shotguns

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by youngtacshooter, Jun 8, 2005.

1. youngtacshooter

youngtacshooter

What do you think is a good semi-auto shotgun for the money? I never been duck hunting before so what do I need to get? Thanks for any replies.

2. youngtacshooter

youngtacshooter

Are the benelli super black eagle II any good? How much do they cost?

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I don't own a semi-shotgun. Have been wanting one something bad. I have several friends who I hunt with that own them. Out of all of them they have the guns pretty much covered. They are all good guns except the two people I know who own the Mossberg 935 arn't the happiest.

I would look around try them on for size and see which ones you like. I like the SBE II but it is way out of my price range, about $1200 +. I also like the Browning Gold ( $800) and the Stoeger 200 ($500)

Watch out! Duck hunting is additctive. I just started two years ago and am hooked! ;)

4. noway

noway

I boughht a Benelli field M1 model and have used it for ducks and squirrels and a few other flying animals. It's a recoil operated like the SBE but comes with a 3" chamber. SBE is a great gun, but you should look at the M2 model unless you think you might need a 3.5" chamber weapon. The M2 is cheaper, I would also reccommend you to look at the Extrema SG from Beretta. It's a very nice shotgun and if you shop around you might get it cheaper than the SBE. Bothe models have alot of accesories and chokes avl and they are interchangeable.

So ask yourself what do you need a 3" magnum or 3.5" supermagnum semi-auto and then decide after you handle the different models and looked at the price tag, to see what you need.

5. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

I like the Berettas because they have the most simplest/robust gas system…

I’m not much into the 3-1/2” shotties because my shotguns do more then just waterfowling… 3-1/2 inchers are big & heavy!

I’m not into the inertia operated shotguns (Benelli & etc.) either as they tend to have problems with lighter practice loads… I’ve seen them freeze up to in our cold weather late season waterfowl hunting too… not an issue at all if you shoot nothing but the stronger loads & don’t hunt in freezing conditions. (I hear that the 3” Benellis do a lot better with the lighter loads though.)

6. tjpet

tjpet

Remington, Browning, and Beretta gas guns all work well. I've owned and hunted with all three and except for minor cosmetic differences they're about the same.

The Beretta will go the longest between cleanings but when you do get to that point it's a PITA to take down and put back together.

Right now I'm using a Benelli SuperSport. It's the finest auto I've ever owned. Lightweight yet well balanced it's a joy to swing on upland birds or waterfowl. The gun will function with all but the lightest 7/8oz. handloads and has gutted it out with me in a -15 degree sleet/snow covered goose blind. As there's no gas system to get dirty the gun will literally run forever without cleaning. I've got a bit over 3000 rounds through the piece and except for cleaning the choketubes, wiping off the bolt face, and a shot of lube in the appropriate places it keeps on going.

7. das028

das028

Benelli IMO is the finest auto out on the market today. I use a SBE for anything and everything, from dove to duck. The M1 is also a good choice. I just wanted a 3 1/2 incher for the hell of it. I probably will never need a shoot 31/2 inch shell, but I still have it if I need it. My SBE has cycled everything I have fed it as well. Great gun IMO. By the way Michigun, the SBE are not at all big and heavy.

8. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

If you're referring that the SBE is lighter then most 3" gas 12-gauges you're right, but if ya compare the SBE to the 3" BE then by all means the SBE is bigger & heavier then its 3" counterpart, no?

9. das028

das028

Very true. The M1 field is a ver light shotgun, great for upland.

10. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

11. noway

noway

{ If you're referring that the SBE is lighter then most 3" gas 12-gauges you're right, but if ya compare the SBE to the 3" BE then by all means the SBE is bigger & heavier then its 3" counterpart, no? }

Okay I just looked at benelli and beretta sites and the heaviest SBE weighs in at 7.3 and the lightest was 7.1

On berettausa site, the Xtrema2 ( a like model ) is guess what ?
    http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/sbe2-specs.tbl
    heavier at 7.8lbs

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_field_guns_main.htm

You have to factor in the gas tube design normally heavier than a recoil bolt action or that my 2ct opinion.
    Neither of the 2 models above are liteweights but than again they aren't too heavier either. I think personally that beretta made the best semi-auto and will even go as far as to say the best gas-operation on the market.

I shoot one of these awhile back at a skeet range when Beretta Reps came out to promoteit for field hunters and I almost bought one. I f I could sell my M1 field and afford the $1,100 dollar price tag I would go down to BasPro in my area and buy it.

btw: the M1 field is under 6lbs for the most part and the M2 is between the 2 models and a few are right at 7.1lbs

12. youngtacshooter

youngtacshooter

I just recently shot a beretta AL391 Urika Sporting Optima at some clays and loved it. The price is a little bit high but its a really good gun. Does anybody know about them,what weather they can handle? I can shoot that beretta better then the remington 870 wingmaster or 870 youth 20 gauge shotgun. thanks for the replies guys.

13. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun CLM

14. das028

das028

15. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

How? It's made on the same machinery.

16. das028

das028

Dont get me wrong, Stoegor makes a good shotgun for the money, But have you actually compared a Stoegor and a Benelli together and actually shot one. Big difference in in the slickness of their action, and the finish is much better on a Benelli. But thats the difference in a thousand dollar gun and a four hundred dollar gun.

17. noway

noway

true they are the same gun for the most part. Just a big difference in $$$ tag and I do believd the pats are not interchangeable between the benelli.

18. das028

das028

When choosing a quality shotgun its best to stick with the three B's

Beretta, Browning, and Benelli

19. noway

noway

also add the R & M if you want a non-italian usa made. Cheap don't always means cheap YMMV.

I love Italian foods, Italians cars, hot italian chicks and italian guns.;)

20. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I hunted with a Remington 870 for 10 years. I owned a Benelli for a month or two, and didn't really like it. It was nice, but not very reliable with lighter loads and the recoil was pretty heavy compared to gas operated shotguns.

I then switched to a Beretta 391 and I love it. It's really light and really fast, fits me well, and is extremely reliable. I load up the dog and chase pheasant and quail once or twice per week all season long. I have fired more than 1000 rounds in the last two years, split about 60/40 between practice and hunting. I've hunted in temperatures down well below freezing and up around 100 degrees, and in rain, snow and dust. I had two malfunctions in the first 20 rounds, and never again. I've only cleaned it twice. Recoil is very light. I really, really like my Beretta 391.