close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shotgun suggestions

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by isalamon, Jan 22, 2006.

1. isalamon

isalamon

I am considering buying an autoloading shotgun and would love to get some feedback from you guys (and gals).

I am considering all high end stuff, Benelli, Beretta, Browning and Winchester.

Please chime in with your comments, suggestions and experiences.

Thanks

2. punkture

punkture

I have a Remington 1187 Premier, left-handed version. It comes with a 28" barrel, 3 screw-in chokes, full, modified, and improved cylinder, and accepts 3" shells. I've taken tons of squirrels, rabbits, doves, and deer, never once giving me any problems with feeding. It goes for $677 on walmart's site.

3. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

For Autoloading Shotties, I've got a Remmington 1100, an 1187 and Baretta 391. I like them all and have shot all of them a ton except for the Baretta (I've only had it about 2 years and have maybe a couple thousand rounds through it). They have all been very dependable and overall I'd give the nod to the Baretta (in my line up).

Having said that, everytime I hunt with a friend of mine and get to shoot his older Benelli SBE (and his wife's SBE2) it makes me wish that I'd sell them all and just get the Benelli.

What Benelli says about recoil of the SBEs is true. It is the lowest recoil of any stock shotgun I've fired. Normally a 12 guage doesn't bother me until I've shot several hundred rounds for a couple days running.

The only issue I've had has been with the 1100. It was my first shotgun and it was basically just worn out. I think you'll get a longer life out of the Baretta or Benelli - JM2CW.

I may do like my friend did and buy a SBE2 and "give" it to my wife as a birthday present. I've always wanted a camo shotgun.

Anyway, I guess it all depends on what you want. Any of the mfgs that you mentioned make an excellent product. Except for Winchester, I think they'll all be around for a long while.

4. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I have shot all of the major manufacturer's semi-auto shotguns: Benelli, Beretta, Browning, Winchester, and Remington. I use a semi-auto for all my shotgun hunting endeavors. I currently own an older 1100 and a Benelli M1-Super 90.

I perfer the Benelli over the other brands because of the inertial recoil system. It is UTTERLY reliable and far easier to clean than the gas operated shotgun models. The way the Benelli comes apart for easy cleaning is truly amazing. In addition, the Benelli is lighter and easier to carry on an all-day pheasant hunt. The Benelli M1-Super 90 is my favorite semi-auto shotgun.

As a general rule, the gas operated shotguns kick less than the recoil operated models. My Teflon-coated 1100 is nice for sitting in a duck or goose blind. It's heavier than the Benelli, and it is gas operated, so the recoil with the magnum shells is more tolerable. But, my 1100 requires a more lengthy cleaning routine after a day's shooting.

Many of my clay target shooting friends swear by Berettas. They claim they are the softest shooting shotguns, but I honestly don't notice a difference when I shoot them side-by-side other gas guns. I use an over-and-under for clay target shooting, because it's easier to keep track of my empties.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

5. noway

noway

You never said what you want to use the SG for. I myself own a Benelli M1 super90 andt he M1 field. Both are good performers,reliable and adequate for the task they do. I also own 3 pump 870s for defensive & hunting uses. Once reliable and good performers.

If you stick with any of the brands you listed, I'm sure you will find something that performs for what you want ;)

6. isalamon

isalamon

Thanks to everyone for the replies and for sharing your experiences. I plan on buying 2 shotguns. An 870 police entry (if I can find one) for home defense. All my research indicates that's the best for my situation. It will make a nice companion for the night stand G21.

I am trying to make the auto an all purpose shotgun, trap and skeet, duck, dove, hog, deer, and anything else one might use a shotgun for. I'm trying to stay away from buying more than 2 shotguns if I can help it.

Again thanks to everyone and please keep the comments coming. I'm still a week or two away from plunking down the dollars.

7. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

You won't be dissapointed with an 870 police version.

Here is a pic of one of mine that I snapped tonight.

The only 2 things I don't like about this are the pistol grip and lack of ghost ring sights.

8. btebbs

btebbs Hawkeye

Get the Benelli. Shoot one first, of course, to make sure it fits you. However, they all come w/ shims to adjust the LOP, so you'll have a little flexibility there. It's not just the inertia recoil system that makes them what they are. I can't really explain it. You'll have to pick one up, point it and shoot it to see what I mean. But once you do, your search will be over.

9. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Just bought a Stoeger 2000 26" bbl, realtree camo, inertial recoil system (made by Benelli) and five choke tubes for $400.

Has patterned very well with an assortment of ammo (buckshot, reduced recoil buckshot, dove loads, turkey loads and waterfowl loads) and cycled/functioned 100%.

Took it out on it's first hunt the other day, again 100%, downed a goose on the first shot ;f

I really like this gun, light, swings well and points awesome. I'm very happy!

Stoeger 200 LINK

10. Castigliano

Castigliano

I like my benelli montefeltro, but I would check out the stoeger first.
    Bought a fox SXS that hits so well the benelli does not get out of the safe. Hope to sell the benelli off before everyone finds out about the bargin stoegers.
    The mexican dove shooting outfitters pick benelli's for a durability and reliabilty reason. Seriously look at inertia shotguns over gas action ones no matter what.
    c

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Dick Cheney may have a nice one for sale soon.

12. friar

friar

Benelli Super Black Eagle.....hands down.

Ultra-reliable and easy to clean. Can withstand lots of abuse.
    They are on the pricey side though.

13. gunguru1

gunguru1

I tried out my uncle's semi-automatic shotgun at the range (is this the same thing as an autoloading shotgun?) and it was a jam-o-matic. It was a pretty old gun, though, and I am not sure if it was ever cleaned or inspected.

-gunguru1

14. texasgunner

texasgunner

Have you looked at the saiga ?
    It is my favorite shotgun toy.