Shotgun Storage Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Jsferrazza, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Hey Guys!

So I just ordered my first pump action shotgun today that will be used for home defense, and will be picking it up from my FFL in a few days. I have a quality gun safe that all of my handguns are in, but it's not tall enough to put a long gun in.

I will be picking up a "rifle safe" in the next few weeks, but need a storage solution for my new shotgun until then. I need to secure it in something, and keep it out of sight, since I have a toddler running around the house, but still want it to be fairly easy to access.

I was considering using a hard plastic case, but have been hearing/reading that keeping your gun in a foam/fabric lined case is the quickest way to make it rust. Any thoughts on this?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

How old a toddler? A couple of gun hooks above a door frame will hold it well out of reach until you can get something more permanent.

3. MajorD

MajorD

Almost every new gun these days comes with a cable
    Lock in the box - cable lock through ejection port and loading gate and done. You still have your pistols to access for defense if needed

Current Resident and redrick like this.
  4. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

She wouldn't be able to reach that for sure. The one part I forgot to add is that it cannot be out in the open. The one request that the Mrs. has when ot comes to my guns, is that they have to be out of sight. :ack:

5. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I could definitely do that. Do you think it would be safe in a case of for a few weeks?

6. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Leave it un loaded and stashed

Leave it loaded and stashed high

Put the factory lock on it and forget about it until you get your safe.

Current Resident and Bill Keith like this.
  7. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

You could get a 40" length of 6"PVC pipe and mount it high up in your master bedroom closet. Out of sight and still easily accessible.

If it's intended as a defensive weapon, you don't want too many steps to get it in service.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  8. redrick

redrick

Keep it up high with a lock on it until you get a safe .

9. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

What do you guys think about using a carrying case in the meantime? I know they're not recommended for long term storage, but what about a few weeks?

10. collim1

collim1

It depends on the humidity in your area. Inside a house with a new case you might be ok, but it could also pick up a lot of humidity in storage or manufacturing before you bought it.

No way to know for sure. I had a foam case rust a really nice firearm once in just a few days. I haven't used one since.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Jsferrazza likes this.
  11. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I'm in Florida, hot and humid year round, so that probably isnt the best idea then.

12. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

WalMart and Academy and other big box stores sell thin walled lockable gun safes for less than $100. They work for what you need. You DON'T have to bolt them down on the floor. Put it in the corner of your master bedroom walk-in closet and call it a day. Place some of those anti-moisture packets in there and place the door key where accessible. I have one for rifles and it is packed and would be hard to move around, not impossible but would work well for keeping your child safe until you could teach her proper gun safety and she is of the age of reason. Go get one and chalk it off as your Christmas present to yourself and your peace of mind, daughter's safety and to placate your sweetheart.. If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy.:pumpkin:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On...et016&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Current Resident, fg17 and Jsferrazza like this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I find they lean in a corner very well, so that's where I keep the ones I have outside the safe. When my little brother was in high school, I once counted 17 rifles and shotguns either under his bed or leaning in the corners of his room.

14. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Well Bren, I'm sure your brother and I would get along great and would have a good time breaking bread and BSing:agree:

15. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

16. katonahjohn

katonahjohn

Give it a good wipe down and stick it under your mattress?
    A couple of hooks mounted over the door inside the closet, out of sight and easily accessible if you are tall enough.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  17. jp3975

jp3975

Just put it in the closet, unloaded. Or loaded and put a hotel style lock high up on the closet door.

You might also consider just keeping the chamber empty.

I doubt a toddler has the strength to load the gun, and even if they manage, theres just about no way they can shoot themselves, as the distance from the barrel to the trigger is probably longer than the kid is tall.

If you want to be extra safe put something in the chamber to block it that can be removed quickly.

Personally, id hang it over the door and if the wife didnt like it that would be too bad. Id rather keep a gun for home defence handy than in a safe.

If you are worried about rust, send it off to robar to have np3+ applied. Or have it painted with something like cerakote or moly resin. Or regularly oil it.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  18. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Just leave it un-loaded in the box it comes in. You've managed to not die without it for this long, a few more weeks won't kill you.

J.R. Bob Dobbs and Jsferrazza like this.
  19. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Wouldn't the cardboard box have the same negative effect on it as leaving it in a foam lined case though?

20. dudel

dudel

Jsferrazza likes this.