones and stick with brass or the old Activ shells I still have from the ‘80’s.

The only thing to keep in mind is that shot shells are not like reloading metallic rounds where mixed brass isn’t much of an issue. I stick with one specific hull per load.

gjarcher and Taterhead like this.
  10. utah

utah

You cannot load any hull you find on the ground, shotgun is NOT like metallic where you only need bullet weight and powder (basically). Shotgun is hull, wad, powder and charge weight specific …some hulls are tapered and some straight. To answer your question, stay with Winchester AA they last longer and are pretty much the “gold” standard of hulls. Purchase during the Winchester rebate from a local club for around $70 per case, mail rebate in and get $20 back, probably won’t find many AA’s on the ground, although it does happen. I have some that have been loaded 10 times or more…they still crimp and hold shot, other than that they don’t look real good. You can save money on loading if you purchase EVERYTHING in bulk…my yearly purchase is…64lb powder, 25k primers, 25k wads and shot by the ton. I load 12, 20, 28 and 410. My #1 load is 3/4oz 12ga that I use for pretty much all shooting sports…I own anything inside of 30 yards I own with it, if I do my part.

happie2shoot, Lagamor and Taterhead like this.
  11. norton

norton

I purchased a Mec Sizemaster a few years ago because I grew up reloading shot shells on a Mec Jr. Back then most hulls were paper. Its not really cost effective to load (12 gauge) but I just enjoy it. I shoot clay pigeons on occasion, and that's where I burn up my reloads. BTW, I can find hulls in the trash barrels at my local club after Saturday Night Trap shoots.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook. Its full of "recipes".

Taterhead likes this.
  12. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Yes. Understood.

I've left some on the ground myself over the years -- DERP!

Yeah, I've noticed many ads for guys selling everything and getting out of it. Recently, some unbelievable deals in a couple Craigslist ads in the area. Didn't last long, of course.

13. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Good advice. I do have a copy that I'm beginning to digest.

14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Remington STS are my favorites. In that line, Gun Clubs load identically to STS, last a few cycles less, but work fine. Nitros again are the same hull as an STS (same recipe).

From brand to brand you can have differences in wads need (some hulls are straight, some tapered, etc.). AA's are top quality as well.

Taterhead likes this.
  15. Lagamor

Lagamor

If you are picking up a deal on shot, ask them about any wads they have.
    Shotshell reloading is much more reliant on having matching components than metallic reloading.
    Wads have to match shotshell.
    Remington and Winchester shells are the best.

FullClip and Taterhead like this.
  16. gjarcher

gjarcher Captain USN ret.

For range pickup, which can be pretty dirty, I only pickup plastic hulls with plastic base wads, either molded in or pressed in. Since, I wash range pickups in soap and water, I don't fuss with or trust paper hulls or plastic hulls with paper base wads.

Winchester and Federals are my preferred. But, if there is a good number of Remington, Herters, etc. plastic hulls with plastic base wads, I'll pick them up, too. Plastic hulls can be loaded until they won't take a secure crimp on the shot.

I agree with the above ^^^^ Also, don't mix and match wads just because they are both for the same shot charge weight ... pressures may vary!

One exception, I pickup any 12ga 3" plastic hulls I find ... but prefer Federals ... including ones with paper base wads that are clean and appear to be once fired. These I don't wash, just dry brush, inspect for base wad integrity, and load.

Taterhead likes this.
  17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I am trying to remember but there is a shotgun forum with tons of reloading information in that sub forum.

Found it:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/

Taterhead likes this.
  18. Lagamor

Lagamor

^ Best shotgun website I go to. You can also go to Trapshooters.com, lotta go people there, but they drop the ban hammer like no other site I’ve ever been to.

19. prairieviper

prairieviper Legendary Lawman

I haven't shot any of the clay target games for a couple of years but I used to be a serious trap and sporting clays shooter and always reloaded my own shells. My main machine is a Hornady 366 progressive reloader that is currently set up for Remington STS hulls. I have also used Winchester AA in the past with good results.

I do like reloading and despite what some say, if you are thrifty and look for deals on components, you can still save a lot of money reloading (no, I don't factor in my time).

WeeWilly and Taterhead like this.
  20. Lagamor

Lagamor

You can save money using reclaimed lead, but make sure you get it from a reputable person and choke up one tighter.
    You can also save money loading 12 and 20 gauge, but you have to reload “rare” loads, like 7/8 oz in 12 gauge.
    A lotta of us that do reload, do so because we can modify our loads to exactly what we need. Remember that shotgun recoil has a cumulative effect on you body. You can only take so much recoil on your shoulder before your body is done shooting. No need for 1,300 fps you won’t break anymore clays anyways.
    I’be been chasing 1 oz at 1,050 fps but I just haven’t found the right powder yet. Little too light for Clays powder.