Shotgun's don't suck for home defense!

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Big Bird, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHHgjaR0TI

But we all know that...

Thought his demonstration on "overpenetration" (no such thing IMO)vs an AR was spot on and demonstrated the futility of trying to choose a "safe" gun for HD... My opinion has always been its not a problem you solve with the gun in your hand or the type of ammunition on the chamber...you solve it with tactics and planning.

In any case...Paul makes great points in his video.

Rankor, Will-21, deputy tom and 5 others like this.
  2. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

From another thread:
    A notorious pedophile has been found dead by police after he was shot dead during the attempted rape of a 12-year old girl at a property in Morgantown, West Virginia. The 42-year old mother of the girl told investigators that she woke in the early hours of the morning after hearing a commotion in her daughters room. She grabbed a shotgun from her closet and rushed to her daughter’s room, where she was confronted by the sight of an unidentified man attempting struggling with her daughter. Startled, the man turned around to face the mother, at which point she fired directly into his face, blowing off most of his head. The rapist – a 53 year old sex offender known to police for a series of crimes on young victims – died instantly.
    I'd say that was pretty effective.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Gotta love Harrell's videos. My only complaint is that he doesn't do more of them.

4. curtmini14

curtmini14

i like pauls vids and the mini 12 gauge shells they work well for me.

janice6 likes this.
  5. Cambo

Cambo

This story has made my month.

6. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Paul Harrell is great in presenting the material. He lets the viewer make their own opinion based on his presentation. He doesn't lead the viewer toward his point of view as so many others do.

CAcop, MacMilly and deputy tom like this.
  7. ACE31

ACE31

Agreed he is a breath of fresh air considering you tube is full of neck beard wanna be's.

CAcop and Rock2411 like this.
  8. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

I have never heard of Paul. Very valid though.

Proper ammo and proper training works for most gun platforms. :)

Teddybear and Berto like this.
  9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Great story, but wasn't it determined to be fake?

Joshhtn, Slackinoff and NAZG26 like this.
  10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Agree on shotguns, they don't suck at all.

11. Ron 1st.

Ron 1st.

The most devastating single shot wound I have ever witnessed was a head shot delivered via. a 12 ga. 00 buckshot load at about 25 or so feet. Hence this is my preferred choice in a home defensive weapon.

12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Clint Smith said it best...pistols poke holes in people, rifles poke holes through people, a shotgun will tear big chunks of meat off people and throw it across the room! Nothing beats the fight-stopping capabilities of a standard load of 00 buck--NOTHING!

triggerjerk and NoStress like this.
  13. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Why do we add credence to such a statement that shotguns suck for home defense? Obviously some good discussion, but its almost like reiterating that the Earth is round.

14. Scott1970

Scott1970

I worked a murder/suicide a little while back where the suspect used 00 buckshot from a 12 gauge for direct hits to each of their heads. He also killed their dog.

I've seen a lot of really messed up stuff, but I saw some unbelievable things at that scene that topped everything else.

triggerjerk likes this.
  15. RogerWilco

RogerWilco

^^^ Yeah, I had one where a guy committed suicide by borrowing his neighbors shotgun, driving out to the middle of his own field, and placing the 12 gauge through the lower part of the steering wheel, with the stock resting on the floor and the muzzle pointing right at his head. He removed one boot and tripped the trigger with his toe.

I never would have imagined that the optic nerve bundles, behind the eyes, could be so long.
    The neighbor didn't want his shotgun back.

16. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Paul did a comparison of 410 vs 12 ga with 00 buck. The 410 had 5 .36 caliber balls at 900 fps vs the 12 ga having 8 .36 balls at 1200 fps. Granted the damage by a 12 gauge was far greater, but the damage by the 410 was still very bad. When you consider a .36 caliber projectile traveling at 900 fps, that is in the range of 38/9mm ballistics. They aren't hollowpoint, but there are five of them traveling close to the same point of impact. That piece made me reconsider uses for my Browning 410 BPS. Or maybe get a 410 Cruiser...

Cambo likes this.
  17. Teddybear

Teddybear

There's nothing that comes out of the business end of a shotgun I would want to get hit with.

pgg00 and MO Fugga like this.
  18. DannyB

DannyB

Great video. I would never think a shotgun "sucks" for home defense, if you do get off the shot. And I have shot a bazillion rounds at clay pigeons, so I figure I'm going to do alright if I ever have to use it.

One thing about the shotgun in today's changing political environment is the Grand Jury. You fire it once, you have essentially shot the intruder X number of times in one shot--extremely effective! With a handgun or rifle there is always the possibility that if you shoot an intruder a number of times it could be construed as overkill or over doing it, or even worse, an "execution." It depends on your state and county. I don't see how a Grand Jury could call it overkill with one round fired from a shotgun.

However from my first paragraph, where I refer to "if you get off the shot," I have always had a concern of close quarters with an intruder, and struggling with the intruder. Though I have a shotgun ready to go if I chose to get it, my likely go to gun is my Glock 22 with a light. I'm less likely to have it taken away from me and used on me vs. a long gun. I would hope to only fire it once or twice and not have a Grand Jury rule against me.

I have always figured that if I was awake long enough, or knew the intruder was far enough across the house, then maybe the shotgun is chosen. If I only have seconds and the intruder is damn close, I'm picking up the Glock.

19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Weapons retention and hand to hand are matters of technique. You can buttstroke the hell out of someone with a shotgun. A 2 point sling is also a superb weapon retention tool and nobody is gong to take your shotgun from you with a properly used sling. If your attacker is close enough to disarm you with a shotgun he's also close enough to disarm you with a handgun.

20. Ron 1st.

Ron 1st.

If you let an attacker get close enough for this issue to be of concern....Well shame on you..!